Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art Advice

• 30-04-2017 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,

I thought because I wanted some specific advice it would be better to start a new thread than put it into another thread... and I wouldn't know where to write anyway....

I'm 20, I've studied silversmithing and jewellery making to a pretty good level. Can sew very well (have done 2 years studying fashion design) and have done art since I can remember (painting, drawing) and have no problems with drawing or painting from images but I really want to develop MY paintings and drawings... both in a style that is mine and subject.
    I'm good at keeping a sketchbook, which probably could do with more focus but I have lots of ideas in my head about paintings or pieces I would like to do and no idea how to execute them... (I've always wanted to do sculpture but still don't know where to start!)

Can anyone give me advice? I don't want to do a degree course but other courses are an option but I can't afford half the art courses out there - materials are expensive enough. I've taught myself a lot of other things from books, so maybe there is a book or two that could substitute a course?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ej2222

That's exactly it... challenging not just full of hobbyists...

I suppose I'm big into mixed media, not really being held back, but I must admit to having no skill with oil paints, or not having painted on canvas before - more of a nerves thing... Love mixing watercolours and inks together. I'm interested in environmental issues and am interested in creating pieces around that, but even though I have snippets of ideas I don't know how to develop them... so I think I need help more with developing ideas and compositions and how to do this than techniques... Basically how to stop painting silly still lives and transform all this into a personal piece of art... Even going outdoors and painting I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ej2222

Great advice, thanks

Advertisement