Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To go for fishing

Options
  • 01-05-2017 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

I am in finglas, Dublin. I would like to go for some fishing in inland waters, not to sea. Would it be possible to go somewhere around Dublin and catch some fish such as salmon or trout or carp so that I can use it for cooking. What are the formalities and expenses.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod note: Moved from Food forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

You will need to be a member of a club on whose waters you fish and abide by the.legal/club regulations in catching fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Also ,eating carp will be frowned upon.
    You can eat trout and salm0n, as long as they are within the size limits

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Also ,eating carp will be frowned upon.
    You can eat trout and salm0n, as long as they are within the size limits

Hi, just stumbled across this forum by accident and have a question about this.
    Why is it frowned upon? In Germany and much of mainland Europe carp is widely eaten, maybe not as much as trout, but it is a fish available for sale and in restaurants. Since it is a bottom feeder that lives in murky waters, it has to be kept in fresh water for a few days or it will taste of pure swamp, but if it is watered correctly, it's very tasty.
    Is it a cultural thing? Or is it because carp is not being raised for this purpose and the numbers are too low?
    I can imagine that it is frowned upon because many Europeans view fish as food as opposed to sport and catch it to eat, instead of throwing it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Mr Bumble

There are very few carp in Irish waters and they are mostly not wild...ie...someone had to pay to stock them so they must be regarded as fish for sport and not for the table.
    Nobody should be encouraging anyone to take wild salmon for the table. There's very few left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I am in finglas, Dublin. I would like to go for some fishing in inland waters, not to sea. Would it be possible to go somewhere around Dublin and catch some fish such as salmon or trout or carp so that I can use it for cooking. What are the formalities and expenses.

In Ireland many if not most anglers fish for sport, not food - there are size and bag limits, taking salmon illegally in Ireland will result in serious fines and possible prison time, and if an Irish angler sees you killing our fish he will report you! There are seasons, licences, rules and regulations. I suggest strongly you take the time to learn them or preferably, take up Golf!

Advertisement