Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much does it cost to sell your home in ireland?

Options
  • 01-05-2017 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

If you own a house in Ireland and it is worth say 200k and you have found a buyer yourself, are there other costs/taxes involved in selling it or do you get to keep the entire 200k?

thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

armabelle wrote: »
    If you own a house in Ireland and it is worth say 200k and you have found a buyer yourself, are there other costs/taxes involved in selling it or do you get to keep the entire 200k?

thanks!

There will be legal expenses for a solicitor to carry out the conveyance. There may also be some incidental legal expenses such as having maps drawn up, registration clarified etc. If it is not a PPR, Capital Gains Tax may be payable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭relax carry on

thanks!

CGT potentially for the seller. Stamp duty for the purchaser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

CGT potentially for the seller. Stamp duty for the purchaser.

why do you say potentially? On what does it depend?

4ensic15 wrote: »
    There will be legal expenses for a solicitor to carry out the conveyance. There may also be some incidental legal expenses such as having maps drawn up, registration clarified etc. If it is not a PPR, Capital Gains Tax may be payable.

What is the conveyance and why is it necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I would assume, similar to over here, if its the primary residence and the proceeds of sale roll over to purchase a new primary residence, CGT doesn't factor in

• Advertisement

theteal wrote: »
    I would assume, similar to over here, if its the primary residence and the proceeds of sale roll over to purchase a new primary residence, CGT doesn't factor in

so if I have a house and sell it to buy another house which is my primary residence then I don't pay this CGT fee right?

What about if I want to buy in another EU country, same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

If you leave the country and take your money with you, what can they do?

It's actually a question that has come up for us with talks of a future move back to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭mickmac76

The house that you're selling must be your primary residence if you want to avoid CGT. It doesn't matter what purpose the house you are buying has or where it's located.

theteal wrote: »
    If you leave the country and take your money with you, what can they do?

It's actually a question that has come up for us with talks of a future move back to Ireland

and it should be your money, you worked and slaved and paid your mortgage so you should be able to do whatever you want with it.

mickmac76 wrote: »
    The house that you're selling must be your primary residence if you want to avoid CGT. It doesn't matter what purpose the house you are buying has or where it's located.

ah ok gotcha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭relax carry on

PPR relief if applicable.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/cgt/reliefs.html

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What is the conveyance and why is it necessary?
    Conveyancing is the term used for sale and purchase of land and buildings. Legally, you must have a solicitor do this, one on each side.

You will be obliged to pay any outstanding LPT, PPR and water charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Victor wrote: »
    Conveyancing is the term used for sale and purchase of land and buildings. Legally, you must have a solicitor do this, one on each side.
    But, of course, as vendor you will only pay for your own solicitor. The purchaser pays for his solicitor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Victor wrote: »
    Legally, you must have a solicitor do this, one on each side.
    What law requires this?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Legally, you can do your own conveyancing. In theory, at any rate. What you can't do is employ/retain anyone who isn't a solicitor to advise you or act for you in regard to conveyancing. Legal practice is a regulated profession, and they commit an offence by providing a service which they are not qualified or licensed to provide. (Solicitors Act 1954 s. 58, if you want chapter and verse.)

In practice, it would be extremely difficult to do your own conveyancing. The purchaser's solicitor would have great difficulty in dealing with someone who didn't know what was expected or usual, and wasn't familiar with conveyancing law and practice. At best you'd be looking at substantial delays, and there's a real risk of sales falling through because the purchaser's solicitor can't get what he wants or needs from you, or because the prospective purchasers lose patience with the delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Legally, you can do your own conveyancing......
    In practice, it would be extremely difficult to do your own conveyancing. The purchaser's solicitor would have great difficulty in dealing with someone who didn't know what was expected or usual.......and there's a real risk of sales falling through because the purchaser's solicitor can't get what he wants or needs from you, or because the prospective purchasers lose patience with the delays.

The cynic in me thinks the difficulty lies with solicitors wishing to keep "their" business within the solicitor ranks and I have to say I laughed at the part about delays.

Anecdote alert - when buying a house a few years ago the only real sticking point in the whole process was with the delays from my solicitor. Very slow. Very frustrating.

On the other hand a good solicitor can be a great help when navigating anything legal such as a house sale. You just need a (reliable) personal recommendation.

Advertisement