Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does your family worry?

• 30-04-2017 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

I've had a bike on and off for most of the past forty years. These days it's for pleasure and the odd 50 km commute. Never had an accident worth talking about. Lost a few classmates in the late seventies/ early eighties and it always stays with me. I took the bike to work last Friday and left the phone in the pannier. There was a fatal bike accident in Offaly around the time I was travelling ( near limerick ) and I had five missed calls from a worried wife when I picked it up. She'd heard it on the news.
    I think I'm a safe rider as far as it goes. Does your oh get worried when you're off on a spin?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

SeamusG97 wrote: »
    I've had a bike on and off for most of the past forty years. These days it's for pleasure and the odd 50 km commute. Never had an accident worth talking about. Lost a few classmates in the late seventies/ early eighties and it always stays with me. I took the bike to work last Friday and left the phone in the pannier. There was a fatal bike accident in Offaly around the time I was travelling ( near limerick ) and I had five missed calls from a worried wife when I picked it up. She'd heard it on the news.
    I think I'm a safe rider as far as it goes. Does your oh get worried when you're off on a spin?

I worry when the wife goes into Dublin shopping
    on her own these days..it's only natural

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Yes, everyone close to you worries about you when you're out.

I've had lots of crashes over the years and its always been the same when I've either rang home from the hospital or in the days before mobile phones I'd arrive home later to be told "I KNEW you were going to crash today" ~ but the "knew" it because whether they tell you or not your loved one's worry about you each and every time you go out.

If my son is more than ten or fifteen minutes late home I begin to worry.

He's selling his bike now (moving up CC) and went to take some photos in a nice location. I was expecting him back inside thirty minutes, when it went into 40 I began to worry. At 50 minutes I was worried sick and listening for the sound of a bike or a siren.

Almost an hour passed before he came home. He'd met another biker and got chatting!.

So yes, all our loved one's worry when we're out whether they let on to us or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Of course they worry, but my mrs knows if I decide on something you could need 10 brave men to stop me so she says nothing to discourage me anymore, I've changed bikes a bit over the last few years and when the blade arrived it did cause a little concern but now it's all good, I think lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

After reading the responses so far I feel like a bad wife for not worrying about my husband :eek:
    We both ride and we both tend to say we're just going for a quick spin and end up disappearing for hours.
    It's a bit different for us though as we both only ride bikes so if we were to be worried everytime the other is out on the bike, we'd spend half our lives worried.

The one rule we have is to always bring your phone and make sure it's fully charged before you leave. I got caught out without my phone once and I was in a spot of bother so ended up having to flag down a passing car to ask to use their phone, and it was difficult to get someone to stop because people are so wary of strangers these days so I learned my lesson that day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

They better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

I went down for a haircut a month ago and ended up waiting an hour with no phone on me and my dad said he was waiting for sirens. I'll text him when I arrive at work in Dublin cause its 40 miles away and more hectic than where I usually ride the bike.

He commutes to Dublin too and sometimes it'd be in the back of my mind if he's really late coming home. I'm not so much scared of him crashing in the city but on a national road its a different story.

That's the thing about living in a rural area, if you crash the bike you're gonna crash big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I worry about my girlfriend driving her car on the m50 to work or home. If I don't get that text to say she's home or at work I wonder what is wrong. I never think the worst but I do think about other bad things.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I've had lots of crashes over the years and its always been the same when I've either rang home from the hospital or in the days before mobile phones I'd arrive home later to be told "I KNEW you were going to crash today" ~ but the "knew" it because whether they tell you or not your loved one's worry about you each and every time you go out.

He's selling his bike now (moving up CC) and went to take some photos in a nice location. I was expecting him back inside thirty minutes, when it went into 40 I began to worry. At 50 minutes I was worried sick and listening for the sound of a bike or a siren.

Almost an hour passed before he came home. He'd met another biker and got chatting!.

So yes, all our loved one's worry when we're out whether they let on to us or not.

Mak you can get a tracker that give you an app on your phone so you can see where he is. If the bike is moving at least you know he's probably on the way home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,355 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Zascar wrote: »
    Mak you can get a tracker that give you an app on your phone so you can see where he is. If the bike is moving at least you know he's probably on the way home.

Or it's stolen :)

I text the OH just before I set off home from work. If I get delayed (unexpected chat with boss, and such) I hear all about it but within the normal range it's grand.

I used to be out of contact for weeks at a time on Euro tours and nobody lost their s**t or even worried, but this is modern society I suppose.

Scrap the cap!

Yeah my mum cries because of it and my last relationship ended because of it.

I've had dad crash and break himself up when younger, friends break legs/arms , godfather blind in one eye and brain damaged so my mum not exactly inspired with confidence haha

youve driven a long time, how many times were your fault and how many others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

SeamusG97 wrote: »
    ...Does your oh get worried when you're off on a spin?

Yes. Very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

My parents worried alot about it, when I was first on bikes I came off and smashed a wrist, luckily a Garda car was behind and was able to give me a lift home, my mother was in tears when they knocked on the door.
    Now, it's more the inlaws that worry about it. I think the life assurance keeps my wife's mind off it.

Advertisement