Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another beginner looking for a first bike

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Fair enough, but we're all speaking from experience. A second hand cbf600 is a better choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ciefrimescu

Hi Guys,

So got the licence in the mail today and i ll do ibt next week.

Based on my budged and the wish for a new bike i have narrowed the list to these two.

I would appreciate it if you could give me some advice to help me choose one or the other.

The main use will be work commuting and city driving.

I know that there is a significant difference in terms of horse power between the two of them, but to be honest i am more interested in finding opinions on reliability, potential issues like corrosion, engines issues, price of parts and servicing, anything that could cause serious problems down line.

Cheers,

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Any modern Japanese bike will be reliable.
    Out of those 2, I would go for the SV.

As others have said, I wouldn't bother buying a brand new bike as your first.

@ pugzilla

thanks,

could you tell me please what is the main reason of not buying a new bike as a beginner? is it the risk of falls/damage which will make it loose value or there are other reasons as well?

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

@ pugzilla

thanks,

could you tell me please what is the main reason of not buying a new bike as a beginner? is it the risk of falls/damage which will make it loose value or there are other reasons as well?

Thanks,

Most likely you will get sick of it and want to change.

I bought new 1st but that was it.

Up to each persons look on it.

If it suits and you have the dosh go for it once you are happy.

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

Anybody there with a new 2017 yamaha MT07?

i am curios to find out if they have fixed the stalling issues in the 2017 model. plenty of people have complained about stalling, clunky gear box and excessive vibrations.

Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭Goose81

Hi guys,

Anybody there with a new 2017 yamaha MT07?

i am curios to find out if they have fixed the stalling issues in the 2017 model. plenty of people have complained about stalling, clunky gear box and excessive vibrations.

Cheers,
    Mate, it's a brand new bike. There's going to be nothing wrong with it at all, there's no 2018 model and there won't be. It will be the same model with a different reg. You seem to be looking for reasons not to buy a bike

Yamaha aren't a joke of a company, they don't release a bike unless it's road worthy and working.

If your stalling the bike it's not being driven properly and as a new biker you wouldn't even notice if the bike has a clunky gearbox or excessive vibrations. You won't have driven enough bikes to know what that feels like.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭tonytoc11

I have a 03 SV650S that I'll be selling in the next week or so if you have any interest.

tonytoc11 wrote: »
    I have a 03 SV650S that I'll be selling in the next week or so if you have any interest.

He's buying a new bike. Did you bother your hole reading the post or just go straight for the shill?

Goose81, would you leave off. Looking for excuses not to buy a bike? New biker wants new bike and wants to make sure the bike he buys is one he'll be happy with. You're not selling him one so what difference does it make how long he takes or how many bikes he considers?

OP, it's a Yamaha and it's popular with schools across Europe. If you like the bike it'll be fine.

OP, are you Irish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭Goose81

JayZeus wrote: »
    He's buying a new bike. Did you bother your hole reading the post or just go straight for the shill?

Goose81, would you leave off. Looking for excuses not to buy a bike? New biker wants new bike and wants to make sure the bike he buys is one he'll be happy with. You're not selling him one so what difference does it make how long he takes or how many bikes he considers?

OP, it's a Yamaha and it's popular with schools across Europe. If you like the bike it'll be fine.

Read back through the thread, op questions are ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Sound advice here.
    Forget the new bike route unless you re loaded. 80% of people that I know have dropped their first bike including myself (had only minor damage though as it was a naked bike).
    Secondly if you get bitten by the biker bug then you ll want to change the first bike soon enough.

For commuting from Maynooth I would get something with at least 600cc and fairings so you re protected from the elements. I can recommend a Suzuki V Strom 650 which is my current bike.
    Tops out at around 200 kph (downhill) and is easy on petrol. Very comfy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Just jumping on this thread instead of creating a new one,
    I'm in a similar situation, changing jobs shortly and commute via bus will not be a viable option. Will be travelling from Blessington to Ballsbridge. Was thinking about a 50cc for the commute as licence has AM, but reading this now think I should look at something bigger. Incidentally I hopefully should only need the bike for c6 months as will be moving closer to the train line in due course. If I was to look at a bigger bike, am I right in saying that I could apply for category A licence, and drive it on a provisional for say 6 months, and have no requirement to actually sit the test? At what stage does IBT have to be done? I have full car license since 2005, only has category AM permitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

TheShow wrote: »
    Just jumping on this thread instead of creating a new one,
    I'm in a similar situation, changing jobs shortly and commute via bus will not be a viable option. Will be travelling from Blessington to Ballsbridge. Was thinking about a 50cc for the commute as licence has AM, but reading this now think I should look at something bigger. Incidentally I hopefully should only need the bike for c6 months as will be moving closer to the train line in due course. If I was to look at a bigger bike, am I right in saying that I could apply for category A licence, and drive it on a provisional for say 6 months, and have no requirement to actually sit the test? At what stage does IBT have to be done? I have full car license since 2005, only has category AM permitted.

You need to do the IBT before you can go out on the road.

If you had no need for a bike after 6 months you'd never need to do the test.

but your IBT expires after two years, so it would be worth doing the test and then having the bike category for ever, just in case you ever needed it again or even just wanted to ride a bike on holidays or get one for the weekends etc etc..

hope that helps

Thanks frozen. so you need to complete IBT before going on the road unsupervised. If you have your own bike, how does it get transported to IBT centre for training if you are not allowed to ride it? Probably easiest/most sensible option is to do the IBT using a school bike, then purchase a bike after IBT is completed. sorry, I'm rambling/thinking out loud a bit here....

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Probably easiest/most sensible option is to do the IBT using a school bike, then purchase a bike after IBT is completed.
    Yes, and has the advantage that you can try a few different school bikes before deciding which bike to purchase.

Thanks for the advice, now to try and sell it to herself!

Pugzilla wrote: »
    OP, are you Irish?

yes

Goose81 wrote: »
    Read back through the thread, op questions are ridiculous

why ridiculous?

if you have this kind of attitude maybe you should not waste you time here

MSVforever wrote: »
    Sound advice here.
    Forget the new bike route unless you re loaded. 80% of people that I know have dropped their first bike including myself (had only minor damage though as it was a naked bike).
    Secondly if you get bitten by the biker bug then you ll want to change the first bike soon enough.

For commuting from Maynooth I would get something with at least 600cc and fairings so you re protected from the elements. I can recommend a Suzuki V Strom 650 which is my current bike.
    Tops out at around 200 kph (downhill) and is easy on petrol. Very comfy too.

thanks

i am hoovering between the new 2017 v strom 650 and the bmw f700gs. leaning more towards the vstrom

how did you find the prices for servicing and maintenance for the v strom ? ball park figures///

the bmw seems built better but the potential costs with servicing it scare me....mostly because i cant find any quotes on the net.....

both suzuki and bmw said figures around 150-200 for an usual service...bmw owners seem to quote more than that though

cheers

• Advertisement

I don't understand, you're happy to buy brand new for your first bike, but are worried about the cost of servicing?

Get a decent tool kit and you'll be able to do most of the servicing yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,072 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Thanks for the advice, now to try and sell it to herself!

Forgiveness is easier obtained than permission :)

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Hate to drag up an old thread. But what did you do in the end?

i decided to go with a new vstrom 650 xt

brilliant bike.

PM me please if you want more deails

Advertisement