Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renewing tax online

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭w124man

jca wrote: »
    The law can be strange sometimes..

You bet it can !!

If you receive a car (or bike ) for nothing ( free ) it is classed as a gift and you must declare it to the taxman !! If you exchange payment - ?1 for example - then the object is legally yours. Just get a receipt!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

w124man wrote: »
    You bet it can !!

If you receive a car (or bike ) for nothing ( free ) it is classed as a gift and you must declare it to the taxman !! If you exchange payment - ?1 for example - then the object is legally yours. Just get a receipt!!

I don't suppose buying him drinks in the pub for years after counts? As I said to the Aul fell it would have been cheaper to go to the UK and buy a bike, certainly less hassle...

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

Just got my renewal in the post (not the usual email) for my Zephyr. No PIN included to tax it on-line like I have done in previous years. When I fill in the pin retrieval section on the motortax.ie website it says the vehicle is ineligible for on line renewal.

Tried to just type in the pin (which is the last 6 digits of the unique document number on the registration cert) it gave me the following message

LICENSING STATUS DETAILS

According to our records, a tax disc for this vehicle was requested online and has now been posted to the registered owner's address. If you have not received your disc 5 working days after you requested it, please contact the Motor Tax Online helpline (details below).

Obviously this isn't the case....and there were no helpline details below :mad:

What a stupid move to make vehicles, which were ok to tax online, now ineligible for online taxing.

Its the small things in life that piss me off:mad:

Edit: I fired off an email to see if this is a temporary error or is it a policy change. Awaiting response!

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

jca wrote: »
    Maybe they're finally clamping down on the fake insurance cert number scam.

Nope.

I just recieved a reply to my email this morning, seems its a temporary error that will apparently be resolved shortly

Dear Sir,

This office is aware of some on-line taxing issues relating to a few vintage/veteran vehicles, these issues will be resolved shortly. Vintage/veteran vehicles are eligible for on-line taxing.

In relation to your vehicle, an amendment has now been made to the database which must update overnight. Therefore, please use pin number 3####5 tomorrow.

Regards,
    James
    On-Line Motor Tax

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Big Red Fella

I tried to both tax & declare non use today same thing contact local tax office?

• Advertisement
Advertisement