Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Naughton Scholarship

Options
  • 01-05-2017 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I'm filling out the application form for this and it does make it clear that the Scholarship is not for Medicine, Dentistry etc. and that it is for STEM courses only

It also asks for your top 4 choices on your CAO form.

Now, as it stands, I have Medicine as number 1 and then some engineering courses in at 2, 3 and 4.

I was wondering...if they see Medicine as number one on my CAO, will I more or less automatically kill my chances at getting the scholarship, or will I still be in the running when they see the other courses I have on the list?

Any and all advice appreciated

I'm just wondering because there's a fair bit of work involved in the application, and I don't want to bother if it's just going to be kicked to the kerb at first glance (and even if it isn't, I know my chances are slim)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ire21

JimPatTom wrote: »
    I'm filling out the application form for this and it does make it clear that the Scholarship is not for Medicine, Dentistry etc. and that it is for STEM courses only

It also asks for your top 4 choices on your CAO form.

Now, as it stands, I have Medicine as number 1 and then some engineering courses in at 2, 3 and 4.

I was wondering...if they see Medicine as number one on my CAO, will I more or less automatically kill my chances at getting the scholarship, or will I still be in the running when they see the other courses I have on the list?

Any and all advice appreciated

I'm just wondering because there's a fair bit of work involved in the application, and I don't want to bother if it's just going to be kicked to the kerb at first glance (and even if it isn't, I know my chances are slim)

Hmm, they usually look for people that are love and are passionate about STEM subjects so I would imagine that having Medicine as your first choice would affect your chances of getting it.

I'd say it would depend on how many other strong applicants they have from your county- if they have plenty of high-achieving students who have STEM subjects as number one on their CAO from your county they may just eliminate you near the start. However if it is not very competitive in your county, you may not be kicked out immediately.

If you don't mind me asking, why do you only have Medicine as number 1 and not as all the courses in your top 5?

Advertisement