Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with GTX 780, sandybridge and MSI P67

Options
  • 30-04-2017 8:09pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anybody have any experience with this? I want to put a GTX 780 into a MSI P67 GD53 but to do so yields a B2 error on boot before post, it stays there for a minute or two and then boots normally (however there is no possibility of ever getting into the bios).

To fix this I see I have to flash my bios to the newest version ME8, but that version is for ivybridge and will not support OCing well for my 2500k sandybridge any more (or so I am reading?). To enter the bios I currently have to stick in my older 560ti.

Any ideas or am I just ****ed due to MSI being stupid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭pogcica

Have you got the newest bios for your graphics card? See if you can update that from within windows.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'll have a look at that once I get windows working, flashing my bios to a different version just broke it, as if I wasn't having enough trouble :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I've had so much trouble with this I think I will just accept the 2 minute boot time and no bios, it's a disaster. Recently the pc wouldn't power the monitor or usb peripherals until I used the mobo power on button randomly. I'll await a proper upgrade before doing any more messing. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Does the card itself have a bios switch?

Have you updated to the latest bios also for the board? I can't see how a bios update would disable overclocking, seems incredibly unlikely on a board like that.

Worst case scenario even if that were true, the leap from a 560ti to a 780 versus a stock 2500 v 2500k @ say, 4Ghz, would far outweight the loss.

Not sure if the card has a bios switch (didn't know that was a thing). If I update to the latest mobo bios and there is a problem with OCing then I can't go back (It bricks the board if you try). It's not that it disables overclocking it's that their forums are riddled with problems with it (for sandybridge only, it not OCing, appearing OC but throttling under load, having to force it to be 4.5ghz all the time, even idling etc). Several of the MSI bios' for older boards have warnings to not upgrade if you are on sandybridge. I do think I know enough to fix all my problems now but it would take some time, I have settled for no bios and everything is fine :D The OC is important as battlegrounds is so CPU heavy.

I am loving the 780 though, went from 10-30 FPS in battlegrounds to 40-75 which is a huge difference.
    I'll probably fix things up when I feel like tinkering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I have the MSI P67A-GD55 and have updated it to the last bios version as I had to when using my r9-390

does this relate to the Cougar Point chipset flaw that Sandybridges were having at the time and you needed the B3 revision board?

That is my revision yes (B3), but I can't recall the exact reasoning as well as you! I think the main problem here was they focused on ivybridge too much and let some problems sneak in for sandybridge. I just can't face messing around with it any more right now, I've had to reinstall windows twice recently as flashing the bios broke the boot record and fixing that broke windows. Soon...soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

ha no way I remembered that off the top of my head, google was my friend

Advertisement