Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updating TV server

Options
  • 30-04-2017 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

I currently have a windows 8 based tv server with 4 DVB-S2 feeds and 2 DVB-T2 feeds. The system is starting to get a bit buggy, so I tried changing over to linux (libreelec and ubuntu), but unfortunately neither of my DVB cards are currently supported. This has got me thinking about a complete refresh of my setup. I am looking at two options:
    1. A VBox XTi-3340 Combo HD (2 x DVB-S2 and 2 x DVB-T), together with using a Wetek unit that I have with 2 x DVB-S2 inputs, or
    2. Megasat SAT>IP Server 3 - 4 x DVB-S2 to connect to TVHeadend on the pc. I would also need to source a dual DVB-T2 tuner compatible with linux.

I am leaning towards the Sat>IP option as it is likely to be more configurable in the years ahead. Would appreciate feedback though from anyone who has tried one or other of the systems I have referred to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The system is starting to get a bit buggy

Is this hardware or software caused? What make of cards?

Looking at your preferred option, maybe you could consider replacing your cards with ones that are more widely supported, thus giving you options into the future?
    Most of the TBS cards are fully supported in LibreElec for instance.

If the server hardware is ok and will accept a couple of PCI-e cards then it would seem to be all you need. Buy TBS and sell the existing cards.
    Run LibreElec with TVHeadend as backend manager for the tuners, and be able to connect to any and all tuners and stored media from any device on the LAN.

The backend server can be low spec .... I am using a dual core P4 in an old Dell Dimension without problems, regularly serving 5 devices on the LAN. (It was a dumped PC I cleaned and put LibreElec on)

There are other options too of course ....... FBC tuner and wideband LNB - see this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057717465

I am definitely of the opinion, regardless whatever tuner server/backend is used, that making the media available on the LAN is the best option (IP), rather than separate coax run throughout with separate tuners at the outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭tipperary

Is this hardware or software caused? What make of cards?

Looking at your preferred option, maybe you could consider replacing your cards with ones that are more widely supported, thus giving you options into the future?
    Most of the TBS cards are fully supported in LibreElec for instance.

If the server hardware is ok and will accept a couple of PCI-e cards then it would seem to be all you need. Buy TBS and sell the existing cards.
    Run LibreElec with TVHeadend as backend manager for the tuners, and be able to connect to any and all tuners and stored media from any device on the LAN.

The backend server can be low spec .... I am using a dual core P4 in an old Dell Dimension without problems, regularly serving 5 devices on the LAN. (It was a dumped PC I cleaned and put LibreElec on)

There are other options too of course ....... FBC tuner and wideband LNB - see this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057717465

I am definitely of the opinion, regardless whatever tuner server/backend is used, that making the media available on the LAN is the best option (IP), rather than separate coax run throughout with separate tuners at the outlets.

I think it is most likely software related, not fully sure though. This is part of the reason I was hoping that linux might work for me. One card is a BGT3595 - dual DVB-S2 and dual DVB-T. The other is a Mystique SaTiX-S2 Sky Xpress dual DVB-S2. That said, both cards have been running pretty much non-stop for the past five years, and the BGT unit was second hand then!

I guess the benefit of the options I was looking at over the TBS cards is cost. A quad tuner DVB-S2 card seems to be €250 plus, while a quad tuner sat>IP is about €150.

I fully agree on the media over LAN option though. I have been using the system like this for the past few years, and am delighted with the flexibility it gives. While the need to reset the existing system (and associated missed recordings of the soaps) has brought some grief from the other half, having a consistent system across all TVs (Kodi) is great.

Thanks for the input Johnboy. Do you know do the TBS cards turn up on ebay much, or am I better off to just bite the bullet and buy new?

tipperary wrote: »
    I think it is most likely software related, not fully sure though. This is part of the reason I was hoping that linux might work for me. One card is a BGT3595 - dual DVB-S2 and dual DVB-T. The other is a Mystique SaTiX-S2 Sky Xpress dual DVB-S2. That said, both cards have been running pretty much non-stop for the past five years, and the BGT unit was second hand then!

I guess the benefit of the options I was looking at over the TBS cards is cost. A quad tuner DVB-S2 card seems to be €250 plus, while a quad tuner sat>IP is about €150.

I fully agree on the media over LAN option though. I have been using the system like this for the past few years, and am delighted with the flexibility it gives. While the need to reset the existing system (and associated missed recordings of the soaps) has brought some grief from the other half, having a consistent system across all TVs (Kodi) is great.

Thanks for the input Johnboy. Do you know do the TBS cards turn up on ebay much, or am I better off to just bite the bullet and buy new?

There is a thread on here where an Xti was (and is) used in just the set up under discussion.
    You might have a look at that thread for inspiration.

Sorry but I have no idea about TBS cards on Ebay :(

Do Blackgold not now provide Linux drivers?
    Maybe you would not need to replace that if considering changing cards.
    Best bet there would be the LibreElec forum I think.
    You might be able to incorporate the BG drivers into LE.

While looking at my own situation - a rusting dish and damaged aerial - and also the need to do some changes with LNB and cabling etc. I am attracted to this unit
    https://www.cyberport.de/?DEEP=C399-11Q&APID=27
    I could sell my cards etc to help offset the cost.
    Take the output into tvheadend to do its 'magic' and the rest of the clients remain as they are. An R-Pi 3 or NUC might be all that is needed as backend server with storage on NAS/file server.
    It is a plan for the long term so I have not moved as yet.

Johnboy,
    thanks for all the advice. Blackgold released linux drivers some time ago, but they remain proprietary drivers and have not been updated. I had a look through some of the forums, some people are working on a way to get them working in Linux, but not quite there yet.
    I decided to just go with new TBS tuners. Ordered a new dual DVB-S2 and dual DVB-T. I'll see how I get on it with them, and maybe pick up a second DVB-S2 from the proceeds of selling the other cards if all goes well.

Johnboy,
    thanks for all the advice. Blackgold released linux drivers some time ago, but they remain proprietary drivers and have not been updated. I had a look through some of the forums, some people are working on a way to get them working in Linux, but not quite there yet.
    I decided to just go with new TBS tuners. Ordered a new dual DVB-S2 and dual DVB-T. I'll see how I get on it with them, and maybe pick up a second DVB-S2 from the proceeds of selling the other cards if all goes well.

I hope it all goes well for you ;)

• Advertisement

OK, got new setup sorted, all working well. Figured out that the old Mystique DVB-S2 system actually works fine with libreelec - I had missed out on one of the check boxes when setting it up first time.
    System running now for nearly two weeks with no reset - much better than the windows setup. Only issue now is trying to get channel logos set up. It looks like tvheadend can sort this, but have failed to get it to work. Am I better off just sorting the channel logos through each kodi installation?
    thanks

OK, got new setup sorted, all working well. Figured out that the old Mystique DVB-S2 system actually works fine with libreelec - I had missed out on one of the check boxes when setting it up first time.
    System running now for nearly two weeks with no reset - much better than the windows setup. Only issue now is trying to get channel logos set up. It looks like tvheadend can sort this, but have failed to get it to work. Am I better off just sorting the channel logos through each kodi installation?
    thanks

Great news that things have worked out well for you. :)
    Even better that your existing DVB-S card works in LibreElec.

I downloaded a set of logos and stored them on the server/backend.
    I then pointed each client Kodi to the location.
    There are probably better ways of doing this now ... but it was my solution back when ;)

There are all sorts of improvements in tvheadend since then, including bouquets, IPTV etc. :D

Thanks for posting back with your update.

Advertisement