Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need guidance for buying vaping kit

• 01-05-2017 2:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi

New here! I've been smoking and i plan to switch to vaping but I know absolutely nothing haha. Anyways, I've been reading a lot the last couple of days and I know most of the things but I still can't decide which kit to buy!

I was looking online and the smok alien looks really nice however many retailers here in Dublin are out of stock (i checked online)

So, my question, is the alien good? (it has many positive reviews online). should I order online from some chinese seller haha or you guys have a better suggestion which I can buy locally? I'd love a lot of smoke (and this goes to 120w :P )

My budget is around 100. And with the new EU directive coming up on 20th, I plan to buy it asap

Cheers!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lankz92

Smoks good. The alien is ment to be very good iv got the mini and its great but hard on battery, shouldnt be an issue on the normal one.

However it being your first device id advise against it. Just my opinion tho. Something like the new aspire zelos kit might suit better as id assume coming off the smokes your going to be looking for something closer to smoking than the alien kit will give you.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 alanman

Thanks a lot for your reply!

Any particular reason why you are advising against it? It has variable settings so wont that be better and future proof? (if it sounds like i'm being rude I apologise but trust me, i am genuinely curious haha)

I just checked the aspire you mentioned and that is 50W. Wont it be the same thing if I get alien and use that at 50w, or even lower?

And thanks for the link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

alanman wrote: »
    Thanks a lot for your reply!

Any particular reason why you are advising against it? It has variable settings so wont that be better and future proof? (if it sounds like i'm being rude I apologise but trust me, i am genuinely curious haha)

I just checked the aspire you mentioned and that is 50W. Wont it be the same thing if I get alien and use that at 50w, or even lower?

And thanks for the link.

I can see that you are in love with an Alien:D:D Shinyitis has affected you early:D:D
    I would go ahead & buy the Alien,otherwise it will be on your mind & maybe drive you crazy,I would recommend that you buy a Nautilus Mini tank & spare coils,excellent tank for people coming off the fags & also get some liquid at 18mg nic strength,you'll need that to keep away the cravings for a smoke.

The Alien is an excellent mod for any tank you fit on it & will be great for Advanced Vaping down the road,the Nautilus will work grand on the Alien at 10w to 14w & later on you can get another tank & vape that at a much higher wattage or use the Temp Control on the Alien.
    The eLiquid,a little tip,you will never find a juice that is similar to your cigs,we have searched for years,just ain't there,it's the Nicotine you need first & then pick your flavours...and Good Luck

I can see that you are in love with an Alien:D:D Shinyitis has affected you early:D:D
    I would go ahead & buy the Alien,otherwise it will be on your mind & maybe drive you crazy,I would recommend that you buy a Nautilus Mini tank & spare coils,excellent tank for people coming off the fags & also get some liquid at 18mg nic strength,you'll need that to keep away the cravings for a smoke.

The Alien is an excellent mod for any tank you fit on it & will be great for Advanced Vaping down the road,the Nautilus will work grand on the Alien at 10w to 14w & later on you can get another tank & vape that at a much higher wattage or use the Temp Control on the Alien.
    The eLiquid,a little tip,you will never find a juice that is similar to your cigs,we have searched for years,just ain't there,it's the Nicotine you need first & then pick your flavours...and Good Luck

Exactly this. The alien will be fine with any tank but the one included in the kit might not suit you hence why i suggested the zelos kit as it comes with a nautilus 2 but you can just get the alien and nautilus 2 seperate as suggested.

Oh and plenty of deals on ejuice at the min so you should grab some cheap while you can :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

OP, have a look on http://www.ecigaspire.co.uk/

There is a 15% off code using "SMOK15" for smok products :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bartszu

Well you don’t need 100 IMHO.
    Joitech Cuboid is very decent box mod, look on YT plenty of reviews.
    Stainless Steel and Glass casing, factory setup up to 150W, update for firmware is on producer web site, taking it up to 200W.
    On Amazon only 30 UK pounds.

Very good box.

Atomizer is different story I would go for RDA right of the bat.
    But if you are newbie you probably would like a Tank or RTA.

Search Amazon UK using following keywords "fgsdfgdg".

"Authentic IJOY MAXO V12 Sub Ohm Tank"
    Nice RTA, very cheap and very nice :

"WOLFTEETH RDA Clone Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer Dual Coil Goon"
    Goon clone, cult RDA, best RDA of 2016 IMHO.

"SeeWonder RDTA Goon RDA Dripper"
    Goon clone with tank added.

If you register with Parcel Motel Amazon ships for free as Parcel Motel don’t care if this is UK on Ireland parcel store.

