Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phone bought through network vs. SIM-unlocked retail?

• 30-04-2017 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi,

I am considering getting a new phone for a family member as a present. I've considered Amazon and all those sites, but my network actually has decent prices for the ideal models, if I buy them outright with my current PAYG account. However, I don't know if this is the right move, especially as I've never actually bought a smartphone through a network before (Honestly, the last time I did that, the device in question was a Nokia. with buttons :p). I can't help thinking it'll cause problems if this family member tries to use their SIM, which is on a different network, with a phone I'd buy this way. even though it might be SIM-unlocked. Also, I assume the phone and its IMEI will be linked to my network account, which might make any repairs or whatever difficult.

So, should I buy an off-contract phone, or am I just being paranoid about problems carrier phones are linked to in my head? I have about a week to decide, btw. thanks for reading, and hopefully answering :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Telcos are just that, Telcos. They provide a service. Retailing isnt their business, in fact the shops tend to be run by entirely different companies. They only have them because they have to.

As such, myself and many others have had crappy experiences with them. Its normal for repairs to take three weeks etc.

Argos, Amazon etc are retailers. Its their bread and butter. Ever been to an Argos returns desk? Couldnt be more helpful.

Buy the handset on Amazon.de.

NB: Chances are it would be simlocked so buying on your network for theirs would be silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

ED E wrote: »
    Buy the handset on Amazon.de.

+1 I have bought my last three phones from Amazon.
    NB: Chances are it would be simlocked so buying on your network for theirs would be silly.

Most of the network shops do sell unlocked phones but their prices for sim-free models are very uncompetitive and in part that's a tactical move on their part because they want to make the network subsidised phones look more attractive than buying outright because it's all about locking you into a 24/36 month contract. So it's the last place to go if you want a sim-free model, buy online instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

coylemj wrote: »
    Most of the network shops do sell unlocked phones but their prices for sim-free models are very uncompetitive and in part that's a tactical move on their part because they want to make the network subsidised phones look more attractive than buying outright because it's all about locking you into a 24/36 month contract. So it's the last place to go if you want a sim-free model, buy online instead.

I think you're confusing buying a PAYG handset and buying on a high tariff bill pay plan with network locking. eg: E600 iPhone + no contract or E200 + 24 month contract. Both are still locked to the provider.

Personally, I usually buy SIM unlocked, but there are benefits to buying from a carrier.

If the family member is on a network and have no plans to be switching, then there's no issue with it being SIM locked. Also, you have the benefit of being able to go into a bricks and mortar shop and talk to someone if you have issues.

Edit: buying for them on another network isn't a good idea, however. Chances are the phone will be locked to your network, so I'd be researching SIM unlocking beforehand. Which device are you looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CoffeeAnathema

Basil3 wrote: »
    Which device are you looking at?

Samsung Galaxy A5 ('17) or something similar.

Saying that, I've found equally good prices on komplett today, so I might not have to do this at all :phew:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I think you're confusing buying a PAYG handset and buying on a high tariff bill pay plan with network locking. eg: E600 iPhone + no contract or E200 + 24 month contract. Both are still locked to the provider.

I am not confusing anything with anything. I have often looked at prices in network shops and some of the phones on display are shown with an unlocked (sim-free) price.

Advertisement