Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good mechanic around Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

my bike was less than a week old !!!
    The bike was in perfect working order ,there was absolutely nothing wrong with it apart from the punchture, I was told I needed the gears done and new brake cables and I was told the axel was off on the peddles and that the back wheel had a buckle ,it needed or had none of these wrong with it

Why not bring it back to the LBS you got it from then? Well within warranty. If ti really has none of these issues, cycle it off and no harm done.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 purplemonkey79

CramCycle wrote: »
    Why not bring it back to the LBS you got it from then? Well within warranty. If ti really has none of these issues, cycle it off and no harm done.[/QUO

No harm done?

I'm sorry but I have a problem with a shop that try's to give you a list of problems for a bike that aren't there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Why not bring it back to the LBS you got it from then? Well within warranty. If ti really has none of these issues, cycle it off and no harm done.[/QUO

No harm done?

I'm sorry but I have a problem with a shop that try's to give you a list of problems for a bike that aren't there

WHAT PROBLEMS??? C'mon pleeese :)

07Lapierre wrote: »

WHAT PROBLEMS??? C'mon pleeese :)

Are you taking the piss :rolleyes:

No harm done?

But you clearly knew better, so to you, it caused no issues. You simply took your bike and walked out. Or are you accusing the shop of damaging your bike maliciously.

Did they show you the problems or just state them? Why did you go back after you felt they damaged your bike the first time? Did you return to the place you originally bought it and say, this shop said this. Can you clarify and say this is not true or will you cover the said issues under warranty?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...I went in to get a punchture fixed because I hadn't the gear to do it myself...
    ...The bike was in perfect working order ,there was absolutely nothing wrong with it...
    If you hadn't the basic equipment to sort out a puncture, I'd seriously doubt that you would know the bike was in perfect working order. It may have seemed fine to you but the shop may have spotted things that aren't right.

I've occasionally left a bike in to have something repaired and didn't spot something else until it was pointed out to me. I use Humphries fairly regularly and have never had a problem with them.

If you hadn't the basic equipment to sort out a puncture, I'd seriously doubt that you would know the bike was in perfect working order. It may have seemed fine to you but the shop may have spotted things that aren't right.

I've occasionally left a bike in to have something repaired and didn't spot something else until it was pointed out to me. I use Humphries fairly regularly and have never had a problem with them.

So because I didn't have my gear with me to fix a punchture ,I wouldn't know if the bike was in perfect working order ,bit of a silly comment that

you may use the place regularly and not have a problem ,that doesn't mean other people who used the shop haven't encountered problems with the place

But you clearly knew better, so to you, it caused no issues. You simply took your bike and walked out. Or are you accusing the shop of damaging your bike maliciously.

Did they show you the problems or just state them? Why did you go back after you felt they damaged your bike the first time? Did you return to the place you originally bought it and say, this shop said this. Can you clarify and say this is not true or will you cover the said issues under warranty?

If I was accusing the shop of damaging the bike I would of said that, I had no need to bring the bike back to where I bought it as I knew there wasn't a problem with it ,so no need for warranties

I left the bike in to get a punchture repaired and was given a made up list when I returned , There was nothing wrong with the bike it was perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

Jeez 3 days of sun and we're a tetchy lot , all hot and bothered :)

secman wrote: »
    Jeez 3 days of sun and we're a tetchy lot , all hot and bothered :)

Lads must on the cider ,getting very defensive about their local shop :eek:

• Advertisement

Funny how the original poster is willing to travel to swords to get his bike fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

..getting very defensive about their local shop :eek:
    It ain't my local bike shop - I go out of my way to use it.
    Funny how the original poster is willing to travel to swords to get his bike fixed
    The only other shop I use is Richie's in Swords.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

funny enough, my single visit to richies won't be repeated.

funny enough, my single visit to richies won't be repeated.

Life is funny like that, I have certain shops I will never return to due to poor service and attitude but people in my club swear by. I have two shops I frequent regularly and think are fantastic but one got slated on here for bad customer service. Everyone does not want the same service.

This said, there are alot of shops that will point out all the faults, what is a bike in perfectly good nick to one, is one just waiting to fail to more experienced eyes. I have found out the hard way myself.

At the OP, the key thing is, did they tell you and recommend the fixes or did they do it and ask for the cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

OP being me?

I left the bike in for a new chain and purposely to get the gears tuned and working. On collection took the bike for a cycle up and down the road and seemed fine. Cycled to work the next day and the gears were jumping like a bunch of kids on a bouncy castle.

TBH ive heard great things about humphries, but its the second time ive gone in to get the gears looked at and they havent been up to scratch. Thats why im looking for another shop.

I'd like to point out, im in no way slating humphries. They have been very helpful in the past with bike recommendations, new parts etc, its just they don't ever seem to be able to fix my gears issues!

Advertisement