Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tips on getting back in shape?

• 01-05-2017 2:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭

Hey all, i gave up sport about 4 years ago, when i started my leaving cert, since then iv'e been in college and its a travel up and down to college so by the time i get home its late and don't get time to try. I'm in a computer course so i spend most my time on a computer at college and home. Its kind of just become habit now but i am realizing the side effects of sitting down hunched over at a computer screen.

Constantly stiff, bones crack every time i stretch, I have gained about 15 - 20kg and im very unfit.

Before i quit sport i was in boxing for 2 years and rugby for 6 years so i was pretty fit and health.

I have started stretching my body out properly and try skipping at a decent pace for a few minutes, but the skipping is killing me after 5 minutes.

So im just looking for other ways to build cardio that aren't as harsh as i am a smoker <(definitely needs to go) i am not on an eCig now though and have been the for around 4- 5 months.

All help is much appreciated!
    Thanks

Luke

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Can you swim, or is a pool even an option?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭LukeyKid

Can you swim, or is a pool even an option?.

Well im not a strong swimmer but i can a bit and yeah there is a pool nearby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

What about cycling - nice and gentle on the body and great for clearing the head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Building any cardio is next to impossible if you're a regular smoker. It's the most counter productive thing you can do.
    Re join your old boxing club if you still enjoy the sport. But quitting smoking should be your no. 1 priority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭LukeyKid

marvin80 wrote: »
    What about cycling - nice and gentle on the body and great for clearing the head.
    Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Building any cardio is next to impossible if you're a regular smoker. It's the most counter productive thing you can do.
    Re join your old boxing club if you still enjoy the sport. But quitting smoking should be your no. 1 priority

Thanks for the comments guys!

Yeah i was thinking about cycling too, but i think i like the idea of going to the swimming pool more well for me id find that fun and it will get me moving so i think that would be the best way to start.

Dtp1979: I couldn't agree more man i used to do 20 minutes of fast paced skipping everyday, now i can barely do 3 minutes. I'm on the way out :) i gave my self a process of just getting used to the vape, then to smoke that and only that, i started on 12mg then down to 6mg after a month and just been using the 6 for a while now but going to try kick it to 3 soon.

At least then the next step is 0 and it will be shortly after that i'm then no longer smoking anything :)

That's the plan, i said i would take the slow route and give myself the best change to get off it all rather then rush it and end up back on them and broke!

• Advertisement
Advertisement