Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking the Plunge

Options
  • 01-05-2017 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

So after reading the threads here I've decided to to purchase a PS4. I'm wondering where is a good place to start.

Is there any sites or magazines that will give me an idea what's out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Not sure what you mean what's out there?

For PS4 there are a few options.

1. Pro version - only if you have a 4K TV or plan to get one soon.
    2. Standard (or slim version) - suggest you get a 1TB version.

In terms of bundles, Argos do some great deals on PS4s.
    And you can also get PS+ membership, only really needed if you intend to game against others online. But it does come with an added bonus of giving you access to "free" games each month, just remember to buy them from the store when available. That way as long as you have an active PS+ account you can download them whenever you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

I've not gamed in a long time so I suppose I'm looking to see what older games are out there to start off with. Is there any necessary extras out there that I should be looking for?

I will definitely go for the 1TB Thank you. I'm not really into online gaming(although haven't much experience of it) Is the membership worth it for the free games?

Is it worth picking up a vita to use when away from the console?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I got a 500GB Slim recently. There was some good deals from Argos and Amazon last month that I just missed, so I ended up getting an open-box from Amazon Warehouse instead for 160 gbp. Worth looking into if you can't find any good deals elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

PS4 isn't backward compatible so old games are just games since launch on PS4.
    Vita - its fun but tbh not amazing, so while I enjoy mine Ive maybe used it 4 times to remote play my PS4, so its not worth it for that.
    The freebies - originally the games were AAA games (PS3 era), but for the PS4 most of them have been indie games, and again not something worth it out of the box, maybe have a look to see what's coming up and decide then.

There are some great single player games out there, other threads here are riddled with them but see if you can pick them up cheap.
    Eg.
    Uncharted Collection (I got this recently online fo 30 euro, 3 full games).
    Uncharted 4
    Doom (great fun).
    Any of the Dark Souls games for the PS4 if you like a challenge and enjoy dying a lot - not kidding I know people who've walked away from consoles for a while after trying these but I love them.
    The Last of Us
    Shadow or Mordor

There are frankly tons but depends what you are into.
    Good choice though, the PS4 and some of the older games out there are amazing.

• Advertisement

Taltos wrote: »
    PS4 isn't backward compatible so old games are just games since launch on PS4.
    Vita - its fun but tbh not amazing, so while I enjoy mine Ive maybe used it 4 times to remote play my PS4, so its not worth it for that.
    The freebies - originally the games were AAA games (PS3 era), but for the PS4 most of them have been indie games, and again not something worth it out of the box, maybe have a look to see what's coming up and decide then.

There are some great single player games out there, other threads here are riddled with them but see if you can pick them up cheap.
    Eg.
    Uncharted Collection (I got this recently online fo 30 euro, 3 full games).
    Uncharted 4
    Doom (great fun).
    Any of the Dark Souls games for the PS4 if you like a challenge and enjoy dying a lot - not kidding I know people who've walked away from consoles for a while after trying these but I love them.
    The Last of Us
    Shadow or Mordor

There are frankly tons but depends what you are into.
    Good choice though, the PS4 and some of the older games out there are amazing.

Thank You It is the games since PS4 release that I meant & the above are a good start. I used to play a lot of Soccer American Football Hockey & Basketball on the Megadrive/PS1. Are they pretty much similar year after year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Antibac wrote: »
    Thank You It is the games since PS4 release that I meant & the above are a good start. I used to play a lot of Soccer American Football Hockey & Basketball on the Megadrive/PS1. Are they pretty much similar year after year?

Going to give a crazy option would a xbox one not be a better otption if you love sports games ?.

As there is a thing called ea access on the xbox one you pay 25 euros a year and you get all the sports games you need Fifa, NBA, NFL, NHL, UFC, Golf and there all the latest versions.

Yes for single player games and 1st party the ps4 is better.

