Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rocking Chair

• 30-04-2017 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Project is to build a rocking chair. Any suggestions as to what timber I should go for baring in mind the type of chair it is hopefully going to be.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Native Ash would be nice for a rocking chair if you have a way of working it, but I have also seen them made from 3✖1 1/2 pao white deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭timfromtang

sailing wrote: »
    Project is to build a rocking chair. Any suggestions as to what timber I should go for baring in mind the type of chair it is hopefully going to be.

Thanks

Advice??
    Hmmm....

well If I were making a rocking chair, my timber choice would depend on the How

The how I am going to make my chair.

If I were going to use shaving horse, and cleft green timber, drawknife, bit and brace and auger, then ash would be my first preference, or perhaps spanish chestnut, nice fresh green and juicy logs, easy to cut and split, drying down during the making, and shrink to fit joints.

However If I were going to use power tools and cabinet making techniques, then I'd perhaps prefer some nice dry Oak or Maple, glued and pinned joints.

its your chair, what timbers do you like to use?

tim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Advice??
    Hmmm....

If I were going to use shaving horse, and cleft green timber, drawknife, bit and brace and auger, then ash would be my first preference, or perhaps spanish chestnut, nice fresh green and juicy logs, easy to cut and split, drying down during the making, and shrink to fit joints.

However If I were going to use power tools and cabinet making techniques, then I'd perhaps prefer some nice dry Oak or Maple, glued and pinned joints.

tim

Precisely. Have a look at the famous rocker made by Sam Maloof. If you tackle that , it has to be American black walnut.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭sailing

Advice??
    Hmmm....

tim

I'd love to make it with as much old school technique as possible but as a relative novice I suspect it will be more power tool and cabinet making technique. It's for my other half for our first baby for us to use during the expected long nights so I want to make it as personal as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

I'd love to make it with as much old school technique as possible but as a relative novice I suspect it will be more power tool and cabinet making technique. It's for my other half for our first baby for us to use during the expected long nights so I want to make it as personal as possible.

If you can find some Elm it is ideal. It was always the traditional wood for chair seats as it won't split.There are loads of plans available online - for a consideration of course.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭timfromtang

as a relative novice
    so you describe yourself

I'd suggest Mike Abbot's books on Green woodworking.
    It has the advantage of using only a few simple and relatively cheap or homemade tools, and cheap or free raw material in green ash logs.

I'd not recommend cabinet making tech to a relative novice.

A chair is a difficult piece, it must be light, strong, and graceful, and as a rocker not squeaking is an advantage.

tim

Advertisement