Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Investing in startup/fledgling companies

Options
  • 01-05-2017 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if anybody knew of any forum where one can go to invest money for a share in a startup company?

I'm not talking major money, even from - say - €1000.

I've already looked and, and lend, P2P on platforms like LinkedFinance and Mintos, but looking to maybe change tack. A mini dragons den so to speak!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

No, there isn't, I'm afraid. Soliciting investments in corporate securities from the public is a highly regulated business with onerous compliance requirements. It's not worth anybody's while to incur the huge cost of compliance, and then look for (or even accept) investments on the scale of one or two thousand euros a pop.

The only way you're going to get in on the ground floor in a startup is through a private investment, for which (obviously) you have to be a friend or connection of the promoter, or be introduced by someone who is. And, even then, they'll be looking for investments measured in the tens of thousands of euros, at a minimum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Had a feeling that'd be the response I'd get, but no harm asking the question :)

Thanks Peregrinus

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Digital_Guy

Networking at startup events...and HBAN etc? Although I don't know what their requirements are as regards your investing potential. As for events, Dublin has a huge startup scene!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Have you looked at sites like Seedrs? They have interesting startups appear from time-to-time.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Digital_Guy

Was going to suggest Crowdcube, have seen some very interesting startups on there.

Advertisement