But if you are planing just sports a xbox one would suit you better with ea access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Playstation 4 on sale with Amazon Warehouse Deals with 20% off at the moment. Works out about ?170 if you're interested. Bought one myself from there a couple of weeks ago and it was perfect.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/PC-Video-Games/Sony-PlayStation-4-1TB-Ultimate-Player-Edition/B00ZG1TXV0/ref=sr_1_3?m=A2OAJ7377F756P&s=warehouse-deals&ie=UTF8&qid=1493801823&sr=8-3&keywords=ps4

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Going to give a crazy option would a xbox one not be a better otption if you love sports games ?.

As there is a thing called ea access on the xbox one you pay 25 euros a year and you get all the sports games you need Fifa, NBA, NFL, NHL, UFC, Golf and there all the latest versions.

But if you are planing just sports a xbox one would suit you better with ea access.

I think you are mis understanding EA Access. You still have to buy the games

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

irishman86 wrote: »

No you don't, as long as you are subscribed you have access to the games.

• Advertisement

jonnycivic wrote: »

You dont its like your PSN and games for gold games you only get them while you pay for them.

Might be a good idea for the poster the xbox one route if he just wonts to play sports games.

Are you sure, I think its more a temporary timed rental.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Are you sure, I think its more a temporary timed rental.

100% sure, the timed thing is for demo's of new games i.e: When Fifa 17 launched you got a timed amount of the full game, once it goes into the vault after a few months then as long as you have a sub you can play the game.

100% sure, the timed thing is for demo's of new games i.e: When Fifa 17 launched you got a timed amount of the full game, once it goes into the vault after a few months then as long as you have a sub you can play the game.

Ya youre right, I thought it was something else. Seems 8 months after release the sports games are added, but with the discount from day one.
    That seems well handy, wtf dont we have that on PS4 :mad:

Ya youre right, I thought it was something else. Seems 8 months after release the sports games are added, but with the discount from day one.
    That seems well handy, wtf dont we have that on PS4 :mad:

Probably because the PS4 outsold the Xbox by so much that they didn't need it to entice people.

Probably because the PS4 outsold the Xbox by so much that they didn't need it to entice people.

No EA did offer it to Sony but they refused to leave it on PSN as they did not see a use for it.

This is EA a 3rd party dev they will try and make as much money they can on as many platforms they can

No EA did offer it to Sony but they refused to leave it on PSN as they did not see a use for it.

That's what I was trying to say. Sony had no need to have it on PSN to entice customers. Same reason they don't bother with backwards compatibility.

That's what I was trying to say. Sony had no need to have it on PSN to entice customers. Same reason they don't bother with backwards compatibility.

There is backwards compatibility its called PS Now.

As a owner of both consoles. Haveing the backwards compatibility is a great thing to have on the console and is something i wish the PS4 had.

As a owner of both consoles. Haveing the backwards compatibility is a great thing to have on the console and is something i wish the PS4 had.

Not available in Ireland though. Tbh, I still have the PS3 set up but it's mainly being played by the kids now.

Have to agree with this, I have hundreds of PS1 PS2 & PS3 games lying around that I would play on the PS4 but digging out the old consoles is a pain at the moment.

• Advertisement

Have to agree with this, I have hundreds of PS1 PS2 & PS3 games lying around that I would play on the PS4 but digging out the old consoles is a pain at the moment.

I'll pick up the occasional PS1 on the PS store but I'll only play them on the Vita because they look awful on modern TVs. It's a pity they couldn't port PS2 games to the Vita - it would have been fantastic to play them on it.

Not really. I tend to play them when I don't have much time or just for a change. It wouldn't be a main decider for a console

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I've had both PS4 in my opinion is streets ahead I even struggled to resell my X1

Playstation plus probably isn't worth it for the free games I'd suggest you stock up on PSN credit though as you can pick up some fantastic games via the various PSN sales

I've mine since launch and I use it every day for games , youtube , wwe network and other bits and pieces definitely well paid for itself by now

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Guest2013

Hi,

I need help in deciding should i get the original ps4 or the new slim model?

Are there any issues with either.

Heard rumors that new ps4 slim can over heat, are these true?

Looking for owners of both systems to help me decide.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Ive had my launch console and its worked perfect since day 1 never had a single problem with it

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Guest2013

Are you talking about the ps4 slim?

The one I am looking at is CUH 2016A.

Advertisement