Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert history - special topic

Options
  • 30-04-2017 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Trying to come up with ideas for my srs and would appreciate any thoughts and comments. Some ideas I had
    -bombing of Greenpeace ship (is it too recent?)

-Cuban involvement in Angolan civil war

-some aspect of the Israeli/Palestinian conflict

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

I done the first transatlantic flight by Alcock and Brown and it was so easy to write about. My teacher also said that it would be unique as not many people would consider taking it on. There's also the north stand bombings (very popular).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

sligolad1 wrote: »
    Trying to come up with ideas for my srs and would appreciate any thoughts and comments. Some ideas I had

Consider taking something local, or with a local or at least Irish link.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Consider taking something local, or with a local or at least Irish link.

This is what all the Chief Examiner's reports recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

Did mine on the involvement of Hitler Youth in the Battle of Berlin and got a very good mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Fadó fadó I did the massacre at Katyn

Thousands of Polish army officers executed in a forest and then the Germans and Soviets blamed each other and tried to use it for propaganda. 

Got a very good score

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Fadó fadó I did the massacre at Katyn

Thousands of Polish army officers executed in a forest and then the Germans and Soviets blamed each other and tried to use it for propaganda. 
    God, that one rings a bell.

One of the really sad / shameful events for the human race that makes even historians yearn to reach for the whiskey and drink til we forget it ever happened, for the sake of our sanity! :(

Ok, let's be clear ... a really good / flawless project will get a really good / flawless mark regardless. Markers play fair.

However, let's note that for years and years the Chief and A/Chief Examiners for history have been encouraging local and Irish-linked projects, and bemoaning the fact that there aren't more of them; it's been a really consistent issue highlighted year after year.

On top of that, the reality is that sources available for locally related issues tend to be better / more dependable / easier to critique with some degree of confidence that one isn't talking out of where one sits! >_>

So, two decent projects ... one is about Irish aces in the RFC in WW1, one is about the Cubans in Angola ... taking into account all these probabilities which they focus on in maths these days, which both spurious and I escaped thank fook! ... which is likely to find it easier to get that extra mark or two? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Only restriction is that it has to be before 1989 - the Rainbow Warrior bombing was in 1985 - so it is good to go.
    This is a broad topic and would be too broad for a research topic
    Again this is broad - but you could do something specifically on the six-day war or the Yom Kippur war for example.

This might help

https://leavingcerthistory.net/research-projects/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

So, two decent projects ... one is about Irish aces in the RFC in WW1, one is about the Cubans in Angola ... taking into account all these probabilities which they focus on in maths these days, which both spurious and I escaped thank fook! ... which is likely to find it easier to get that extra mark or two? ;)
    While the Chief Examiner has encouraged an increase in local or Irish linked topics the examiners will not penalise topics that do not fall into this category or give extra marks for local based topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Hanwellian

My son has just done his on the failure of the Gallipolli campaign during WW1

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

I did mine on the Life of Dan Donnelly, an Irish boxing hero (who's first two fights took place about a 10 minute drive from me).

• Advertisement
Advertisement