Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social care degree in the states

Options
  • 30-04-2017 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi everyone,

I am currently doing a BA in Applied Social Studies in Social Care. I will have 4 years experience in residential care when i finish my degree.

When im finished i plan to do the graduate visa and was wondering what my is the equivalent of my degree? And what kind of work would be able to do?

I know that it all depends on what state it is but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

It's a similar degree here - see link below for details. I believe you'll need to be licensed in whichever state you want to work (info also in link). My wife works with a lot of people with a BA or MA in Social Work. They work on care plans and dealing with patients and their families at a private psychiatric hospital. I wouldn't say the salary is all that great. From what I know, the doctors at the hospital make around five times what the social workers make.
    http://www.socialworklicensure.org/articles/become-a-social-worker.html#context/api/listings/prefilter

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bluen123

Thanks for that. Thats very helpful. Yeah I thought as much as that. I have been told that you would earn 15000 more a year if you have the masters but will not go for that straight away. Want to get work first over there.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

I asked my wife if unlicensed social workers can get a job at her hospital, and she said yes, but there are things they're not allowed do, such as leading family group sessions or anything resulting in a diagnosis. However, she said they are always short of social workers, and it would be easy enough to get in there. Expect a starting salary in the $30-35k range.
    This is where she works - http://hamptonhospital.com/

Advertisement