Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clean your gutters pal?

• 30-04-2017 8:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭

Got an unexpected knock on the door. Some fella in his 40s who wanted to know if I wanted the gutters cleaned. 40 euros. "Your neighbour up the road just got them done"

My instinct was to turn him away even though the fecking gutters are in dire need of a clean.

Did I deny a chap an honest bit of work or was he casing my house looking for things to rob?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Got an unexpected knock on the door. Some fella in his 40s who wanted to know if I wanted the gutters cleaned. 40 euros. "Your neighbour up the road just got them done"

My instinct was to turn him away even though the fecking gutters are in dire need of a clean.

Did I deny a chap an honest bit of work or was he casing my house looking for things to rob?

Ha, no you did not!

I bet had you let him he would have found a "broken" roof tile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

You made the right call and saved yourself a potentially massive headache.

As oppenheimer1 notes they miraculously find things suddenly broken that need fixing.

Or they "underestimated" the original effort required for the job etc etc and it goes on and on.

Should you disagree with what it cost you might find the chap back at your door in the future with some toughs to get what you "owe" him.

Only hire people whom you specifically are after for a job (as opposed to some random person speculatively approaching you) and preferably via recommendation by a family member, work colleague or friend.

Maybe he's legitimate and honest but all the stuff I hear and read about... better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭xii

Fell for this crap last year, shower of ****s filled my gutters with rocks the had the cheek to return to see if I required another service, never buy from the door I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I thought that crowd usually said "Do you want the gutthers clayned, Boss? !!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,284 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Do you want your auld lobby washed down .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭xii

Avoid the ones with curly black hair and call you sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

As everyone said, you made the right call, I hate seen f**kers like those around, a more than fair chance they're either con artists or robbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

A few weeks ago i got a knock on my door.Do you want your gutters cleaned?I said no.10 minutes later another knock at the door.Hello there my colleague was here a couple of minutes ago.We were working on the house next door etc.Then he started spouting bull**** about how the water from our gutters were driving the neighbours mad etc and that they needed to start working on my house right now.I just said to him if my neighbours have a problem then they can come to me about it.I don't give work to random people who knock at my door.Definitely an attempt to scam money out of people.

Advertisement