Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charity coffee morning... Need for public liability insurance?

• 01-05-2017 11:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Hi,
    Over the past 40 or so years my mother has hosted many, many coffee mornings for various charities. And she's about to host another shortly.

My brother has posed a query, do we need public liability insurance? We can ask our broker tomorrow, but I thought I'd throw it out here as well.

The attendees will all be friends, or friends of friends, it's not open to the public or advertised in any way.

My neither is concerned as some are now quite elderly, and they normally would walk around the garden which would have some trip hazards.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,458 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Many household insurance policies have PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Victor wrote: »
    Many household insurance policies have PL.

That's what I thought, but the brother thought it might need to be beefed up.

I think what's in place should be sufficient.

C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,478 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If it's a non-commercial event then I wouldn't see any issue. Activities like a book club, needlework group, residents' association committee meeting - all are fine for public liability cover in the home as they would come under the heading of a social gathering.

For example, under 'liability to others', the AIG home policy excludes the following....

Any profession, trade or business other than the provision of a child minding facility at the Buildings for not more than 2 children

Similarly, the Axa exclusion under that heading is as follows...

We will not cover liability arising from:

• you carrying out any trade, business, profession or employment

Advertisement