Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is There Such a Thing as a Padding for Roadbike Saddles?

Options
  • 30-04-2017 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,943 ✭✭✭✭

I use my roadbike as my main transport around town most of the time during the week so Im not dressed for cycling a lot of the time. I recently ordered hybrid pedals with SPD on one side and flat on the other but I was wondering if in a similar vein to not having to change shoes I could just pad the saddle with one of those gel covers or something?

Its not an uncomfortable saddle its just way nicer in cycling shorts but I only wear those for long rides. I know this will be frowned upon on this board but I dont race or anything like that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Personally, Gel covers look to be less comfortable. They will move from side to side under you.
    Check out Aldi/Lidl - they normally have cycling offers around this time of year. You won't know if it works unless you try.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Try get a Brooks saddle or one of those spoon saddles I hear good things about both. The later being considerably cheaper.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

As above. They move around and cause more issues than they're worth. A middle ground might be discreet padded "undershorts" http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLOOPEFITSHTPD/on-one-performance-fit-under-shorts-with-pad

I use them with MTB style shorts for commuting when I don't want to go full bibs and whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,943 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah I was going to ask about something like that aswell, is there anything like a regular pair of O Neills or Nike/Adidas tracksuit bottoms with pockets but padded like cycling shorts? Same question for shorts...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Thargor wrote: »
    Yeah I was going to ask about something like that aswell, is there anything like a regular pair of O Neills or Nike/Adidas tracksuit bottoms with pockets but padded like cycling shorts? Same question for shorts...

Some MTB shorts have padded inserts and are not that obvious at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Al Wright

A gel type saddle cover should be ok for short cycle runs, I use one on a sports saddle for short runs in normal clothing. I modified the cover so that it could be fitted tighter to the saddle.
    On longer (touring) spins when wearing baggy shorts, I use this padded liner,

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/endura-clickfast-mesh-liner-ss17/rp-prod51305

those have similar pad to normal cycling shorts.

Advertisement