Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing a washing machine in a bathroom

Options
  • 30-04-2017 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭

Evening everyone, my wife & I moved into a new house recently and there is a large cupboard within the bathroom which will easily fit a washing machine, laundry baskets and all the soaps/powders and I am hoping to get some info from you all. Here is the bathroom, with the cupboard being at the end of the bath
    416102.jpg

I've been reading two threads in particular in here;
    Socket in bathroom (from 2013)
    2 zone questions (from 2016)

In another thread I didn't save someone posted a link to a picture of the SPLASH zones in a bathroom

416101.jpg

between the threads and the photo I think (and am asking) - because the cupboard is sealed off from the bath by the side of the cupboard is it an even more highly (better) rated splash zone than zone 3 so it'll be safe to put the washing machine in there?

If so it leads to a 2nd question - does it have to be a fixed spur style of connection rather than a plug & socket style? Either wouldn't bother us as it will need new wiring ran in either way and we want to get it right. - the pic mentions fitting a sperate dedicated safety device on the distribution board for showers but should we fit one for the washing machine as there is space on the board for that.
    Post edited by 2011 on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Electricman

The cupboard in your bathroom is in Zone 2. Only IP X4 rated equipment can be installed in Zone 2. Wahing machines are not IP rated. There are no exemptions for equipment installed in cupboards. You will find that no Registered Electrical Contractor (REC) will install power for a washing machine in a bathroom.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

You will find that no Registered Electrical Contractor (REC) will install power for a washing machine in a bathroom.

If the bathroom is large enough that the washing machine can be installed outside zoned areas and it is fed from a spur outlet, what is the issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Electricman

2011 wrote: »
    If the bathroom is large enough that the washing machine can be installed outside zoned areas and it is fed from a spur outlet, what is the issue?

You are correct, but the OP wants to install the machine in a Zone and no REC will do this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Ah well, thank you for your answers, it was a nice thought to have all the washing in one room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

I love posting this photo :D
    417120.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,687 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Best one I saw was an electrically-heated toilet seat.
    A 240V electrically-heated toilet seat, plugged into a socket on the wall right next to the bog pan.
    Before it became a toilet, the room was a simple box / storage room and was converted, but the socket was left in place.
    The homeowner picked up the heated seat on his travels, in S.Africa I think.
    I was gobsmacked.
    He said it was marvellous in the winter :)
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

I know it’s an old thread but I just seen it linked recently. Came across this also

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement