Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advise on how to refinish this table

• 30-04-2017 12:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭

Hi.. I got this table and chairs at a charity shop for 80 euro last week. Weights a ton and is solid and strong.
    I thought I might be able to give it another lease of life.

Its soild oak. I plan to reapolster the the seats, but my first task is dealing with the table top.

I have a decent palm sander but no idea on what grits to use. I would also like to leave the color light oak.

But at the moment it is absorbing wetness from cups and dinner. I have small children. So it would need sealed ..

Any advise to give it a quick 2 day turn around.

Just the top. Legs are fine.

P1020967.jpg

P1020968.jpg

P1020969.jpg

forum image hosting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Good buy for 80 quid. The ideal thing is to strip it back to bare wood and reseal.
    A pad sander is OK but will take a while. If you could rise to a random orbital sander it would be more efficient. Start with 80 grit which will strip the old finish , then 120,240 and 320 grit to get a super smooth finish. Vacuum off the dust. I would use three coats of polyurethane applied with a good varnish brush. Ronseal is a good brand and will not look like liquid honey !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Thanks. Took your advise.

Varnish is quite difficult. Was think and gloppy. Hard to get on even. But i got 5 coats on and the table should last a long time.

New vinyl on chairs as well. .. Not perfect but I recon if I did everything again, it would be perfect.

P1020970.jpg

P1020972.jpg

how to screen capture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Well done - looks great. Polyurethane varnishes can vary a lot - the cheaper brands tend to be like thick honey. The whole trick with getting a good finish is to invest in a good brush and look after it for the next job.;)

Advertisement