Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkee Bay Hotel

• 01-05-2017 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi, we are due to stay in Kilkee Bay Hotel over the June bank holiday weekend. A friend of mine from the area said it was due to open this weekend but didn't. Anyone got any info on this- would be gutted if our break fell through!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

It definitely wasn't open this weekend and I don't know if there's any plans for it to open this year.

When/where did you book? I cannot see any availability on popular travel websites for it, so it might be worth following up or at least checking your t&c's. Even if it is open that weekend, it is likely it will be the first weekend of it being open for the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Rushwan

I booked through Pigsback some time ago, am going to contact them to see if they have any info, ta for reply

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Rushwan

Reply from Pigsback early this morning that they had heard rumours in relation to Kilkee Bay hotel, then around midday got another email saying hotel is up for sale & we will get full refund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Still accepting bookings online for it, very strange.

Kilkee needs a hotel, and we were hoping this would be it, but the management was more than shocking. It's like they assumed that People would just arrive at the hotel and they'd do brilliant! No advertising and the service was shoddy at best.

At least now the hotel has a proper roof on it now that it's being sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Sully777

It will not be opening and is now for sale..http://www.daft.ie/5429567

With the last operator, it was the kiss of death the day he took it over.

If Kilkee needed a Hotel then a decent operator or owner would have already purchased it. The business is not there besides a few weeks and weekends in the year.

Ocean Cove Hotel is closed for years and has planning for apartments and "Fisherman's Museum"
    Water Edge B & B - closed and sold as a private home last year
    Numerous B & B's, Guesthouses closed over the years. The Strand Guesthouse isn't even open outside of peak times.

There may be a function/wedding venue requirement but not accommodation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

There are hotels in Spanish Point, Doolin, Lahinch and many other places on the coast (with the same seasonal tourist trends) that can operate 12 months of the year - Kilkee should be no different.

Unfortunately, when these hotels were built, they were only built to benefit from the tax breaks and were never run by people who were actually interested in being hoteliers. Current owner afaik had no interest in being a hotelier either - just brought in a management company last year.

IMO what is needed is for someone who is genuinely interested in making a business out of it to take it over. Although, it would take some work to overturn the poor reputation that this hotel has now....but with the right people, it should be doable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Any update on this hotel ?

Any update on this hotel ?

Nothing in the 18 minutes between your posts, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

800,00 euro :eek: The inside is trashed so I doubt there will be any takers at that price.

Palmach wrote: »
    800,00 euro :eek: The inside is trashed so I doubt there will be any takers at that price.

How's it get trashed??

Palmach wrote: »

Really? I'd find that strange considering that there was a possibility that it could have opened this summer. Didn't seem trashed last year!

New roof on the hotel so there should be no issues with leaks, unlike before it was bought originally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Has a sign up outside it saying for auction.

That hotel was bought with the West county for a total sum of €625,000, so it was really bought for near nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Has a sign up outside it saying for auction.

That hotel was bought with the West county for a total sum of €625,000, so it was really bought for near nothing.

if 625 was paid for it and it has been attended to ..... roof etc ...... then I guess 800 is not at all too much.

if 625 was paid for it and it has been attended to ..... roof etc ...... then I guess 800 is not at all too much.

It was not bought for 625,000, it was bought with the West County hotel for that total amount. The West county however would be worth alot more, so I'd wager it was alone bought for a figure of 200,000 or slightly lower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Actually it says in todays paper that it was bought for €320,000 by JJ in March 2013.

finbarrk wrote: »
    Actually it says in todays paper that it was bought for €320,000 by JJ in March 2013.

Looked it up and you're correct!

€800,000 is still vastly overpriced though, won't make that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

It's a shame Kilkee really needs a hotel, i see the waterfront is up for sale aswell, i remember when that was a games arcade in the late 80's and early 90's, many a fine bjour to be had

• Advertisement
Advertisement