Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stone Banking

Options
  • 30-04-2017 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have steep banking at the back of my house, about 50m sq. It's currently got grass and a few shrubs that I've planted. It's becoming a real pain to strim and I'm thinking about putting down stones.
    Id like to use a bigger stone and maybe add more shrubs. Has anyone any idea how much stone I would need, is there a usual formula, ton bag does X amount of sq meters?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How are you going to retain stones on a steep bank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sounds like a bit of heavy work is needed esp if it is steep, it might be better to turn the slope into a number of tiers with baton/s at the bottom of each tier. Then covering the ground with an impermeable surface covering with gravel and then planting hardy perennials in pots.

This sort of thing

cfe17c4b98697cd3f427f02f0f1db8a4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Would be better to use something permeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

The short answer to your question regarding quantities is that you need to measure it and find the area in square metres, then decide how deep you want the covering of stones to be. If for instance you decide on 4 inches, that's 100mm, or 0.1 metres, so multiply your area figure by 0.1 and this will give you the volume required. Generally speaking a square metre of stone equals a ton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Retaining wall with terraces, or else make the slope less severe by increasing the area of sloped ground. Either can be mowed with a lawnmower; so those are your best options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Thanks all for the replies, terraces would be an ideal solution, but the slope is about 60 degrees and only 5ft high (about 65ft long) so there's not much to work with from a depth perspective.

Another option could be to cover the area with shrubs, I do have a dozen or so dotted along it already. Could anyone recommend shrubs that would spread quickly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Senna wrote: »
    Thanks all for the replies, terraces would be an ideal solution, but the slope is about 60 degrees and only 5ft high (about 65ft long) so there's not much to work with from a depth perspective.

Another option could be to cover the area with shrubs, I do have a dozen or so dotted along it already. Could anyone recommend shrubs that would spread quickly?

Flower carpet roses. Pink especially.

Also slate chips might work for keeping the weeds at bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Flower carpet roses. Pink especially.

Also slate chips might work for keeping the weeds at bay.

Thanks will look into that.
    I think the small slate chips wouldn't stay on the slope and not sure the large ones would look very nice?
    Suppose if I had a large coverage of shrubs, they could be an option

Advertisement