Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bespoke Cabinet Design

• 01-05-2017 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

I would like to design a bespoke cabinet for my house. I work as a mechanical design engineer whereby I design metal components on 3D CAD systems and then give the drawings to a toolmaker who manufactures them for me.

Are there similar services available for woodworking? Could I design the cabinet that I want and then hand the drawings over to a workshop who would cut the laminated particle board panels to size, and put a laminated edge on them? Does anybody know of any independent workshops who would offer this kind of service or would something like this be very expensive for a small one-off project like mine?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

What cad programme are you using. Will you be producing the cnc data for manufacture.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Rataan

kadman wrote: »
    What cad programme are you using. Will you be producing the cnc data for manufacture.

I use NX for my 3D modelling. The toolmakers who manufacture metal components for me using CNC lathes and milling machines usually request DXF, Parasolid or STEP files. I was wondering does it work the same way in the woodworking sector? Do people submit drawings and CNC files to a workshop to have panels cut, drilled and edged, or is that something that is only economical on a large scale?

I have a few projects around the house that I could design and assemble myself if this method exists, but was wondering is it cheaper to hire a cabinet maker to do the whole design, manufacture and assembly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

PM sent

Advertisement