Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do next?

Options
  • 30-04-2017 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for a a few opinions please.

I have a Trek 1500 SLR from around 2006. I bought it off a boardsie about 6-7 years ago and it has served me well/serves me well. I brought it over here to Switzerland 2 years ago. It has a few scrapes on the frame, the original Bontrager Serie 6000 wheels are no longer true and are well worn, I have replaced the rear chainset as it was readily available but because the bike is so old, ultegra parts arent so easy to find anymore.

The Ultegra shifters have worming on them and the top of the shift has had its paint scraped off from walls etc before I bought it.

It still shifts pretty much on the button, and I still love the way it looks.

I could probably sell it for around 500chf/475e here with the market which is slightly more than I bought it for. Any bike I have is never going to get huge use because I am a runner and my commute is long.

Would you sell or keep? I was looking at B'twin Ultra 900 AF as a possible replacement as decathlon had a sale on and they were only 699e but theyre all gone now.

I am leaning towards keeping it, as I dont think I could get better for my usage but maybe you have other thoughts, a few pics below. If you agree with keeping it, could you maybe suggest a decent budget wheelset please.
    Thanks for any replies.

IMG_20170430_112850.jpg

IMG_20170430_113020.jpg

IMG_20170430_112903.jpg

http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r527/Ardennes44/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20170430_112937.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

New wheels I'd say. Then if you do get a new bike swap wheels over.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Weepsie wrote: »
    New wheels I'd say. Then if you do get a new bike swap wheels over.

Any recommendations? Im thinking of going to 25 tyres instead of 23s

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Campagnolo Zondas or Fulcrum Racing 3 are often considered the best sub €400 wheels. The Zondas are very popular here. The Fulcrums are much the same by all accounts. I have the latter. They're great, albeit old. Lovely loud hub when freewheeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Thats a nice clean looking ride.

The wheels are shot or more so the rims but I'd imagine the hubs are probably well worn. Campag zondas are all the rage on here and bang for buck they're up there.

One thing I notice is the set up you currently have. Is the frame possibly to big for you or are you all torso with short legs? You have the saddle set very low and a very long stem on there. I assume it's not for aero benefit as the bars are wound back as if you're over reaching on the hoods.

Canyon/Rose would be my recommendation but if you're a runer probably no need to upgrade.

Thank you I will have a look at them now. I take it all wheels will fit right? Or will my old ultegra only fit on some wheels?

The frame is 60cm, I am about 6 foot 3 with average length legs and slightly longer than average upper. I think the frame is a little on the big size but it feels pretty comfortable at that setup. I use it for chasing through the city and into Germany when the traffic is bad on Saturdays.

I am no expert on the setup of bikes though I will say that. Is it possible to replace the shifters with a newer ultegra or does it all have to match up with the same amount of gears etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...Is it possible to replace the shifters with a newer ultegra or does it all have to match up with the same amount of gears etc?
    You'd have to stay with 9 speed shifters unless you're willing to change other parts. If they are working properly why change them? Is it just for aesthetic reasons?

(PS - you don't have to go for Ultegra).

You'd have to stay with 9 speed shifters unless you're willing to change other parts. If they are working properly why change them? Is it just for aesthetic reasons?

(PS - you don't have to go for Ultegra).

Just for aesthetics :o

Just as an aside to this, will 25mm tires or even 28mm tires fit on most standard road bike wheelsets? Im trying to you my current ones as a basis but cant find anything online

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Just as an aside to this, will 25mm tires or even 28mm tires fit on most standard road bike wheelsets? Im trying to you my current ones as a basis but cant find anything online
    25's should be no problem. With 28's you may not have adequate clearance (but they will fit on the wheels).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

check how much clearance there is between the current tyre and the inside of the top of the fork. i had issues on my bike - couldn't use a panarance ribmo 25mm on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

check how much clearance there is between the current tyre and the inside of the top of the fork. i had issues on my bike - couldn't use a panarance ribmo 25mm on it.

Looking at the final photo the fork clearance looks very like that on my Trek 1000 of the same vintage (though the forks are not the exact same, as mine has mudguard eyelets), and it has plenty of clearance for 25s, though they do complicate full length mudguards then :)

Thanks all, once again proving the cycling forum proving to be the most helpful of all boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Or stick it on Ricardo, they love paying over the odds for stuff here in Switzerland
    But be careful buying a bike over the border and getting it delivered here as they will hit you with all sorts of fees (VAT, customs etc).  I actually bought my bike (Ridley) online in Holland and got it delivered to Dublin and just brought it back when I was in Dublin next.

kilns wrote: »
    Or stick it on Ricardo, they love?paying over the odds for stuff here in Switzerland
    But be careful buying a bike over the border and getting it delivered here as they will hit you with all sorts of fees (VAT, customs etc).? I actually bought my bike (Ridley) online in Holland and got it delivered to Dublin and just brought it back when I was in Dublin next.

Yeah ricardo or tutti was where it would go up. Where are you yourself, Zurich?

I have a car so anything I buy will be brought in with a car and some people in it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

I am in Zug I actually fly back via Munich that time and got alot of questions at the border as to why my bike was so clean......

Advertisement