Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another beginner looking for a first bike

• 02-05-2017 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 25 ciefrimescu

Hi all,

I would really appreciate your help. I am a very novice beginner wannabe. Basically i know nothing about bikes.

I have work commitments that involve traveling a lot in dublin city. As the traffic is so bad my diesel car does not seem to be an option anymore....so i decided a bike could be a better option. Main use, to commute to work from maynooth and travelling within the city.

I am in my 30s so i understand i could go directly for an A type licence. Have a question about this.

If i have a full A type licence can i drive on a regular basis lets say a bike less then 35 kw, like a 125 cc? or is mandatory to drive a bike more than 35 kW.

I assume that for a full A type licence the driving test an the IBT will have to be on a bike > 35kw. Is this correct?

This takes me next to choosing a bike. As i have never been interested in motorcycles, not even remotely, i have some troubles deciding about a bike suitable for me. I am 85 Kg, 188 cm.

I think it is safe to start small and i was looking at some 125 cc suitable for an A2 licence. The main 4 are Honda CBF125 vs. Honda MSX 125 vs Yamaha MT 125 vs. KTM Duke 125.

Any suggestions in terms of reliability, what life span to expect, suitability for a beginner, insurance costs, technical glitches to watch for that could help me decide.

My brain and heart says Yamaha. Any thoughts?

Thanking you,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

You'll never have to ride a bigger bike, except for the test itself. It is better to get the A licence than restricting yourself to something smaller.

I wouldn't be looking at 125s. You'll be bored very quick. No reason you can't be as safe on something bigger, it'll only go as fast as you tell it to!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Complete your full A category IBT, will give you a much better idea of what bike you want.
    Doubt you will get a 125 after spending some time on a 600 during IBT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

For commuting you want something comfortable and I would say 400cc or more.

600cc would be grand and look at something that will suit you so try out a few.

Don't restrict yourself as above and sure you can always go for something like an auto moped afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Do you need luggage/storage?

I have a 250 and an 800. The 250 is great for the city. Chain, brake pads, and tyres last a long time (small bike as things go). Bigger usually means heavier, less agile, parts wear quicker, and filtering is a bit harder or impossible at times. Don't need anything more powerful, in my opinion.

I wouldn't go for a 125CC though.

Have you instead considered a decent scooter like a T-Max or a Burgman?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

As you're commuting from Maynooth you'll be on the M4 and will want a 600+. I appreciate that you'd prefer a smaller motor to err on the side of caution (I'm guessing thats why) and possibly ride a 125 but you will quickly grow out of anything smaller than a 600 especially for your needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

I would echo everyone who has already replied -- get a 600cc or above bike.

When you say work commitments, are you needing to carry gear / laptop / change of clothes? If you are doing a lot of driving in the city, you'll need to be ready for all weather!

A touring bike might be a good option, e.g. honda deauville etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ciefrimescu

@ pugzilla. sounds reasonable. i think i ll take your advice and go for the full A. 10x

@ rat race. dont have much to cary just myself and a backpack

so the overall ethos is towards a bigger bike.

one of the reasons, apart from safety, why i chose a 125 was that i would like a new bike and the Yamaha and the KTM were at the top of my budget which is around 5000.

for this money cant have a new 250 - 600 cc.

is it better as a beginner to go for a new or second hand one?

i always avoided second hand cars for the reason of not knowing how well were cared for by the previous owner. i would rather buy less specs but new.

any suggestions for a 250 - 600 good for a beginner?

thanks all

For a beginner, second hand is preferable I think.
    Chances are you will drop your first bike, it will feel a lot worse and cost a lot more if it happens to be a shiny new bike.

It's your money though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭COH

I'd echo what others have said and say go for something bigger (~600cc) ... particularly if you are planning on using the motorway.

With your budget you'll be able to choose from lots of bikes... have a look at the likes of hornets, fazers, sv650 etc. not only will you be bored to death of a 125 in no time but you'll appreciate the extra weight/power on the road for your commute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,127 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You should easily be able to get a lightly used MT07 for 5k.

I have a variant of that and is a great first bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

I would also recommend starting off on a bigger bike.

I only started riding a few months ago and started of on the Kawasaki ER6f aka Ninja 650 in other parts of the world.

It's really comfortable with upright seating position and can go like the clappers on the motorway.

Do not buy a 125cc. You will regret it after a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Choosing the bike is only the first problem, don't forget you will need good gear if you plan to commute.
    I only commute when I want but I've got 3 full sets of gear for different weather conditions, €2500 worth of gear that I keep in a wardrobe in the garage

Here's a quick list but these are only estimates and you could need summer versions of jacket/trousers/gloves/boots etc

Get a good helmet > 250 to 600
    Waterproof gloves > 80 upwards
    Good textile jacket & trousers > 400 upwards
    Waterproof boots 150 upwards

Some of the textiles come with removable thermal and waterproof liners. Would recommend them as a first set of gear. RST are good value.

thank you all guys.

i went to bikeworld yesterday and tried to sit on various bikes. yamaha mt 9, honda cbf 500 and cb500x, kawasaki er 6f.

to be honest i felt intimidate and insecure on the Yamaha and Kawasaki due to having to lean forward over the petrol tank in order to reach the handle bars. i did not like this sport position.

the most comfortable was the cbf 500. a more decent position, i could stay straighter and the feet were actually under me and not behind me which felt very awkward.

so i decided to go with the honda cbf 500 preferably, or 500x if i can find any of then second hand with a low mileage.

any thoughts about these two. some people mentioned issues with corrosion with the x model.

cheers

Have you finished your IBT yet?
    I would hold off buying a bike until then.

have not done it yet.

i will probably buy it later. want to see what i ll have during the IBT and collect more info from the instructor.

but at least i have an option now.

btw how is to deal with bike world. nial was very pleasant and helpful. are they ok in terms of prices and service?