Well, ****. I'm spoilt for choice here haha

@ bartszu
    I checked the prices and if I buy the box you mentioned and the tank, it costs almost the same as the alien kit (after the 15% discount).
    So I have decided to go with that as for some reason i really like the design of the alien lol and everyone thinks thats a good mod! :)

P.S thanks jonnycivic

Now, as i'll be getting a tank with the alien kit, I was thinking about buying another one as some people suggested it might not suite me.

So, I need to decide between the Nautilus or the Wolfteeth which bartszu mentioned!

And thanks a lot for your help guys :)

btw, can i order a couple of 30ml bottles from UK or is there some restriction?

EDIT: I totally forgot about the link at the top haha
    I'll order the alien kit from there. Its 35 and using parcel motel it'll still be below 50 for the kit ;)

With the liquid it is getting ridiculous here I am trying to DIY but I am lacking experience with it, but I am desperate to learn it, and learn it quick as paying 20-25 Euro per 60 mills is kinda crazy. Other option I consider is to buy juice directly from US in 500 mill batches. Yes in Europe all bottles will be 10 mills, very very good idea ;(

Alien is a good choice, very good if you can get it good price go for it.
    You will end up having 2 atomizers RTA/RDTA for car, running and busy days and RDA for home or situation when you don’t care that it is just a small cup for juice.

Nothing can beat RDA on taste.
    Nothing can beat RDA on vapor production if this is a way you wanna go.

Although some tanks are pretty close: Kylin from Vandy Vape, and Smok Beast series 8 and 12 in particular, but they relatively expensive tanks.

Ahh I forgot to mention, tanks have glass and glass is known for its tendency to shatter ;)
    On the other hand RDA you can throw at someone and kill him, then pick it up and vape on it ;)

• Advertisement

Alanman,
    Just to confirm,you are a complete newbie to vaping,am I right....

If so,RDA's are no good for you yet,you need to get a tank like the Nautilus so it gets you off the smokes,RDA's are for advanced vapors who knows how to build their own coils.That's usually a few months down the line.

Their are 2 ways of vaping...
    1) (MTL) Mouth to Lung (which is like smoking a ciggy)
    2) (DL) Direct Lung vaping where you bypass your mouth & take the vapour directly to your lungs,which is very pleasing after a few weeks or months after you try MTL.
    Both these ways of vaping uses different tanks,different coils & different Nicotine strengths,also different power levels,all these factors can change your vaping from really bad to excellent.
    I'm vaping over 8 years now so I should know,I've done it all,most of us vapors have different ways of vaping,it's a personal thing,your preference of vaping might be different from mine.
    We all started off with MTL vaping like using a Nautilus & the correct Nicotine strength like 18mg,you will have a better chance giving up smoking,many of us stopped smoking straight away,others need a bit more time,so they vape & smoke a little,if the vaping is satisfying your cravings you can then ditch the fags,no need for you to restrict yourself to vaping only,it's the end result that you want,I don't smoke:):)
    What ever tank you decide on,always get spare coils because they only last a couple of weeks,new coils need to be primed with the liquid you will use,this will stop the coils from burning.
    Always ask here if you need help about using how many watts to use on what coil you have,wrong watts will fry certain coils & always check things on Youtube to learn about vaping,many answers there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Well, ****. I'm spoilt for choice here haha

@ bartszu
    I checked the prices and if I buy the box you mentioned and the tank, it costs almost the same as the alien kit (after the 15% discount).
    So I have decided to go with that as for some reason i really like the design of the alien lol and everyone thinks thats a good mod! :)

P.S thanks jonnycivic

Now, as i'll be getting a tank with the alien kit, I was thinking about buying another one as some people suggested it might not suite me.

So, I need to decide between the Nautilus or the Wolfteeth which bartszu mentioned!

And thanks a lot for your help guys :)

btw, can i order a couple of 30ml bottles from UK or is there some restriction?

EDIT: I totally forgot about the link at the top haha
    I'll order the alien kit from there. Its 35 and using parcel motel it'll still be below 50 for the kit ;)

You will need rechargeable battery's for the Alien along with a charger which don't come with the kit. The Baby Beast tank in the Alien kit is epic so try using that before looking into other tanks. I found myself moving up to a mid range setup pretty quickly once I started vaping and easily wasted the best part of €100 of bits and bobs that ended up sitting on a shelf very quickly.

Like youdipstick mentioned, ignore the RDA/RDTA stuff for the moment as it's way to much of a hassle to be starting out on but I do agree with bartszu that the Alien is great mod to have in your colection and will last you a long time when you start rocking a multi mod setup for home and on the go.

Thanks a lot everyone.

