Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shan's Stygian Shack of Shenanigans (Lair Thread)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Are you heading to bed soon?. There's an acronym, HALT, standing for hungry, angry, lonely, tired. It's a small checklist for if mood has suddenly dipped..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Shpud2

Are you heading to bed soon?. There's an acronym, HALT, standing for hungry, angry, lonely, tired. It's a small checklist for if mood has suddenly dipped..

I am all of those.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Address them as best you can.

Address them as best you can.

I had food a while ago

If still hungry after twenty minutes you might need a little more.. Probably need some downtime too, no screens, as you had a long day. I won't really get into the other two since you have a plan in place there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Sorry to hear you guys are feeling sad. I'm a bit anxious myself, maybe it's just one of those nights

If still hungry after twenty minutes you might need a little more.. Probably need some downtime too, no screens, as you had a long day. I won't really get into the other two since you have a plan in place there.

I'll go down and get some more and I'll try get some sleep in a while and put away the phone. What plans have I got in place for the other two?

You see a professional now. That'll help you to manage things

You see a professional now. That'll help you to manage things

Hope so.

I'm hoping too man.

• Advertisement

For now it's sad boi hours.

Yeah it's time and effort for a while until things shift.

Physio next week will be a good chance to vent my feelings.

Oh yeah, no better place, yikes.

I like it. She's cool. Relatable. Will listen to everything I say and I feel comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Knock, knock.. Is this where the insomniacs hang out?

Samsgirl wrote: »

Howdy :)

It is indeed. Welcome

Welcome in :)

• Advertisement

Thanks! Tormented with sciatica and not sleeping the past while.

Nasty dose, hope it gecks off soon for you.

Well if you're not sleeping you'll fit right in here

Watching David Attenborough, trying to chill out enough to try and get to sleep

Kitty6277 wrote: »
    Watching David Attenborough, trying to chill out enough to try and get to sleep

I'm not sure whether or not to do the same. Might put something on or maybe just turning everything off instead.

I'm an off person.. No lights, books or anything

• Advertisement

If I turn everything off it'll just be me and my thoughts.

Shpud2 wrote: »
    I'm not sure whether or not to do the same. Might put something on or maybe just turning everything off instead.

I rarely drift off with it on, but I'll know when I'm getting near falling asleep, so I turn it off then

I rarely drift off with it on, but I'll know when I'm getting near falling asleep, so I turn it off then

That's good. I can fall asleep with shows on or maybe just a video that gives some background noise

That's good. I can fall asleep with shows on or maybe just a video that gives some background noise

I used to be like that, I'd always fall asleep with my radio on

Usually sleep on my left side but can't at the moment. As soon as I find a comfy position I get hit by the 5 yr old who is sleeping in with me cos she puked in her own bed.

• Advertisement

My sleep is awful broken so i don't want anything waking me, i practice things while waiting to sleep.

I used to be like that, I'd always fall asleep with my radio on

I used to be big into listening to the radio at night. 4fm and 2fm. Not anymore as I don't have a radio app anymore so I use Spotify but I focus more on the music and can't sleep

I used to be big into listening to the radio at night. 4fm and 2fm. Not anymore as I don't have a radio app anymore so I use Spotify but I focus more on the music and can't sleep

Would reading help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

The one thing guaranteed to put me to sleep is listening to an interesting podcast. Because my brain is a bellend and switches off as soon as something good happens.

Any of the stations I used to listen to started repeating the daytime shows at night which I had no interest in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

You could always try downloading the ‘Calm’ app to your phone. It just plays really hypnotic calming background noise like rain or ocean waves etc. You can set a timer on it too so it doesn’t play all night

Would reading help?

I'm not sure because I'd need the light on to do that.

Gwildor wrote: »
    The one thing guaranteed to put me to sleep is listening to an interesting podcast. Because my brain is a bellend and switches off as soon as something good happens.

I love podcasts but I couldn't fall asleep listening to one because I'm too interested.

Any of the stations I used to listen to started repeating the daytime shows at night which I had no interest in

There used to be a show called Chris and Ciara on 2fm at that time and I enjoyed them. I also used to listen to Niall Boylan at night too but that was hit and miss.

The shipping forecast used to knock me out when i was younger :pac:

• Advertisement

Gwildor wrote: »
    You could always try downloading the ‘Calm’ app to your phone. It just plays really hypnotic calming background noise like rain or ocean waves etc. You can set a timer on it too so it doesn’t play all night

White noise like that doesn't really work for me. More like voices or one that really does it for me is dashcam videos.

The shipping forecast used to knock me out when i was younger :pac:

I catch that occasionally. Is there anything more boring than it?

See it starts off interesting but then it gets repepititive and becomes white noise.

I don't think I could listen to it at all without finding it boring.

That's why it was decent sleep material for me..

I'm anxious over a situation (well not exactly a situation, but one that my brain's like "well, it could happen") and as I'm trying to sleep my head is thinking of all the completely and utterly off the wall ways it could play out. Thought I heard the click of keys in the front door and it briefly paralysed me with fear thinking "oh god it's happening" even though it's completely unlikely or even impossible. My imagination needs to stop.

I effing hate that soooooooooooo much.. Oh it maddens me no end. Argh.. I catastrophise such ordinary things into impossible scenarios that i get convinced by.. Oh you have my sympathies Kitty it's a shocker.

It's awful. It's this guy who fancies me, and I turned him down which he didn't seem too impressed about. Now my head's like "what if he turns up where you live? What if he tells security he's my bf or something and they let him into the building and tell him my flat number? What do I do then?" despite the fact that I never told him where I live, or what I'm near or anything. It's so illogical and it's stopping me from getting to sleep

Damn Kitty that's a **** situation to be in.

• Advertisement

Damn Kitty that's a **** situation to be in.

The worst thing is that it's all in my head

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement