Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony Bravia KD50SD8005 ?660

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

Looks to be worth the money for a Sony

Not sure it's worth much more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

I didn't think Amazon delivered big tvs to Ireland . Has this changed ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Sq0CSb.png
    Barr wrote: »
    I didn't think Amazon delivered big tvs to Ireland . Has this changed ?

Yeah, no issues selecting Ireland as the address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Sq0CSb.png

Yeah, no issues selecting Ireland as the address.

Ye but how are you going to get it to Australia?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

He's away :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

It's for me flamin holiday home in Sligo!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭salomon

Seems like a good bargain on a good brand of TVS?

Any of the tech heads reckon this is worth a shot for the price?

Sony Bravia KD50SD8005 50 inch Curved Android 4K HDR Ultra HD Smart TV with Youview, Freeview HD, PlayStation Now (2016 Model) - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01IF51WL2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_B7ZbzbFPSSRYC

Did you search it on pricespy.co.uk ? Looks cheaper in argos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

A little like the 3D gimmick, I don't think the curved TV bonanza ever really materialised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Yamanoto wrote: »
    A little like the 3D gimmick, I don't think the curved TV bonanza ever really materialised.

Samsung have started scrapping the idea already. They give horrible reflections .

the black levels, brightness and contrast are not good enough on this tv for effective HDR
    HDR will be useless without the above.
    even if a tv is certified HDR 10 compliant it doesn't mean that it will be any good for HDR.

The certification that currently actually means something is "UHD Alliance Premium Certified" tv

The key attributes are brightness and contrast ratios.

Minimum brightness and contrast ratios: There are two possible minimum specs
    . A minimum brightness of 1,000 nits, along with a black level of a maximum of 0.05 nits (20,000:1 contrast ratio),
    - for a LED tv.
    or a minimum brightness of 540 nits, along with a black level of a maximum of 0.0005 (1,080,000:1).
    - for an OLED tv

unfortunately you don't get a cheap tv with these attributes. talking 1500 € probably

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭ccull123

can anyone recommend a good tv so for around the same price?

ccull123 wrote: »
    can anyone recommend a good tv so for around the same price?

what price/budget?

here's a list of ultra hd premium tv's from lowest price up on john lewis. should give you an idea.

https://www.johnlewis.com/browse/electricals/televisions/view-all-tvs/ultra-hd-premium-certified/_/N-6srfZ1z0baw8?Ns=p_price.extravaganzaPriceListId%7C0

once you have a tv in mind go to http://www.rtings.com/ to try to find a review of the particular model (watch out for different model numbers for same tv between us and europe) and different sizes of same tv range can mean totally different results.

also a tv that is good for general use may be bad for gaming (if that's a use or possible use)

the whole world of tv's has unfortunately gotten a lot more complicated in the last few years.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Curved screens are a gimmick.

If you are the one person sitting at the focal distance away , it's good.

Otherwise it's distorted.

Even when it's good people get used to it very quickly so it's looses any WOW factor very soon.

http://gizmodo.com/the-curved-tv-gimmick-might-finally-be-dead-1790743745
    A curved set gives a person an incredible and immersive view when they’re sitting dead center, but the TV-watching experience is far less fabulous for anyone else in the room. That makes them practically worthless for big Superbowl parties or mighty movie marathons, or anything but one dude, in his underwear, watching TV by himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i thought the whole idea of curved tv's is that no matter where you sit you'll get a good picture, no colour saturation etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭cletus

fryup wrote: »
    i thought the whole idea of curved tv's is that no matter where you sit you'll get a good picture, no colour saturation etc

Pretty much the exact opposite. As long as you are sitting in the perfect position, then it's an immersive experience for you, but sitting at an angle to the TV (99% of all viewing with more than one person in the room in my experience) then it's prey poor by all accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭hhmmm?

From what I've learned as a lurker here on BA, you could post about finding a 100 inch ultra HD 8k 3D TV with holographic projection, built in surround sound and years subscription to sky sports all for €500 and you would still get people telling you that it's not a good deal or it's not a good TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

hhmmm? wrote: »
    From what I've learned as a lurker here on BA, you could post about finding a 100 inch ultra HD 8k 3D TV with holographic projection, built in surround sound and years subscription to sky sports all for €500 and you would still get people telling you that it's not a good deal or it's not a good TV.

Link?

there's usually a catch with cheap tv's unfortunately.
    with HDR content that will be coming out increasingly (both for media and games) you need good contrast and high brightness to actually see the difference. Without those features you won't see the difference and you might as well not have the HDR capability in a tv.
    4K won't make as much difference at all as HDR will.

20_Century_Fox_SDR_vs_HDR-1130x371.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

glasso wrote: »
    there's usually a catch with cheap tv's unfortunately.
    with HDR content that will be coming out increasingly (both for media and games) you need good contrast and high brightness to actually see the difference. Without those features you won't see the difference and you might as well not have the HDR capability in a tv.
    4K won't make as much difference at all as HDR will.

20_Century_Fox_SDR_vs_HDR-1130x371.jpg

And remember that you need to buy a 10bit ULTRA HDR PREMIUM certified screen to see the full benefit of HDR, like this model,
    https://pricespy.ie/product.php?p=3606717

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I've found some sports borderline unwatchable on curved screens as the ball distorts in motion and it looks like it's stuttering.

• Advertisement

Ive said it on here before, but I'm not convinced that a lot of the spiel about tvs at the moment seems very similar to the stuff you used to here from audiophiles abot oxegen free, gold plated etc etc

cletus wrote: »
    Ive said it on here before, but I'm not convinced that a lot of the spiel about tvs at the moment seems very similar to the stuff you used to here from audiophiles abot oxegen free, gold plated etc etc

what would a "slack jawed yokel" know about high-end tv's? :)

it's very simple HDR is about bringing out colours so
    1. it needs to be able to show contrasting colours
    2. it needs to be able to make them pop by showing them as dark when they're dark colours or bright when it's a bright colour.
    3. colour range (gamut) is also important but this is more common than 1&2.

It's in no way comparable to gold-plated cable crap. You can clearly see the difference with HDR media.
    You can't tell a sh1t tv if you've never seen a good one.

glasso wrote: »

what would a "slack jawed yokel" know about high-end tv's? :)

it's very simple HDR is about bringing out colours so
    1. it needs to be able to show contrasting colours
    2. it needs to be able to make them pop by showing them as dark when they're dark colours or bright when it's a bright colour.
    3. colour range (gamut) is also important but this is more common than 1&2.

It's in no way comparable to gold-plated cable crap. You can clearly see the difference with HDR media.
    You can't tell a sh1t tv if you've never seen a good one.

Well, that escalated quickly. I don't think I mentioned either you or your post in my own post. As regards whether HDR is better, I have a HDR tv, but have not seen any content yet, so cant comment. Comparative pictures online are of no use to judge.

I stand by the sentiment that a lot of what I hear about tvs is reminiscent of the ridiculous audiophile talk I grew up listening to.

I currently have a Hisense 50" 4k set. I'm not sure whether that falls into your definition of good tv or not, but if experiencing blacker blacks requires me to spend €1200 on a tv, I think I'll pass

come on I was only referencing your username.

the point I'm making is - many just go "oh does it have HDR and 4K" without knowing that you need the other attributes to actually "have" it.
    it's like the obsession with megapixels in digital cameras which meant nothing about being a good camera.

If you're ever in a place selling tv's ask to see HDR content on a Ultra HD Premium certified tv - you'll clearly see.

Advertisement