Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(bad/rough) areas to avoid in dundalk (bridge street??

Options
  • 30-04-2017 3:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1

Hello lovely people its my 1st post here so if i post something thats irrelevant then apologies in advance..

i was looking up on daft.ie for commercial properties in Dundalk and i'm thinking about buying a commercial property on bridge street (to open takeaway/resturant) but i have read mix comments about dundalk/bridge street.
    also could you guys point out names of areas that i should avoid during day/night?
    i will be really gratefull if you guys could give me an honest suggestion please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

bridge street has 3 takeaways in it already, a little further up is clanbrassil street with one takeaway and a restaurant.

bridge street is seen as a little rougher than the areas closer to the town square, mainly due to some rough types drinking in the area at night. the rep is pretty much undeserved and overall the whole town is generally quiet enough with regard to misbehaviour at night, you will always get the odd drunk or scumbag in any area.

I would advise spending some time in the areas you are looking at first to get a sense of them. everyone's view is different and you don't want to invest time and money only to be disappointed.

(if you succeed come back and let me know, will pop in for a bite some night :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

There would be times I'd be more inclined to pickup a takeaway in Bridge Street (time of night) rather than go to Park Street Tbh but the poster above is 100%.
    Good luck with the business when you get it up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

op is banned after one post. That must be a record!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

how odd

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

Just shows ye, don't mess with bridge Street

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

If anyone is going to open a chipper somewhere (and if I had the capital I'd do so myself) it would be somewhere on the carrick road past the train station.

There's nothing that end of town - the nearest chipper for anyone living out the carrick or ardee roads being the Kingfisher on Park Street. Between Coxes, Ard Easmuinn, Lis na Dara, Mount Hamilton, the Garda Station, match nights in Oriel Park and all the traffic out to Kilkerley and Knockbridge there's a real gap there IMO. If you did pizza aswell you'd clean up I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,922 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Peter File wrote: »
    op is banned after one post. That must be a record!!
    Why? Is he a re-reg?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

mod owns a chipper in bridge street :)

just kidding, don't ban me :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

If anyone is going to open a chipper somewhere (and if I had the capital I'd do so myself) it would be somewhere on the carrick road past the train station.

There's nothing that end of town - the nearest chipper for anyone living out the carrick or ardee roads being the Kingfisher on Park Street. Between Coxes, Ard Easmuinn, Lis na Dara, Mount Hamilton, the Garda Station, match nights in Oriel Park and all the traffic out to Kilkerley and Knockbridge there's a real gap there IMO. If you did pizza aswell you'd clean up I reckon.

A Chipper was set up in the shop beside Oriel Park on at least 10 occasions over last 15 years. Each time its lasted a few months!

Was it always part of the garage?

Would need to be a standalone place IMO. If I'd have had the funds I'd have removed the garage from the Emo place and built a purpose built chipper and diner maybe with some parking.

As long as it looks like a garage you could have the best chips in ireland people would still ignore it.

• Advertisement

Planning on that road could be the issue.if you. Got Cheever's then you would be ok but otherwise I think that's why you're not getting the takeaway on the Westside

I'm on a Dodge phone today so sorry about the spelling etc above ^^ no fault and leg over

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Spiders Web would be a little gold mine if they copped on and sold it.

Yep that would be an absolute perfect location for it. Planning might be tough with the houses immediately to the side but with the train station and the pub nearby I reckon the council could see sense. You'd get a steady footfall in the evenings from the train station alone I reckon and then the inevitable rush once Kennedy's closes and the drunk zombies go about hunting down huge quantities of salty goodness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

A Chipper was set up in the shop beside Oriel Park on at least 10 occasions over last 15 years. Each time its lasted a few months!

Really? Before the garage was renovated there was the seperate chipper, Oriel Takeaway? - same guy was in it for years as far as i remember. About 2002/03 it was knocked and the garage shop Applegreen now think incorporated the space in to the garage shop. I did realise that the 'new' chipper that became part of the renovated garage had changed hands so many times. I suppose they are held to whatever times the garage opening time are and rent is probably enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

That "chipper" if you'd really call it that is well and truly a part of Muckians.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

MugMugs wrote: »
    That "chipper" if you'd really call it that is well and truly a part of Muckians.

Agreed...its actually the one aspect of the shop that let's it down. Even the deli isn't great. I am always surprised tho that people keep trying to make a go of the petrol station / shop next door. It changed hands again again few months ago and within weeks it's now ' under new management ' already ( unless they're just really really late with the signage) a chipper or Chinese here would be ideal. ...parking and all. I guess it's up to the owner as to what he rents it as/plans for ...decent chipper be great tho....cause it'll never compete with muckians as a shop.

They were just late with the signs. EK Fuels of the Lisdoo EK Fuels have owned it since renovation and had a trailer parked advertising EK Fuel prices while they were doing it up.

Advertisement