Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earplugs, do you use them?

• 30-04-2017 9:22pm
    Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭

It would be interesting to see what proportion of people use earplugs when on their bikes.

Do you use earplugs? 30 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 30 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Every single time bar none now. Don't know if it's my helmet but I would be deaf if doing more than a couple of minutes at 120km/h without them

I have laserlites, like 1.50 for 10 pairs on amazon or something. they last a few uses per pair. only annoying part is when you have them in and want to talk to someone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Big tour yes, otherwise no.

And no I aint in a band......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Wha?

Wha?

If I am going on a tour around Europe or the like then I use ear plugs, If I am out scaring grannies on a sunday spin then I dont.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

Sometimes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

More than 5 minutes above 80km/h and yes. Otherwise no. So the average city commute I wouldn't bother, otherwise yes, every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Earphones not ear plugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

I wear them anytime I'm on the motorway, etc. Not for short or city journeys.

I have a few pairs; all customs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭ratracer

Yup!!
    I am already showing signs of hearing loss, so it is very rare now that I ride the bike or even the lawn mower without ear plugs. ( And I'm only a young fella!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Short spins no but I do when going for a longer spin and also depends on which bike/helmet
    I've a caberg thats quite noisy and a shark thats very quiet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I commute 5 days a week. Total of 90 mins per day. So yes I use ear plugs. They are cheapo ones from the job but I have been meaning to invest in a better brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

I have hearing loss and severe tinnitus after a lifetime on bikes. I never wore ear plugs in the early years and only started when it was too late.

You should wear them all the time, yes, even on the commute or you WILL regret it.

Believe me, you don't want tinnitus, severe or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

My bike sounds like a pile of sh1te without earplugs. All the rattling and exhaust whistling is gone and it sounds better.

I got 25 pairs of Oxford foam ones and they lasted me and my dad about 8 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Serious question.. I've never worn ear plugs, but out of curiosity would my swimming ear plugs suffice for a ride?.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Serious question.. I've never worn ear plugs, but out of curiosity would my swimming ear plugs suffice for a ride?.

Depends on the decibel rating, don't think ones designed for swimming will be that high. I foam ones I use are rated for 35dB. Cuts out all the wind noise, so you can hear the engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Hey Mak. I'd say they would make the journey more comfortable but genuine ear plugs block out frequencies that you might not notice but could be doing harm.

I buy a big box of these once a year (3M bell shaped ear plugs) http://www.ebay.ie/itm/3M-ES-01-020-EAR-Soft-FX-Ear-Plugs-FREE-UK-P-P-/330838313434?var=&hash=item4d078009da:m:maNQNGlEpOhGWl0zjmTYcVQ

A pair will last me about 10 journeys before I don't like the look of them. I put them into a lunch bag and then into my pocket.

Also they've gotten me a few sound nights sleep while on holidays. I read once that you shouldn't wear them on an airplane unless you really need to.

Cant see why not, but they might drown out (pun intended) all the noise. I find most earplugs just take the noise down to acceptable levels not mute the world and the bike. With the swimming plugs being water tight they might be over kill. But try them out for the laugh.....hell wear a swimming cap under the helmet!

I like to be still able to hear the engine and exhaust in case there is a problem and emergency services etc.

I bought a pair of travel ear plugs and found them to be really good better then most plugs made for bikes TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Pugzilla wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see what proportion of people use earplugs when on their bikes.

WHAT??

sorry.:P:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Set of earbud headphones on me for listening to my satnav/mp3 and some cheap ass memory foam earbuds from Ebay china.
    Does a grand job,but can still hear engine.exhaust and sirens a comming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

Use them all the time - bike sounds a lot less like a bag of bolts. It does tend to make me go faster though. I use the expanding type of plug that blocks almost everything out. I'm always explaining to the person at the at the pump if I stop for fuel that I can't hear them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    If I am going on a tour around Europe or the like then I use ear plugs, If I am out scaring grannies on a sunday spin then I dont.

;)

I think you missed the joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Yeah. Constant wind and exhaust noise will have a long term effects otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

If I'm not listening to music then yes. Probably should wear them more though.

The cheap 3m foam ones are as good as the expensive ones that you'll never use for fear of losing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Always. Orange 3M ones off eBay cost nothing and do a great job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

Never get on the bike without them!
    Bought them about two years back and they never left my jacket pocket. Think I have remembered to take then out of my pocket and into my ears for about two spins...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Ordered a box off eBay today for about ?33. Quantity 200. I normally get a week out of a pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

My bike is too quiet to need earplugs :-(

I dont go fast enough to make noise TBH.

• Advertisement
Advertisement