Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock of Cashel and scaffolding

Options
  • 30-04-2017 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

Hi all, can anybody tell me if the Rock of Cashel is still wrapped into scaffolds? I have read an article which says that all the scaffolds were to be removed by the end of last November. Has this been made? Is the Rock totally free of any element?
    Thanks so much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

if the Rock of Cashel is still wrapped into scaffolds?

Hi irishStones. The Rock of Cashel, was never "Wrapped" in scaffolding as you suggest in your post.

The scaffolding was on a significant area of the site to enable significant conservation work on Cormacs Chapel. a 12th Century Romanesque building

The conservation work was launched after an investigation of environmental conditions in the Chapel showed that while the building was structurally stable it was vulnerable to the adverse effects of penetrating rainwater on its sandstone fabric.
    Poor roof drainage caused a green algae growth on the internal walls with resulting damage to the unique frescos.

Thankfully the scaffolding is now removed, and the Rock is a beautiful as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Thanks PacMan, I used a wrong term, I apologize.
    I drove by the Rock so many times in the past years and saw that the south section (not the whole complex) was behind a thick scaffolding. I talked to an influent local who told me that the situation was getting embarassing and that no forecast for the removing of the scaffoldings could be made.
    You're telling me that all the scaffoldings have been now removed, and this is a good news indeed.
    Thanks for your time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,561 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ya it's all gone now and looks great. Rotten eyesore when it had the scaffolding, same as Cahir Castle. Both look great now again

Thanks callaway92, that's great news!

Sorry if I bump this thread up this late, I should have done it much earlier.
    When in last June I visited Ireland, I was in Galway and met a couple of tourists who told me they had gone visiting the Rock of Cashel a few days earlier. I asked them if the scaffoldings had been removed and they told me that they were still in place. Because you had told me the opposite, I thought they were wrong and probably they had seen a different place (first time tourists, they could have mistaken the places).
    A week later I drove by the Rock and saw the scaffoldings still there, where they have been for the past 10-12 years.
    So I think we'll have to wait some more years before the monument is back to normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,561 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Wha? I could’ve sworn even last week there’s no scaffolding there

I'm truly sorry for my late answer, I do apologize!
    What I know is what I saw in June, and what I saw was just the same that I saw a year before and the years before that.
    In the last decade I have always seen something like this
    Rock of Cashel scaffolding

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

I posted a reply last june, and the scaffolding had already been removed at that time.
    Is there a reason why you drag up old posts and still repeat the same question ?

The reason is that your last post of May told me that the scaffolding had been removed, and when I drove by the Rock six weeks later the scaffolding was still there, I saw it with my own eyes.
    I can live my life all the same, but because I live out of Ireland and would like to visit Rock of Cashel during one of my trips, I would be glad to know it beforehand so to optimize my itinerary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i drove past there saturday and its not there

• Advertisement

OK, thanks so much to PacMan and to the_pen_turner :)

Advertisement