Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good mechanic around Dublin

Options
  • 01-05-2017 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

I've been having a bit of trouble with the rear meche lately. I left the bike with a fairly well known reputable bike shop but to be honest when I got it back it was probably worse!

Can anyone recommend a good mechanic that has the magic touch when it comes to gears???

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

first question would be which side of dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

first question would be which side of dublin?

Sorry Northside but I could travel within reason

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Frank in Richies or Derek in Humphries about the best imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Derek in Humprhies is now my go to person unless I'm in a bind in city centre

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just to mention, in case the OP doesn't know - humphries is in finglas, richies is in swords.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Thanks folks. I live beside Humphries pretty much, they would have been the original place I tried. I'll give Richies in swords a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭cjonesy1

Where would people recommend near Dun Laoighaire/Blackrock?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭redved

I've used Mikes Bikes a few times in DL, no complaints, seem reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Frank or Billy in Richie's know their sh!t.
    You can't go wrong with either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

cjonesy1 wrote: »
    Where would people recommend near Dun Laoighaire/Blackrock?

Bike Rack on Johnstown Road.

• Advertisement

thehamo wrote: »
    Thanks folks. I live beside Humphries pretty much, they would have been the original place I tried. I'll give Richies in swords a shot
    there's also mcquaid cycles just off ballygall road; can't say i've much experience with them in terms of maintenance so can neither recommend them nor warn you away.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 purplemonkey79

I've been to Humpries 4 times and came away with problems with my bike every time
    On one occasion I went in to get a punchture fixed because I hadn't the gear to do it myself and when
    I went back to collect it I was given a list of problems my bike had ,my bike was less than a week old !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Thud

I've been to Humpries 4 times and came away with problems with my bike every time
    On one occasion I went in to get a punchture fixed because I hadn't the gear to do it myself and when
    I went back to collect it I was given a list of problems my bike had ,my bike was less than a week old !!!

Often the most common time to get issues with a bike as cables stretch and issues with assembly pop up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

What were the problems?
    Would you prefer they just fixed the puncture and didn't tell you about the other problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

redved wrote: »
    I've used Mikes Bikes a few times in DL, no complaints, seem reliable

+1 for Mikes Bikes. Ask for Cillian. They have looked after all our bikes for years with no issues.

Thud wrote: »
    Often the most common time to get issues with a bike as cables stretch and issues with assembly pop up.

I understand issues can pop up but not with this place ,I was handed back my bike on another occasion with back brake not working and a flat tyre and he insisted I gave him the bike that way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

I understand issues can pop up but not with this place ,I was handed back my bike on another occasion with back brake not working and a flat tyre and he insisted I gave him the bike that way

Wow so many stories from one bike shop.
    You should I get in touch with Joe Duffy, it's scandalous...

sparrowcar wrote: »

Maybe I should have a word with your mother for having you :rolleyes:

I've been to Humphries shop twice. On both occasions I left with a new bike! I won't be going back there..can't afford it! :):)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Maybe I should have a word with your mother for having you :rolleyes:

MOD VOICE: Cut it out, both of you.

• Advertisement

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I've been to Humphries shop twice. On both occasions I left with a new bike! I won't be going back there..can't afford it! :):)

what's your point ? I went to the shop and had problems with them

I've been to Humphries shop twice. On both occasions I left with a new bike!
    they sold you the same bike twice?

what's your point ? I went to the shop and had problems with them

It was a joke! lighten up.. now what were these "Problems with a week old bike" you had?

they sold you the same bike twice?

:D Nah, Derek's a good salesman, he's supplied Two of my three bikes.

It was a joke! lighten up.. now what were these "Problems with a week old bike" you had?

That's my point ,there was nothing wrong with the bike and he tried to give me a list of problems that weren't there

That's my point ,there was nothing wrong with the bike and he tried to give me a list of problems that weren't there

What problems?

Look you may have a valid issue, but the fact that you refuse to spell out exactly what these issues are says more about you than it does about the shop.

What were the problems?
    Did they quote you a price for fixing these problems?

What problems?

Look you may have a valid issue, but the fact that you refuse to spell out exactly what these issues are says more about you than it does about the shop.

What were the problems?
    Did they quote you a price for fixing these problems?

Tell me how it says more about me than the shop ?

Tell me how it says more about me than the shop ?

last time...what are these problems????

if the bike was a week old, whatever the problems were should have been covered by warranty, so no cost to you?
    or did you bring in a bike from a different shop?

• Advertisement

if the bike was a week old, whatever the problems were should have been covered by warranty, so no cost to you?
    or did you bring in a bike from a different shop?[/QUOTE

The bike was in perfect working order ,there was absolutely nothing wrong with it apart from the punchture, I was told I needed the gears done and new brake cables and I was told the axel was off on the peddles and that the back wheel had a buckle ,it needed or had none of these wrong with it

Advertisement