Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need guidance for buying vaping kit

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 alanman

bartszu wrote: »
    You can lower a wattage to 1 W if your device will allow it.
    This 1 W will be produced when you heat a button but you simply wont get any vapor.
    You will just pass some small current thru coil and heat it a bit but thats all.
    So if you getting satisfying vapor at 12 W it is ok.

Now other thing, well yes, you are confused.

You have 2 different things.
    Nautilus is typical MTL high ohmage device.
    Its coil is most likely 1,8 - 2,2 Ohm.

TFV8 is decent direct lung heat tank.
    Coils in it are sub-ohm coils, usually from 0,8 - 0,12 Ohms.

Read this thread to get some ideas about that.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057723951

Thanks but I realised that I actually have bigger problem
    I am actually thinking about going back to cigarettes because of all the problems with this vaping ****

First, I prefer the nautilus (vs baby beast) but I am having serious issues, which I dont know if they are because I am doing something wrong or its just vaping

One thing i have noticed is that whenever I take a drag using the nautilus, I can hear kind of bubbling/gargling sound (like when you are drinking from a straw at the end of the glass). And sometimes, I can literally feel the liquid coming in my mouth directly

I did not pour a lot (around half the tank) and i do not put the liquid in the centre where the coil is. And Yes, I have tried tightening the tank. Infact, it got stuck as well because of the ****ty design on the tank. To refill, we have to open the tank from the top but half the time it gets stuck with it's bottom part (which has the 4 holes for airflow).

And regarding nautilus, is it normal that it overheats? Not the top part (the cap or whatever its called which we put in our mouth) but below that. Sometimes after 15-20 mins it gets so hot that it hurts if that part touches my skin. And I am smoking below or at the minimum rating of the coil (the coil says 18-23w, I use it at 15-20w depending on the flavour)

Second is flavour. Everything is too fruity. I need something which ISNT just so sweet. I know one of the guys on this thread said that there wont be anything which tastes exactly like cig but come on, there has to be something which is a bit decent.

And the vapours are warm. They're not relaxing like cigs but (specially using the baby beast) they are warm that it feels uncomfortable. Infact, using both the tanks, I dont think i've been able to take a drag longer than 5 sec

Then, there is the cost. It turns out, I have to buy flavours, coil etc regularly and the guy said it isnt much cheaper. Compared to a back of cigarettes, yes you save a few but rolling would be a cheaper option.

BUT... I got the vape yesterday and I have only smoked 4 cigarettes since then (3 when I was out and forgot my vape and the 4th one after I was like **** this ****, I'll take a smoke)

Sorry for the rant! haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

alanman wrote: »
    Thanks but I realised that I actually have bigger problem
    I am actually thinking about going back to cigarettes because of all the problems with this vaping ****

First, I prefer the nautilus (vs baby beast) but I am having serious issues, which I dont know if they are because I am doing something wrong or its just vaping

One thing i have noticed is that whenever I take a drag using the nautilus, I can hear kind of bubbling/gargling sound (like when you are drinking from a straw at the end of the glass). And sometimes, I can literally feel the liquid coming in my mouth directly

I did not pour a lot (around half the tank) and i do not put the liquid in the centre where the coil is. And Yes, I have tried tightening the tank. Infact, it got stuck as well because of the ****ty design on the tank. To refill, we have to open the tank from the top but half the time it gets stuck with it's bottom part (which has the 4 holes for airflow).

And regarding nautilus, is it normal that it overheats? Not the top part (the cap or whatever its called which we put in our mouth) but below that. Sometimes after 15-20 mins it gets so hot that it hurts if that part touches my skin. And I am smoking below or at the minimum rating of the coil (the coil says 18-23w, I use it at 15-20w depending on the flavour)

Second is flavour. Everything is too fruity. I need something which ISNT just so sweet. I know one of the guys on this thread said that there wont be anything which tastes exactly like cig but come on, there has to be something which is a bit decent.

And the vapours are warm. They're not relaxing like cigs but (specially using the baby beast) they are warm that it feels uncomfortable. Infact, using both the tanks, I dont think i've been able to take a drag longer than 5 sec

Then, there is the cost. It turns out, I have to buy flavours, coil etc regularly and the guy said it isnt much cheaper. Compared to a back of cigarettes, yes you save a few but rolling would be a cheaper option.

