Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beach / Reef north of Doonbeg

Options
  • 30-04-2017 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

Today I was checking spots near Doonbeg as everywhere was firing. The next beach over north of Doonbeg infront of Lough Donnell was going off big time.
    The southerly end was pumping but it was full tide and there seems to be a reef shelf running parallel to the road. Has anyone ever surfed here? Is it breaking over a reef and what is the best way to get in / paddle out?

Would really like to have a crack at this wave so any advice is welcome.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

BZ wrote: »
    Today I was checking spots near Doonbeg as everywhere was firing. The next beach over north of Doonbeg infront of Lough Donnell was going off big time.
    The southerly end was pumping but it was full tide and there seems to be a reef shelf running parallel to the road. Has anyone ever surfed here? Is it breaking over a reef and what is the best way to get in / paddle out?

Would really like to have a crack at this wave so any advice is welcome.

Cheers

I've surfed it a few times. That reef you are talking about runs parallel to the road and extends about 20-25m down the beach. Best tides are filling, (fully in is no good and fully out same) access is straight forward, just head down the beach about 30-40m and paddle out.

It can throw some nice lefts.

Like Douggie, that beach can be pretty rippy and catches swell just like Doug so depending on your experience, use common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

loctite wrote: »
    I've surfed it a few times. That reef you are talking about runs parallel to the road and extends about 20-25m down the beach. Best tides are filling, (fully in is no good and fully out same) access is straight forward, just head down the beach about 30-40m and paddle out.

It can throw some nice lefts.

Like Douggie, that beach can be pretty rippy and catches swell just like Doug so depending on your experience, use common sense.

Cheers for the advice. Looks like a great wave can't wait to try it out on a bodyboard.

Advertisement