@ bartszu
    As a couple of guys said, i'll leave the RDA stuff for later when I'm an advanced vaper haha

So after listening to all of you (thanks a lot guys!) I just ordered the following:

- Alien kit
    - Nautilus 2
    - eliquids with different nicotine levels (12mg,18mg and 24mg)

In total I paid about 90 quids (including shipping etc). I'll need to buy batteries as well so that should be ~15 more

@ youdipstick
    Yes I am a complete novice haha. Never vaped before (except trying a few puffs with my friends)

@venom
    why do I need the charger? Cant i just charge my alien with the batteries inside?

I didnt order batteries as I wasnt sure if they can be shipped so I'm thinking i'll go to a vape shop to buy the batteries and ask one of the lads there to give me a tutorial and set everything up for me haha

Again, THANKS A LOT EVERYONE!!!!

P.S
    Is it just me or is the quote feature broken?

Thanks a lot everyone.

@ bartszu
    As a couple of guys said, i'll leave the RDA stuff for later when I'm an advanced vaper haha

So after listening to all of you (thanks a lot guys!) I just ordered the following:

- Alien kit
    - Nautilus 2
    - eliquids with different nicotine levels (12mg,18mg and 24mg)

In total I paid about 90 quids (including shipping etc). I'll need to buy batteries as well so that should be ~15 more

@ youdipstick
    Yes I am a complete novice haha. Never vaped before (except trying a few puffs with my friends)

@venom
    why do I need the charger? Cant i just charge my alien with the batteries inside?

I didnt order batteries as I wasnt sure if they can be shipped so I'm thinking i'll go to a vape shop to buy the batteries and ask one of the lads there to give me a tutorial and set everything up for me haha

Again, THANKS A LOT EVERYONE!!!!

P.S
    Is it just me or is the quote feature broken?

As you can see,my Quote is working ok,maybe just a glitch...

The Alien has it's own balanced charger built in,perfectly safe to charge the batteries with the Alien...

so its just me then haha

So i just need to buy some batteries and I'll be set :D

Thank you! :)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Guys is this a good deal? http://www.ecigaspire.co.uk/shop.php#!/Aspire-Quest-Mini-kit-3-Colour-choices-18650-Battery-not-included/p/56678644/category=15373095

I'm looking to buy my husband a new vape for his birthday. He's currently using an ego style one with CE5 type atomizers. He does MTL vaping. I'm pretty clueless about anything more sophisticated than the basic ego thing he's currently got.

Yes don’t listen to me I am vaping on giant RDAs, very often using mechanical or hybrid boxes ;)
    So I am sort of not a very representative vaper.

I see in shops plenty of people with some small tiny devices, mouth to lung hitters being perfectly happy and catch myself thinking jesssssus what is this tiny crap :)

One thing is sure, never go back to those nasty, ****ty tasting, full of tar, smelly analogues.

Yes deal is not bad, box with control and rebuildable atomizer.
    Huge step from CE5 which is Chinese mass produced piece of plastic.
    IMHO buy it for your husband ;)
    Toots wrote: »
    Guys is this a good deal?
    I'm looking to buy my husband a new vape for his birthday. He's currently using an ego style one with CE5 type atomizers. He does MTL vaping. I'm pretty clueless about anything more sophisticated than the basic ego thing he's currently got.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

bartszu wrote: »
    Yes deal is not bad, box with control and rebuildable atomizer.
    Huge step from CE5 which is Chinese mass produced piece of plastic.
    IMHO buy it for your husband ;)

Cool, apart from the battery is there anything else I should be getting him? How long does the atomizer typically last? Is it changed at the same time as the coil?

Tank is Stainless Steel so it will last.
    It has interchangeable coil heads, you just screw them in.
    Cool, apart from the battery is there anything else I should be getting him? How long does the atomizer typically last? Is it changed at the same time as the coil?

• Advertisement

bartszu wrote: »
    Yes don’t listen to me I am vaping on giant RDAs, very often using mechanical or hybrid boxes ;)
    So I am sort of not a very representative vaper.

I see in shops plenty of people with some small tiny devices, mouth to lung hitters being perfectly happy and catch myself thinking jesssssus what is this tiny crap :)

One thing is sure, never go back to those nasty, ****ty tasting, full of tar, smelly analogues.

haha who knows, maybe one day i'll be smoking with huge RDA/RDTAs like you ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Toots, did yuo order yet? If not there are codes for that website about the place.

I actually ended up going with the Nautilus Zelo kit because I was nervous about getting the rebuildable bits. I watched a pile of reviews on YouTube and one of the channels had a code for 15% off so I used that. Hopefully he likes it!

UPDATE:

Got all things today (thanks again everyone)

Whenever I try vaping, I feel something in my throat. idk how to describe it, it doesnt hurt or anything it just feels like i need to cough or there's something sharp in my throat haha. Sorry if that doesn't make sense... idk how to explain it lol

I tried it with both the nautilus (18w) and the baby beast (40w) but i get the same feeling from both, although nautillus is a bit better. So what could it be? Is it the flavour or something else? Or maybe i'm not used to vaping, idk

btw, i tried 24mg and 18mg flavours as I assumed they should be enough (i smoke 1.5-2 packs a day)

UPDATE:

Got all things today (thanks again everyone)

Whenever I try vaping, I feel something in my throat. idk how to describe it, it doesnt hurt or anything it just feels like i need to cough or there's something sharp in my throat haha. Sorry if that doesn't make sense... idk how to explain it lol

I tried it with both the nautilus (18w) and the baby beast (40w) but i get the same feeling from both, although nautillus is a bit better. So what could it be? Is it the flavour or something else? Or maybe i'm not used to vaping, idk

btw, i tried 24mg and 18mg flavours as I assumed they should be enough (i smoke 1.5-2 packs a day)

Your lungs & throat are just getting use to the clean vapour & wondering...where the fukc are my toxins:D:D:D:D

18mg or 24mg should do the trick nicely,the baby beast should only be 6mg because it is a direct lung tank & the ohms of the coil has a very low resistance & vaped at high wattages.
    The Nautilus should be good from 12w to 20w with 18mg or 24mg...

Your lungs & throat are just getting use to the clean vapour & wondering...where the fukc are my toxins:D:D:D:D

18mg or 24mg should do the trick nicely,the baby beast should only be 6mg because it is a direct lung tank & the ohms of the coil has a very low resistance & vaped at high wattages.
    The Nautilus should be good from 12w to 20w with 18mg or 24mg...

thanks!

The nautilus says it should be used from 18-23w on the coil. Should I use 12w or that will mess up?
    btw, I went to a vape store and they guy gave me 6mg nico. He said that's more than enough so now I'm confused :/

thanks!

The nautilus says it should be used from 18-23w on the coil. Should I use 12w or that will mess up?
    btw, I went to a vape store and they guy gave me 6mg nico. He said that's more than enough so now I'm confused :/

That 12w to 20w I mentioned was only approx because I haven't tried the new coils yet that can go to 23w,my approx covers all Nautilus coils I have used,it's really down to your sweet spot,sometimes the coils needs lower watts & sometimes higher watts,it depends sometimes on what eliquid you use,try at different wattage levels & you will find your sweet spot,those wattages on the coil is only a guidance,I always go by mine,if the vape is wonderful at a certain wattage,I just settle for that.

The 6mg I mentioned was for the baby beast because they have a low resistance coil & normally vaped between 40w & 80w...

That 12w to 20w I mentioned was only approx because I haven't tried the new coils yet that can go to 23w,my approx covers all Nautilus coils I have used,it's really down to your sweet spot,sometimes the coils needs lower watts & sometimes higher watts,it depends sometimes on what eliquid you use,try at different wattage levels & you will find your sweet spot,those wattages on the coil is only a guidance,I always go by mine,if the vape is wonderful at a certain wattage,I just settle for that.

The 6mg I mentioned was for the baby beast because they have a low resistance coil & normally vaped between 40w & 80w...

Sorry my previous question wasn't clear enough. The nautilus coil I have supports 18-23w (its written on the coil). So, can I use the coil (nautilus and baby beast) with a lower wattage than recommended? Going over the recommended wattage would be bad, but is lower ok?

Sorry my previous question wasn't clear enough. The nautilus coil I have supports 18-23w (its written on the coil). So, can I use the coil (nautilus and baby beast) with a lower wattage than recommended? Going over the recommended wattage would be bad, but is lower ok?

Yeah,you can go as low as you like on any coil,going too low will not fire the coil,if you start low & work your way up gradually,you will find your sweet spot,going to high will fry your coil & burn the cotton that's inside the coil,if that happens,just bin it....

• Advertisement

You can lower a wattage to 1 W if your device will allow it.
    This 1 W will be produced when you heat a button but you simply wont get any vapor.
    You will just pass some small current thru coil and heat it a bit but thats all.
    So if you getting satisfying vapor at 12 W it is ok.

Now other thing, well yes, you are confused.

You have 2 different things.
    Nautilus is typical MTL high ohmage device.
    Its coil is most likely 1,8 - 2,2 Ohm.

TFV8 is decent direct lung heat tank.
    Coils in it are sub-ohm coils, usually from 0,8 - 0,12 Ohms.

Read this thread to get some ideas about that.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057723951

Advertisement