BUT... I got the vape yesterday and I have only smoked 4 cigarettes since then (3 when I was out and forgot my vape and the 4th one after I was like **** this ****, I'll take a smoke)

Sorry for the rant! haha

something wrong somewhere,the nautilus should never get hot or even warm,it's the 0.7ohm coil you are using,I did say that I never tried that coil,I've tried the 1.6 & 1.8,never had it hot or warm since they first came out 4 years ago,I can only presume that you have the settings set right on the mod.
    There are loads of tobacco flavours out there,I said that you will never match the ciggy you usually smoke,maybe I didn't state it properly for you...
    Don't give up yet,you will overcome this problem & laugh later.
    Maybe you have a dodgy tank,get yourself some 1.8ohm coils & try them,I 'm not sure that I can help you unless you live in Waterford,where ever you are,your best bet is to take everything into your local vape shop & ask them to check out what's wrong,most vape shops will advise you...
    Good Luck with solving your problem...let us know what the shop says.

By the way,the cost of vaping is cheap as chips,the big payout is always the vape kit you get at the start,from here on,it should cost you no more than a tenner a week...

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bartszu

Only what is coming to my mind is just subscribe to Mike ;)

http://bit.ly/2r5lNsb

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭nobodys_hero

I dont think i've been able to take a drag longer than 5 sec

I haven't used your tank but since youdipstick is using his with 1.6 and 1.8 coils and it looks like it's very much a mouth to lung tank, the long drags could be your problem, particularly with the heat.

I suspect, that like me when I started, you are taking long drags and chain vaping. I was looking for exactly the same experience as I got smoking. I equated what I was doing with trying to finish a smoke in a hurry. You know, when you end up with a longish solid unburnt core in your smoke because you aren't giving it time to burn fully. Vaping is in my experience so far less forgiving of that for the most part. End of lunch break smoking pace is probably too fast.

When you fire your coil it heats up and vaporises the liquid. It then has to cool down again. Some of that is achieved by airflow as you inhale, but if you keep firing it in succession it just can't keep up with cooling. With your tank the airflow is restricted too. Your .8 ohm coil is made of thicker wire than the 1.8 or 1.6 and is going to be slower cooling. Your tank can probably take limited chain vaping, but then you need to rest it for a few minutes.

If you are not getting satisfaction from using it at a slower pace then you have two options:

1. Up your nicotine level. This will give more of a "kick" to your vape meaning you get more nicotine faster and also more throat hit, as would higher pg levels (50:50 or 65:45 Pg:Vg). This will be closer to smoking a cigarette and more satisfying initially. Don't worry about how much nicotine you're taking, the important thing is that you don't feel the need to pick up a smoke. The nicotine levels you take in will probably drop over time as you get used to vaping and dare I say it: enjoy it.

2. Up your vapour volume. I haven't used the baby beast either, but it's big brother pumps out so much vapour that, when I first used it, two or three hits felt like having had a whole cigarette. 5 mins of vaping had me nic sick.

I would recommend you try upping the nicotine level. Remember you aren't actually smoking. It's not the same. It will take some getting used to.

Regarding the gurgling. That sounds like a flooded coil. If you are vaping below the recommended watts, particularly after filling you are going to be prone to that. Upping the watts a bit for long enough to "burn it off" (not that you're burning anything) helps. I just had some flooding in the tank I'm using now because I didn't do a great job of wicking it. Upped the watts from 100 to 120 for about 5 pulls and its sorted and back down to 100. DON'T put your nautilus up anywhere near that level, but you get the idea.

It is also possible that because of the way you are vaping (assuming chain vaping), you have put a bit too much pressure on the wicking in your coil and it's not behaving optimally.

About the price. I was a rollie smoker. It's still cheaper to vape in the long run. Significantly. Initially it was more expensive for me because I was trying out different tanks, mods, liquids etc and I destroyed more coils than I care to admit because I didn't know what I was doing. What I should have done was make my way to a bricks and mortar and ask them to show me how to use my kit. I was complaining about how much I was spending at home when I started and my OH said "Don't worry about the cost, the important thing is you're not smoking". I'd forgotten that in my cost hangup. Now I make my own juice and have a few tanks and mods I'm happy with. Shinyitis still strikes from time to time, but I've got to spend the money I've saved on something right? I think I broke even at about 5 months in.

Everybody likes different flavours. I like subtle fruits as a bright note against creams or bakery flavours. When my sense of taste came back I discovered I didn't like the taste of tobacco, but many others only use tobacco flavours. Find what's right for you and don't sweat what you spend initially. You can't put a price on the health benefits and it'll all come sweet in the end when you've found what suits you.

I agree with you there nobodys_hero & I also watched the video from Mike Vapes about the tank that bartszu put up...

