Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oppressive moderation in Gay and Lesbian forum

Options
  • 30-04-2017 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

I've been censured twice by way of infraction within the last 12 hours or so. Apparently I was "discriminatory" by asking why the transsexual community should be lumped in with the gay community, my point being that gender reassignment is inherently different to homosexuality. To suggest somethingso non-pc raised the hackles of one moderator, who leapt to the defense of the other moderator(who had initiated the topic) and when I posted that I had appealed it, the other moderator sanctioned me.
    I find the mods Joeytheparrot and Babyandcrumble appear to have a particular orthodoxy, and should one have the temerity to deviate from that orthodoxy, one will be shut down and sanctioned. Furthermore, the one unfailingly thanks the posts of the other, as sure and night follows day, suggesting an agreed agenda. Kim Jong un should have such loyalty!
    The prevailing mood is of the let's-join-hands-and sing-Kumbya type, and sharp criticism and uncomfortable questions are not allowed. It lowers the quality of the debate and the debates are effectively meaningless
    Will Boards.ie rotate moderators so that personal fiefdoms are not created and agenda pushing is halted?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Do you wish to appeal the infractions? If so, the thread may be moved to the Dispute Resolution Forum.

tHB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

Do you wish to appeal the infractions? If so, the thread may be moved to the Dispute Resolution Forum.

tHB

I do, but it's unclear how to do appeal. Any help appreciated

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

If you wish to appeal the infractions, then you need to follow the flow chart at the top of the DRP forum:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1397

But that's just for the infractions/bans. If you wish to make a broader complaint about moderation, that's for the Helpdesk instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

Much appreciated

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

SILVAMAN wrote: »
    Will Boards.ie rotate moderators so that personal fiefdoms are not created and agenda pushing is halted?

In a word, no, that's not how Boards operates. Moderators are chosen on the basis of their contributions to the forum they moderate and to Boards in general. However there will always be people who don't like particular mods for whatever reason. But to suggest that we should start rotating mods so that we can be all things to all people would place an unrealistic workload on the mods, CMods and admins, all of whom are volunteers, to try to find new mods who are a) suitable; and b) satisfy whatever agenda someone feels is being ignored.

As regards your initial issue with transgender issues being discussed in the same forum as lesbian and gay issues, I do see your point that there are different issues at play, but the forum itself is merely mirroring society. LGBT is the standard defining acronym for the various communities and is understood by all. Whether that should be the case or not is a perhaps something for a wider discussion, but for now it's unlikely that Boards is going to deviate from this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

May I weigh in on this?

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    May I weigh in on this?

Please do.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I'm trying to get to the bottom of this myself, but regarding the thread in question, Silvaman derailed the thread from the first reply. I'm not taking sides and recommending a ban, but in the interest of sanity, I suggest locking the thread. What needs to be said has been said.

So with unanimous approval from Admin and Mods, I'll lock it.

Yep, lock it up as it's gotten completely derailed. If people want to start another thread on the topic they should be free to do so.

Thank you Zaph for facilitating and your keen advice. Joey got the lock before I did. Wrecked tired and feel asleep before your reply.

• Advertisement

OP has been sitebanned and has closed his account so I'll lock this one up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement