Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing a stock and bits from the us

Options
  • 01-05-2017 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

Sorry if this question has been asked a million times before. A family member will be in the us soon and I was going to get them to bring back a rifle stock and possibly a scope. Is this a no no. Any input appreciated cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Don't think there would be an issue with scopes. I have done a bit of research as I'm going to the states shortly and hope to bring back a red dot sight for my pistol. I'm open to correction on this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Scopes and stocks come under the (ITAR) The International Traffic in Arms Regulations. Some are ok but the vast majority are not and need to be exported by someone with the proper licence.
    Now many here will scoff at this and say their uncle brought them back loads of whatever. But it is something they take very seriously nowadays. It is a federal offence to export things that fall under ITAR without the licence etc.. so if it were a case that they do fall foul at the very least the TSA can take everything.
    I wouldn't risk it for the sake of a few euros. And this is coming from someone who works in the industry and whos missus is american, whos friends are all working there as manufacturers/gunsmiths and exporters. ha

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭BillBen

juice1304 wrote: »
    Scopes and stocks come under the (ITAR) The International Traffic in Arms Regulations. Some are ok but the vast majority are not and need to be exported by someone with the proper licence.
    Now many here will scoff at this and say their uncle brought them back loads of whatever. But it is something they take very seriously nowadays. It is a federal offence to export things that fall under ITAR without the licence etc.. so if it were a case that they do fall foul at the very least the TSA can take everything.
    I wouldn't risk it for the sake of a few euros. And this is coming from someone who works in the industry and whos missus is american, whos friends are all working there as manufacturers/gunsmiths and exporters. ha

Cheers thanks for the advice. I wouldn't want to potentially get them into trouble. More than likely I'll leave it

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭adrian5765

stocks are normally ok but scopes are problems when above certain magnifications. i bought a stock on line and was sent from use to us here no problem. hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭BillBen

adrian5765 wrote: »
    stocks are normally ok but scopes are problems when above certain magnifications. i bought a stock on line and was sent from use to us here no problem. hope this helps

Yeah it does, it's the stock I really want, I've an m1 carbine that doesn't have the correct stock, trying to find one in the EU is impossible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

If all else fails and you really want the stock, give Michelle a shout here https://www.gibraltar-arms.com/ it will cost you but you will have your stock, oh and let her know she was recommended by a fellow Irishman.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

adrian5765 wrote: »

www.webyshops.com in Texas.I have bought two so called "tactical " scopes off them and they will ship 100% legally to Ireland. You just sign a 1page end user declaration that they send you and email it or send it back with the payment,and you have the scope within 10 days give or take. Go to their site and there is a whole explanation on international shipping and what is required.
    Most companies wont deal with outside CONUS because simply they don't know the law,or just don't want the hassle.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Hack12

Anything under $100 is ok as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

on gun parts.On scopes whatever you want to pay is the limit.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
Advertisement