Mike doesn't mention heat at all in either coil & I watched a few more videos & still nothing about about the tank heating up.
    I know what you mean about chain vaping can really burn our lips but hard to imagine it on a nautilus,maybe your'e right because I have never used a 0.7 coil in a nautilus,as you say,the air flow is the most important thing to do correctly or the coil will not work properly.
    It's annoying that we can't help newbies face to face,we have to rely on vape shops having experienced vapors,second guessing is difficult.

Alanman is using the Alien with the nautilus2,which is ok as long as the setting are correct,maybe the Alien is pumping out too much power,I seem to remember that the Alien needed firmware updated when I got mine & that was the only mod that didn't brick if the software was loaded wrong,which I did & had to re do it,Smok devices need to have the fire button pressed while upgrading & my arthritic hands couldn't hold it:D:D

I find the easiest way of getting rid of gurgling is to hold the tank upside down & blow through the mouth piece,hold a bit of tissue over the air holes to catch the excess juice while blowing...

Hopefully alanman will get it sorted...it's a right bugger being a newbie but we all went through it at some stage & the vaping hardware today is 10 times better than the old days.

• Advertisement

maybe the Alien is pumping out too much power.

Ah, yes. When I use my smaller tank (cubis pro) on my xcube I have to run it on soft or even minimum rather than normal or the ramp up is too fast for it. The alien is pretty much the same as the xcube in a nicer case.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lankz92

Always run my mini alien on soft. Iv never noticed the baby beast getting too hot, however the entire mod does get warm when chaining. Especially if its on charge.

I use my nautilus 2 with an istick 30w. Its my daily carry for work. Can take the abuse lol. If i chain it will get warm too

Neither get warm to the point it burns tho.

And plus 2 on turning the tank upside down and blowing into it to get rid of the excess. Make sure there is tissue around the air hole. Cant imagine ejuice in the eye would be good lol.

lankz92 wrote: »
    I use my nautilus 2 with an istick 30w.

And he is using his restricted airflow high ohmage Nautilus with device pumping 200 W of power ;)

You Alanman I will make two remarks.

1. You are very heavy smoker, 40 cigs a day, you better get into vaping or quit right now. I don't see much options for you unfortunately.

2. Vaping is a hobby mainly, it is a lot connected to DIY. Way do you think all early boxes were called mods ?? I have build my own mechanical mods, one of them is great and is working perfect till now on, using 4x18650. I am plotting my own coils, my own Claptons. I make my own coils even not using an Ohm meter, just calculating them by that, it works great.

http://bit.ly/2qesxoc

So if you wanna vaping, you better do your homework. Go to YT and learn, learn about, Ohm`s Law, learn about power output, about batteries and boxes. PG/VG ratios. To do that you don't even need to read, all is on YT.

So good luck, and don't smoke man ;)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

YouTube is your friend. This guy does a youtube review of the Nautilus 2 and does mention leaking a little bit, but gives a way to stop it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wux7-VzZJKM

Also make sure you're not over-filling your tank. Did you prime your coil before you started vaping?

Toots wrote: »
    YouTube is your friend. This guy does a youtube review of the Nautilus 2 and does mention leaking a little bit, but gives a way to stop it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wux7-VzZJKM

Also make sure you're not over-filling your tank. Did you prime your coil before you started vaping?

I watch all his vids & his Watts Up vid on a Sunday to try & win his give aways:D:D
    He seems to be one of the honest reviewers around...

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I think he's gas! His response to Hyon was fantastic!

Wow wow wow. I can't believe all the support!
    Thanks a lot guys (and gals, if any :P)

Here goes!!

Only what is coming to my mind is just subscribe to Mike ;)

I've subbed but I am really busy with exams these days thats why can't really watch all the videos haha. Hopefully, next week!!

something wrong somewhere,the nautilus should never get hot or even warm,it's the 0.7ohm coil you are using,I did say that I never tried that coil,I've tried the 1.6 & 1.8,never had it hot or warm since they first came out 4 years ago,I can only presume that you have the settings set right on the mod.
    There are loads of tobacco flavours out there,I said that you will never match the ciggy you usually smoke,maybe I didn't state it properly for you...
    Don't give up yet,you will overcome this problem & laugh later.
    Maybe you have a dodgy tank,get yourself some 1.8ohm coils & try them,I 'm not sure that I can help you unless you live in Waterford,where ever you are,your best bet is to take everything into your local vape shop & ask them to check out what's wrong,most vape shops will advise you...
    Good Luck with solving your problem...let us know what the shop says.

By the way,the cost of vaping is cheap as chips,the big payout is always the vape kit you get at the start,from here on,it should cost you no more than a tenner a week...
    Thanks. I have a 1.8 ohm tank which came with the nautilus, I'll try that!

And i'll go to a shop after my exams but things are a bit better since I posted it (big thanks to nobodys_hero!!!

I haven't used your tank but since youdipstick is using his with 1.6 and 1.8 coils and it looks like it's very much a mouth to lung tank, the long drags could be your problem, particularly with the heat.

I suspect, that like me when I started, you are taking long drags and chain vaping. I was looking for exactly the same experience as I got smoking. I equated what I was doing with trying to finish a smoke in a hurry. You know, when you end up with a longish solid unburnt core in your smoke because you aren't giving it time to burn fully. Vaping is in my experience so far less forgiving of that for the most part. End of lunch break smoking pace is probably too fast.

When you fire your coil it heats up and vaporises the liquid. It then has to cool down again. Some of that is achieved by airflow as you inhale, but if you keep firing it in succession it just can't keep up with cooling. With your tank the airflow is restricted too. Your .8 ohm coil is made of thicker wire than the 1.8 or 1.6 and is going to be slower cooling. Your tank can probably take limited chain vaping, but then you need to rest it for a few minutes.

If you are not getting satisfaction from using it at a slower pace then you have two options:

1. Up your nicotine level. This will give more of a "kick" to your vape meaning you get more nicotine faster and also more throat hit, as would higher pg levels (50:50 or 65:45 Pg:Vg). This will be closer to smoking a cigarette and more satisfying initially. Don't worry about how much nicotine you're taking, the important thing is that you don't feel the need to pick up a smoke. The nicotine levels you take in will probably drop over time as you get used to vaping and dare I say it: enjoy it.

2. Up your vapour volume. I haven't used the baby beast either, but it's big brother pumps out so much vapour that, when I first used it, two or three hits felt like having had a whole cigarette. 5 mins of vaping had me nic sick.

I would recommend you try upping the nicotine level. Remember you aren't actually smoking. It's not the same. It will take some getting used to.

Regarding the gurgling. That sounds like a flooded coil. If you are vaping below the recommended watts, particularly after filling you are going to be prone to that. Upping the watts a bit for long enough to "burn it off" (not that you're burning anything) helps. I just had some flooding in the tank I'm using now because I didn't do a great job of wicking it. Upped the watts from 100 to 120 for about 5 pulls and its sorted and back down to 100. DON'T put your nautilus up anywhere near that level, but you get the idea.

It is also possible that because of the way you are vaping (assuming chain vaping), you have put a bit too much pressure on the wicking in your coil and it's not behaving optimally.

About the price. I was a rollie smoker. It's still cheaper to vape in the long run. Significantly. Initially it was more expensive for me because I was trying out different tanks, mods, liquids etc and I destroyed more coils than I care to admit because I didn't know what I was doing. What I should have done was make my way to a bricks and mortar and ask them to show me how to use my kit. I was complaining about how much I was spending at home when I started and my OH said "Don't worry about the cost, the important thing is you're not smoking". I'd forgotten that in my cost hangup. Now I make my own juice and have a few tanks and mods I'm happy with. Shinyitis still strikes from time to time, but I've got to spend the money I've saved on something right? I think I broke even at about 5 months in.

Everybody likes different flavours. I like subtle fruits as a bright note against creams or bakery flavours. When my sense of taste came back I discovered I didn't like the taste of tobacco, but many others only use tobacco flavours. Find what's right for you and don't sweat what you spend initially. You can't put a price on the health benefits and it'll all come sweet in the end when you've found what suits you.
    WOW!!
    Thanks a lot man!

Yes, I was vaping just like a cigarette. I kind of changed that habit and now its much better!!!!! THANKS!!!!

and I also did the same thing which you said. If i notice that gurgling, do what youdipstick suggested and the next message and then I pump up the voltage to highest of the coil (23w for nautilus) and after a min or two, it is fixed! :)

I agree with you there nobodys_hero & I also watched the video from Mike Vapes about the tank that bartszu put up...

Mike doesn't mention heat at all in either coil & I watched a few more videos & still nothing about about the tank heating up.
    I know what you mean about chain vaping can really burn our lips but hard to imagine it on a nautilus,maybe your'e right because I have never used a 0.7 coil in a nautilus,as you say,the air flow is the most important thing to do correctly or the coil will not work properly.
    It's annoying that we can't help newbies face to face,we have to rely on vape shops having experienced vapors,second guessing is difficult.

Alanman is using the Alien with the nautilus2,which is ok as long as the setting are correct,maybe the Alien is pumping out too much power,I seem to remember that the Alien needed firmware updated when I got mine & that was the only mod that didn't brick if the software was loaded wrong,which I did & had to re do it,Smok devices need to have the fire button pressed while upgrading & my arthritic hands couldn't hold it:D:D

I find the easiest way of getting rid of gurgling is to hold the tank upside down & blow through the mouth piece,hold a bit of tissue over the air holes to catch the excess juice while blowing...

Hopefully alanman will get it sorted...it's a right bugger being a newbie but we all went through it at some stage & the vaping hardware today is 10 times better than the old days.

Thanks for the trick to fix the gurgling. Really helped!
    And the settings on my mod are correct i believe. I'm use it with 18-20w with strength at soft. But I believe it also because of the way I was vaping (more like a cigarette). Now i try short drags and give a gap of ~10 secs so it's not really heating THAT MUCH. It heats a bit, but nothing unbearable so i assume 'chain vaping' was what made the tank heat up like the sun lol

And yes, I agree about your last point. I am new to vaping and right now, I'm not really sure if i did something wrong or thats what vaping is like haha. Like when I went to the shop, the guy set everything up and I took the first drag and it felt like someone put a knife in my throat haha. I told the guy this and he was like "oh yeah thats vaping you have to get used to it" but after the help from all you guys, its much better now!

Ah, yes. When I use my smaller tank (cubis pro) on my xcube I have to run it on soft or even minimum rather than normal or the ramp up is too fast for it. The alien is pretty much the same as the xcube in a nicer case.
    Yes I use it at soft 90% of the time. Sometimes, when it feels like i'd like a bit more flavour, i crank it up to normal.
    lankz92 wrote: »
    Always run my mini alien on soft. Iv never noticed the baby beast getting too hot, however the entire mod does get warm when chaining. Especially if its on charge.

I use my nautilus 2 with an istick 30w. Its my daily carry for work. Can take the abuse lol. If i chain it will get warm too

Neither get warm to the point it burns tho.

And plus 2 on turning the tank upside down and blowing into it to get rid of the excess. Make sure there is tissue around the air hole. Cant imagine ejuice in the eye would be good lol.
    haha well, i have 'drank' ejuice directly due to it leaking and gurgling so going in the eye wont be too bad lol
    And he is using his restricted airflow high ohmage Nautilus with device pumping 200 W of power ;)

You Alanman I will make two remarks.

1. You are very heavy smoker, 40 cigs a day, you better get into vaping or quit right now. I don't see much options for you unfortunately.

2. Vaping is a hobby mainly, it is a lot connected to DIY. Way do you think all early boxes were called mods ?? I have build my own mechanical mods, one of them is great and is working perfect till now on, using 4x18650. I am plotting my own coils, my own Claptons. I make my own coils even not using an Ohm meter, just calculating them by that, it works great.

http://bit.ly/2qesxoc

So if you wanna vaping, you better do your homework. Go to YT and learn, learn about, Ohm`s Law, learn about power output, about batteries and boxes. PG/VG ratios. To do that you don't even need to read, all is on YT.

So good luck, and don't smoke man ;)

Wow man, I am impressed haha.
    And i'd say my problem was with setting everything up. Now, its a bit better than before thanks to all you guys. I mean, earlier I was kind of forcing my self to vape and I asked myself if I just wasted a hundred quid on this **** haha

Yes, I'll start watching YT after the exams!

Phew!

THANKS A LOT GUYS!!!! You have no idea how close I was to selling the kit lol

I can't say i'm happy with vaping but I know I am getting there haha. Just need to sort out a few more kinks lol

Thanks a lot!
    P.S Only 2 cigs in the last 24 hours ;)

P.S Only 2 cigs in the last 24 hours ;)

That's great. My trick (and it's what worked for me: everybody's different) was to tell myself I was allowed to smoke whenever I wanted but to try to vape instead. I was quickly down to one in the morning and one at night. Then my sense of taste came back and I preferred my vape to my cigarettes. Got half way through my morning smoke one morning and chucked it because it was gross. Been "clean" for 10 months now. Still have tobacco in my car. Don't want it. Like my vape.

I was using 12/16/18mg nic when I quit. Then, I got my second mod and used 6mg in that. I'd keep the other mod with the stronger nic on standby for when I really felt the need for a better hit. Now I only use 3 or 6 mg, with the 6 being the one I go to for that extra kick if I think I need it. I was worried that I was taking in more nicotine than I was smoking initially, and I probably was. But it worked, and now I'm not taking in more.

In short do whatever it takes! Good luck and thanks for the thanks!

One thing you might notice if the vape is tearing the throat out of you is that lowering your nicotine level reduces it. My husband was on 12mg liquid, and I got him the Zelos kit with the Nautilus tank - first hit off it he nearly choked and he was finding the vape quite harsh. He thought it was the tank, but then today he bought an 8mg liquid and he says it's much better. He also had a bit of a problem with flooding/gurgling in the Nautilus and the juice he bought today was 80/20 VG/PG, so it was thicker than the liquid he was using before (30/70 VG/PG) and he's noticed a dramatic reduction in gurgling since.

YouTube will definitely be your friend. I watched a tonne of stuff before buying my husband the Zelos because I wanted to be sure I'd done my research. The only thing to beware of is that, aside from learning loads, you'll suddenly start wanting to get all the stuff! It's lucky I'm broke cos otherwise I'd probably have ordered a tonne of stuff that I've no idea how to use :o

............. a propos ..........

Every atomizer will heat up, if you will sit on it and chain-vape.
    But well designed boxes should be prepared to deal with this excess heat.

If not there are some work arounds.

http://amzn.to/2qf9pZ5

Alien is for sure prepared to deal with this excess heat.

That's great. My trick (and it's what worked for me: everybody's different) was to tell myself I was allowed to smoke whenever I wanted but to try to vape instead. I was quickly down to one in the morning and one at night. Then my sense of taste came back and I preferred my vape to my cigarettes. Got half way through my morning smoke one morning and chucked it because it was gross. Been "clean" for 10 months now. Still have tobacco in my car. Don't want it. Like my vape.

I was using 12/16/18mg nic when I quit. Then, I got my second mod and used 6mg in that. I'd keep the other mod with the stronger nic on standby for when I really felt the need for a better hit. Now I only use 3 or 6 mg, with the 6 being the one I go to for that extra kick if I think I need it. I was worried that I was taking in more nicotine than I was smoking initially, and I probably was. But it worked, and now I'm not taking in more.

In short do whatever it takes! Good luck and thanks for the thanks!

Thanks a lot!
    That actually works. I do the same thing, whenever I feel like smoking, I just try my vape now :)

One thing you might notice if the vape is tearing the throat out of you is that lowering your nicotine level reduces it. My husband was on 12mg liquid, and I got him the Zelos kit with the Nautilus tank - first hit off it he nearly choked and he was finding the vape quite harsh. He thought it was the tank, but then today he bought an 8mg liquid and he says it's much better. He also had a bit of a problem with flooding/gurgling in the Nautilus and the juice he bought today was 80/20 VG/PG, so it was thicker than the liquid he was using before (30/70 VG/PG) and he's noticed a dramatic reduction in gurgling since.

YouTube will definitely be your friend. I watched a tonne of stuff before buying my husband the Zelos because I wanted to be sure I'd done my research. The only thing to beware of is that, aside from learning loads, you'll suddenly start wanting to get all the stuff! It's lucky I'm broke cos otherwise I'd probably have ordered a tonne of stuff that I've no idea how to use :o

OMG thanks. I had two different kind of liquids. One was 70/30 and the other one was a bit less viscous (and more 'liquidy'? lol). I assume thats 50/50 and using this, I dont get a lot of gurgling.

Btw, one more question. I bought the 1.8ohm nautilus coils as someone suggested.

When I tried a flavour in the shop, it tasted really nice and strong. So i bought it, came home, changed the coils and everything, but now I hardly get any flavour. idk if I messed up the coil or what but I'm not getting a strong flavour. I tried from 8w to 14w (the maximum of the coil) and also set the strength to hard on my kit but I just can't get a good flavour. Any suggestions?

And which shop should I go to in dublin? The shop I went to isn't good. I mean, the staff just treated my like a customer who wants to buy something instead of actually helping me set everything up. Which shop do you think has really knowledgable and helpful staff?

Do you know what the setup you tried in the shop was?

Do you know what the setup you tried in the shop was?

Sorry, no.

It was just one of those simple pen type vape kit. The guy just dropped a few drops on the cotton and that's it.

Either my tastebuds have been fried or this coil sucks lol. I 'feel' like even my old flavours arent strong enough now haha

• Registered Users Posts: 21,699 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Sorry, no.

It was just one of those simple pen type vape kit. The guy just dropped a few drops on the cotton and that's it.

Either my tastebuds have been fried or this coil sucks lol. I 'feel' like even my old flavours arent strong enough now haha

If he dripped it right onto the cotton and not a juice filled tank it was probably an RDA, which is used for flavour and clouds with higher wattage mods.

I'd say your coils are completely different

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    If he dripped it right onto the cotton and not a juice filled tank it was probably an RDA, which is used for flavour and clouds with higher wattage mods.

I'd say your coils are completely different

hmm okay. But honestly, i dont really taste my old flavours as well with this coil (even at hard strength).

Does going from 18w to 14w really make that much of a difference? I can't believe I'm about to say this, but now it tastes like more like a cigarette and I kind of miss the vape flavours haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,699 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

hmm okay. But honestly, i dont really taste my old flavours as well with this coil (even at hard strength).

Does going from 18w to 14w really make that much of a difference? I can't believe I'm about to say this, but now it tastes like more like a cigarette and I kind of miss the vape flavours haha

How long have you been using the same coil? Your cotton could be burnt out and need to be replaced. I usually change mine once a week personally, the length of use always depends on the kind of juices you're using and how often you're vaping. Maybe swap out the coil for a fresh one if it hasn't been changed in a while and see if that does the trick.

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    How long have you been using the same coil? Your cotton could be burnt out and need to be replaced. I usually change mine once a week personally, the length of use always depends on the kind of juices you're using and how often you're vaping. Maybe swap out the coil for a fresh one if it hasn't been changed in a while and see if that does the trick.

Sorry if I wasnt clear enough.

I used the previous coil for about a week but yesterday, it tasted a bit 'burnt' so I assumed it was time to change the coil (the old coil was the one which nautilus comes with 18-21w). I went to the shop today and bought some replacements 10-14w coils for nautilus (based on the suggestions given to me here).

but now, after changing the coil TODAY, I dont get that burnt taste, but I also dont get any flavour. Even my old flavours which I enjoyed, I cant taste ****. It just feels like i'm blowing smoke with no taste but previously, I got a really good taste (specially when I exhaled).

I was getting used to vaping instead of smokes... But it feels like now back to square one FML :(

EDIT: oh and btw, I used to vape at soft or normal strength and it was enough. Now, I even tried it at hard with the max supported watts and i dont taste anything

Possibly a stupid question, but is your mod in need of a charge? I've noticed that the flavour drops off a lot if the battery is low.

Dripping a few drops means it was a "dripper" aka rda like Tyrrell said. Best flavour possible.

There are only two things you can do on any given shop bought coil coil to boost flavour.

1. Increase your watts a bit, but you said you already took it to the max (which generally drops your coil life a bit too by the way).

2. Decrease your airflow. This relatively increases the amount of vapour. You're taking in less air but the same vapour roughly. However, less air means less cooling of the coil too, so beware of burning it up. Try closing the airflow by 1/4 or 1/2 and see if you notice a difference.

You're never going to match the flavour of dripping, but decreasing the airflow should help a little.

It shouldn't be tasting more like a cigarette (unless it's a tobacco flavour of course). That sounds like you may have burnt the cotton slightly. Don't use the hard setting on your Alien. Use Soft on your setup. Hard will ramp up to max nearly instantly on yours and the coils won't handle it, particularly since you're prone to longer drags.

It is also possible that you have "vapers tongue" where you can't taste juice properly. This is caused by dehydration primarily. You just can't taste flavours. I got it a lot when I started. Keeping a water bottle with me everywhere and using it liberally sorted it out after a while. It was really confusing though. I didn't know what was vapers tongue, burnt coils or poor flavoured juice. Vaping really dries out the mouth. I still am prone to vapers tongue when I forget to bring water with me. Changing flavour type also helps it. If I've been vaping something creamy (which I usually am) then I try something a bit zingy or fruity for a while. Then when I go back to the creamy I can taste it again.

Possibly a stupid question, but is your mod in need of a charge? I've noticed that the flavour drops off a lot if the battery is low.

yes, its charged (more than 50% battery atm)
    Dripping a few drops means it was a "dripper" aka rda like Tyrrell said. Best flavour possible.

There are only two things you can do on any given shop bought coil coil to boost flavour.

1. Increase your watts a bit, but you said you already took it to the max (which generally drops your coil life a bit too by the way).

2. Decrease your airflow. This relatively increases the amount of vapour. You're taking in less air but the same vapour roughly. However, less air means less cooling of the coil too, so beware of burning it up. Try closing the airflow by 1/4 or 1/2 and see if you notice a difference.

You're never going to match the flavour of dripping, but decreasing the airflow should help a little.

It shouldn't be tasting more like a cigarette (unless it's a tobacco flavour of course). That sounds like you may have burnt the cotton slightly. Don't use the hard setting on your Alien. Use Soft on your setup. Hard will ramp up to max nearly instantly on yours and the coils won't handle it, particularly since you're prone to longer drags.

It is also possible that you have "vapers tongue" where you can't taste juice properly. This is caused by dehydration primarily. You just can't taste flavours. I got it a lot when I started. Keeping a water bottle with me everywhere and using it liberally sorted it out after a while. It was really confusing though. I didn't know what was vapers tongue, burnt coils or poor flavoured juice. Vaping really dries out the mouth. I still am prone to vapers tongue when I forget to bring water with me. Changing flavour type also helps it. If I've been vaping something creamy (which I usually am) then I try something a bit zingy or fruity for a while. Then when I go back to the creamy I can taste it again.

hmm. Idk if its possible to burn a coil in one day but i'll try that :p I'll replace the coil again and see if that makes a difference!

and can't be vapers tongue. I've had 3-4 pints plus i'd say 500ml water in the last 4-5 hours lol

thanks!!

yes, its charged (more than 50% battery atm)

hmm. Idk if its possible to burn a coil in one day but i'll try that :p I'll replace the coil again and see if that makes a difference!

and can't be vapers tongue. I've had 3-4 pints plus i'd say 500ml water in the last 4-5 hours lol

thanks!!

The 1.6 & the 1.8 coil always give great flavours,they have been the best MTL coils on the market for years.
    Where did you buy those coils & did you buy the correct ones,is this the 1.8 Nautilus BVC coil you bought http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/clearomizers/469-aspire-nautilus-bvc-replacement-coil-head.html
    & did you prime the new coil before you screwed it on to the Nautilus base.If you didn't & powered it up,the coil will burn slightly & there would be no taste of flavour.
    I've been reading back on the posts & it seems you have had problems with the Alien & Nautilus from the beginning with the tank heating up,I've never heard of a Nautilus heating up,even when chain vaping.
    That asshole of a shop you went to should not be trading,you need someone who is helpful & knows their stuff so they can check out both devices & make sure they are working properly.
    What is your location,one of us could be living near you & help you out or recommend a decent vape shop near you.

Also possibly another daft question but did you prime the coil before you started using it? If it's not primes properly you'll burn it and if it's burnt you'll only get rid of the taste by changing coil.

Also +1 on vapers tongue. I've never had it badly, but even when I was vaping occasionally on a really basic ecig yoke I noticed my mouth would get dry.

The 1.6 & the 1.8 coil always give great flavours,they have been the best MTL coils on the market for years.
    Where did you buy those coils & did you buy the correct ones,is this the 1.8 Nautilus BVC coil you bought http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/clearomizers/469-aspire-nautilus-bvc-replacement-coil-head.html
    & did you prime the new coil before you screwed it on to the Nautilus base.If you didn't & powered it up,the coil will burn slightly & there would be no taste of flavour.
    I've been reading back on the posts & it seems you have had problems with the Alien & Nautilus from the beginning with the tank heating up,I've never heard of a Nautilus heating up,even when chain vaping.
    That asshole of a shop you went to should not be trading,you need someone who is helpful & knows their stuff so they can check out both devices & make sure they are working properly.
    What is your location,one of us could be living near you & help you out or recommend a decent vape shop near you.

Yes, its the one you linked. 1.8 ohm with recommended rating 10-14w. I dont want to say from where I bought it from because the staff wasnt much help. Maybe I was just unlucky or the guy was having a bad day, whatever. I dont want to say anything bad about someone's business!

I asked the same question earlier about a good vape shop haha. I'm near sandymount in dublin and any shop in the city centre would be ideal for me!

See below about priming!
    Also possibly another daft question but did you prime the coil before you started using it? If it's not primes properly you'll burn it and if it's burnt you'll only get rid of the taste by changing coil.

Also +1 on vapers tongue. I've never had it badly, but even when I was vaping occasionally on a really basic ecig yoke I noticed my mouth would get dry.

Yes I am priming it. (following a youtube video) I put a few drops in the coil, then just a little bit in the holes on the sides of the coil. Then just to be sure, I fill the tank and let it sit for 5 minutes

EDIT:
    Thanks a lot guys. I just realised i've been bothering you people for far too long haha.

Sounds like you've got the cotton soaked properly then. One thing I do before putting drops in the holes on the sides is put the few drops in the coil, then wait until you can see the liquid soak into the cotton in the holes, then put a drop or two on the holes and fill the tank. It means you know the liquid has definitely wicked down through the cotton and there aren't any dry patches where you can't see.

Hmmm. I've only ever been in 2 bricks and mortar vape shops, and both were just buying liquid, so in terms of 'customer service' the extent of my interactions were going in, asking had they xyz liquid in stock, paying for it and leaving. :(

• Advertisement

I hear from others that Esmokeireland are in Dunlery (sorry,couldn't spell it) & a couple on Talbot St thats supposed to be good at knowing things...

Advertisement