Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Onenote -> trial version -> find saved notebook before upgrade -> depressed

Options
  • 01-05-2017 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

Friend has OneNote on a MS surface. For some reason unbeknownst to me, this is a trial version which is now expired. Want to get a full version but also ensure that the previous workbooks aren't lost. Dunno why it's a trial - have full version on mine.

Can find backups of some older workbooks saved locally, but can't find, nor back up, the current one (trial being expired doesn't help). I need to uninstall the trial version before installing a new one and just want to not lose this current one.

Completely fed up and with it all at this point after spending ages looking at this and talking to Microsoft who were not helpful.

Any thoughts on even being able to ensure this workbook is safe before uninstalling??

Thanking you!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you have a non trial can you not just upgrade in place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

ED E wrote: »
    If you have a non trial can you not just upgrade in place?

Well, this version is a trial, and the only option from it to upgrade is full office. Just want to ensure no loss of data. Really just want to see this workbook stored somewhere before uninstalling the trial version.

Thanks!

Edit - sorry if I'm unclear. I don't really get the difficulty in this myself! We can uninstall the current trial version and reinstall afresh, but I'd be a lot happier if I could see a backup / saved version of this current notebook first - as it's not my data to lose!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

The notebooks should be saved in c:\Users\<username>\Documents\OneNote Notebooks\
    The files have an extension type of ".one" and ".onetoc2" (table of contents)

This is for the onenote 2016 (part of office 365) which uses these files

There's a cut-down onenote app free which keeps stuff on the microsoft cloud, I don't think it can import these files.

Advertisement