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

All shops are BRILLIANT when buying something, its the after sales that makes the shop.....an awful lot of people have had terrible trouble with BW on here. And not just little things either.....

If you go for the full A then you won't be able to sit your driving test on a 500. Those bikes were designed to meet A2 licence requirements.

@ wonda: i have heard rummors about this and that is why i wanted ask more.

so who would be a decent post sales service provider....there are a lot of bike dealers around

@ pugzilla: i am aware of this. i ll rent a 600cc from the instructor for the exam.

seemingly the new honda cbf500 is made in india - have people had any issues because of this, i mean quality etc?

thanks lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

For a bike or for accessories?

If I was buying a bike I would not go near a dealer, at best they offer 3-6 mths warranty for a top premium. I would be on a boat to the UK or up North to get a bike, a bike that is well looked after REGARDLESS of the year will run sweet as a nut. I have seen 00 bikes looked after in better shape then some 2010 bikes!

The majority of bikers love their bikes and maintain them so well that you would have no issue buying them.

Good bikes are out there you just need patience and time to search for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Regards the bike there are two things you can do here.

Grab a bike that you like and then go with a school bike for the test, you've no worries about will the bike be suitable, only thing is it might take a bit to get used to the school bike.

Or take a look at this list http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/Driving-Test-Vehicles---Motorcycles/ and see if the bike you like is there and approved for the test you'd like to take.

No offence but why come on here start yet another beginner what bike thread, everyone on here is very helpful, most other forums would tell you to use the search option but then you ignore all our advice. Buy a 500 but its the wrong bike, you'll just end up having to buy again sooner rather than later and why pay good money to rent a bike when you could have gone 100cc more. Speak to your IBT instructor if you're not ready to go to a 600 they'll tell you, in fact they wont put you on one unless you're ready... But you will be.

Buy the right bike for the test, you won't regret it test day.

I wouldn't buy a bike from bikeworld, as it's your first bike maybe going to a dealer is best as theres some sort of safety net there over a private sale.

so just passed the theory test....and now planing to apply for the L license....

i am a bit confused about this...I have asked this question with the people form NDLS but they did not know the answer....

if my learner permit is for cat A and i do the IBT for cat A, can i drive any inferior bikes as a learner on my own, on the road - like A 2 bikes? Do i need to have the A2 cat on the learner permit to do it? The IBT for A2 and A includes the same modules? Can you have multiple learner categories form the motorcycle range on your learner permit?

My understanding was that once you have the A you can drive all the other inferior bikes? was i wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

you can drive any power bike with an A permit and A IBT (as long as you're insured)

you need to be on an A bike for your test though.

that is great. thanks frozen

i have my eyes on a honda cb500x (A2 cat) for everyday ride after i complete the ibt. i ll probably rent a suitable cat A bike for the test.

So far this is the one in my budget for a new bike. all the new cat A bikes are over my budget.

Just get a used hornet, bandit or fazer.
    Relaible bikes that will have a lot more performance and value than a new A2 bike like the CB500x.
    You'll likely drop your first bike as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

so just passed the theory test....and now planing to apply for the L license....

i am a bit confused about this...I have asked this question with the people form NDLS but they did not know the answer....

if my learner permit is for cat A and i do the IBT for cat A, can i drive any inferior bikes as a learner on my own, on the road - like A 2 bikes? Do i need to have the A2 cat on the learner permit to do it? The IBT for A2 and A includes the same modules? Can you have multiple learner categories form the motorcycle range on your learner permit?

My understanding was that once you have the A you can drive all the other inferior bikes? was i wrong?

Yes, you are correct. 'A' permit covers all bikes, regardless of whether the smaller bikes are printed on the permit. And when you pass the A, they automatically grant you the smaller bikes on your full licence anyway. NDLS are rather clueless when it comes to bikes.

10x guys

You should seriously consider the advice you're getting here.

• Advertisement

@ zubair

i am and i have considered the advice got here. you guys were more than helpful and i thank you for this.

i started from the idea of having a small 125 and i have listened to the advice of you and went with a higher capacity.

you have to understand that i am looking for something to suit my needs and budget.

also for various reasons i insist to have a new bike not a sh ideally. if i ll find a very low mileage cb500 i wont say no to it. i had previous sh cars before and were just money sinks.....

also, i am not a bike fanatic, i just want a decent new workhorse. so for my budget and needs i think the cb500f/x is more than enough. at this moment i dont need more power.

i have sat on some over 600 cc bikes, but i was not comfortable with the position - to much forward leaning, were very bulky and made me feel insecure. i need something decent and small to allow me squeeze through the dublin traffic and to commute a short distance.

cheers,

Advertisement