Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deteriorating eyesight in your 20s

• 01-05-2017 9:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Was hoping to get a bit of reassurances/opinions if ye don't mind.

I'm 27, and my lens prescription is +3.75 left eye and +5.50 on the right eye.

I wear contact lenses while at work and then usually switch to glasses in the evening and at the weekends. I find that I generally don't need glasses for most outdoor stuff such as playing sports as I am long sighted.

My issues are with reading and using my phone/computer.

I recently found out from Optilase that I am not a candidate for laser eye surgery. They referred to a treatment I can have when I am around 40 that sounded a bit more invasive.

My prescription has been creeping up the last two years though, in 2014 I had 2.50 on the left eye and 3.50 on the right eye.

The optician today referred to my prescription as being strong, what is worrying me is the deterioration. Is it normal to the prescription to go up gradually throughout your 20s? particularly since most people in their 20s suffer from short sightedness and not long sightedness.

If it keeps going at the current rate, my prescription will be very high by the time I reach my mid 30s for example.

Is there any advice to slow down the deterioration, for example, using my glasses more than the contact lenses? Or will it plateau at some stage?

Thanks all :) Would appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

What reason did Optilase give you for not being a candidate for surgery? I got it done at Christmas with a prescription of -5.75/-4.75.. I know thats short sighted but I wouldn't have thought your prescription is that out of the way? My eyes deteriorated a little every year until i was about 29 or 30! Then it stopped.. they say your eyes should plateau at 21 but that wasnt the case for me anyways but they should plateau for you.. thats quite a jump in 2 years though? If the optician wasnt too worried about it then I don't think you should be? You could always get a second opinion? Ask your optician for a copy of your prescriptions and go to another one and ask them what they think?

Advertisement