Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping night time bottle for 12month old

Options
  • 30-04-2017 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

My little one has just turned 1 and about 8 weeks ago i weaned from breast to bottle. She fussed at the bottle for about a fortnight but now she cant get enough. Problem is that most nights she wakes screaming in pain with wind. Ive tried watering down her bottles and putting her on a slower flow teat but it doesn't really help. So i think I'm going to just drop her bedtime bottle and give her a weatabix or sonething before bed. Has anyone done anything similar for a baby that age? Any pros/cons?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

yellow hen wrote: »
    My little one has just turned 1 and about 8 weeks ago i weaned from breast to bottle. She fussed at the bottle for about a fortnight but now she cant get enough. Problem is that most nights she wakes screaming in pain with wind. Ive tried watering down her bottles and putting her on a slower flow teat but it doesn't really help. So i think I'm going to just drop her bedtime bottle and give her a weatabix or sonething before bed. Has anyone done anything similar for a baby that age? Any pros/cons?

I don't know if it helps, but when my daughter hit 13 months I wanted to wean her off the breast and just dropped the night feed altogether. I can't see any harm in dropping the bottle if it's causing discomfort. I didn't give any pre bedtime snack at all. I figured she got enough during the Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Yellow hen I would just drop it. They don't nutritionally need bottles during the night at this age. I've just dropped it for my just turned 1 year old. She was EBF til 8 weeks, combination fed til 7-8 months and then bottle fed til 12 months. As I was making the switch to no longer sterilising and the switch from formula to cow's milk at 12 months anyway, I decided to ditch the bottle of milk altogether.
    We started stopping the night feeds (bottles) a few weeks before she turned 1. And as of last week there are no longer any bottles in the fridge so it's dropped completely now. I've been giving her a bottle of water when she wakes up during the night, she initially takes to it with gusto, realises its water and then stops drinking it. We have to give her calpol or neurofen before bed most nights at the moment coz of teething anyway. We had a few hairy nights after we stopped the night feeds but she has now started to sleep through the night...........of course coz I told you that now it wnot' happen tonight haha!
    I would just drop the night feed. A 1 year old doesn't nutritionally need bottles during the night and if they don't agree with her defo just get rid of them. I would have just gone straight from the boob to the sippy cup of cow's milk at 1 year if I was you.
    From now on I'm only giving tap water in a bottle or cow's milk in a sippy cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Oh and by the way I just give bottle of tap water before bed as well. She takes a good sup out of it. I wont' lie, it's harder to get her to sleep now than it was when I was filling her up with a bottle of warm formula, but I see it as a necessary stage we just have to suffer through til she get used to it.
    Generally putting her to bed goes like this at the moment: I put her down and she cries for 5 mins. I go in, pick her up and cuddle her with the dodie for 5 mins. I put her back down. She generally cries again for 5 mins. I go in, cuddle her with dodie again for 5 mins by this stage she starts to drift off in my arms. I put her into the cot and she's asleep for the night. The only time the plan goes wrong is when the toddler subsequently wakes her with her tantrums (very often) then we have to repeat the whole rigmarole again.
    I can't wait to live in a 2 storey house! So I can keep them apart. At the moment we're in an apartment where all rooms open off one central hall :O

Advertisement