Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips on Fat and Weight Loss Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭cbmonstra

Your calories allowance at 1700 - 2200 seems very high.

I think you need to change the activity settings in MyFitnessPal from Active to Sedentary.

Most people who use MFP, regardless of their exercise levels during the week will have it set to Sedentary.

For example, I go to the gym 4 times a week and a brisk 60 minute walk every day, but I still use Sedentary.

Also, can't stress enough the importance of weighing everything. I used to think I could eyeball my food too. Was astounded when I got the scales and started using them properly, you really will notice the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Hi OP,
    I've read this thread and the thread you've previously posted. I would make an appointment with your GP to discuss the stomach pains you've been experiencing esp with a history of kidney issues and an eating disorder. It will be a good opportunity to rule out any medical issues that may be affecting your weight loss but also an opportunity to get a referral to a dietician (if you want) and general advice. Don't bury your head in the sand, follow the advice people here have taken time to write about weighing food and increasing exercise. But first I would see a professional about the pains!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭DisneyLover

cbmonstra wrote: »
    Your calories allowance at 1700 - 2200 seems very high.

I think you need to change the activity settings in MyFitnessPal from Active to Sedentary.

Most people who use MFP, regardless of their exercise levels during the week will have it set to Sedentary.

For example, I go to the gym 4 times a week and a brisk 60 minute walk every day, but I still use Sedentary.

Also, can't stress enough the importance of weighing everything. I used to think I could eyeball my food too. Was astounded when I got the scales and started using them properly, you really will notice the difference.

I walk 5-12000 steps a day. Workout 4/5 days a week, Im very fit. I can run miles too not doing it atm because of my weight.

1700-2200 isn't a lot. Im 16 st 10 pounds. Im active and Im 5 foot 11 lol.

Not much at that weight it doesn't. OP is probably overestimating calorie intake, as suggested numerous times.

Not over eating though. Went over my my fitness pal and it was 1500-1800 all week which isnt enough.

Scraggs wrote: »
    Hi OP,
    I've read this thread and the thread you've previously posted. I would make an appointment with your GP to discuss the stomach pains you've been experiencing esp with a history of kidney issues and an eating disorder. It will be a good opportunity to rule out any medical issues that may be affecting your weight loss but also an opportunity to get a referral to a dietician (if you want) and general advice. Don't bury your head in the sand, follow the advice people here have taken time to write about weighing food and increasing exercise. But first I would see a professional about the pains!

I found out that the doctor and accupunture guy deals with stomach pains, ibs and anxiety so might just go to him :) Im on anti depressants for social anxiety but theyve stopped working now which isnt helping me at all. Thanks for your reply !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

There are definitely too many calories going in OP.

I lost 25 lbs at start of year in 6 weeks.
    Probably less than 1500 kcal a day.
    Drank alcohol on 2 days in 2 months.

I dont believe in cheat days or treats.

If you want to get the weight off be serious about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Rodin wrote: »
    There are definitely too many calories going in OP.

I lost 25 lbs at start of year in 6 weeks.
    Probably less than 1500 kcal a day.
    Drank alcohol on 2 days in 2 months.

I dont believe in cheat days or treats.

If you want to get the weight off be serious about it.

OP, ignore this advice.

If this person didn't believe in cheat days or treats they wouldn't have needed to lose weight in the first place.

Take it slowly. Weigh your food and be accurate and see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Not over eating though. Went over my my fitness pal and it was 1500-1800 all week which isnt enough.

The problem is what you're putting into MyFitnessPal isn't accurate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

I walk 5-12000 steps a day. Workout 4/5 days a week, Im very fit. I can run miles too not doing it atm because of my weight.

1700-2200 isn't a lot. Im 16 st 10 pounds. Im active and Im 5 foot 11 lol.

You're not losing weight though so either your estimates are wrong or your daily calories are too high.

The best thing to do is to weigh every single thing for a few weeks and find out for sure what you're actually eating.

Genuine question- how do you know you can run for miles if you aren't doing it?

You're not losing weight though so either your estimates are wrong or your daily calories are too high.

The best thing to do is to weigh every single thing for a few weeks and find out for sure what you're actually eating.

Genuine question- how do you know you can run for miles if you aren't doing it?

I could do it a few weeks ago but my legs started getting bad and wasnt doing anything for me as in walking and cycling was the same so dont want to hurt my legs and with the excess weight too. I dunno even with weight on Im very fit. My Dads the same.

And going to start weighing food on Monday getting a scales Sunday before work! I dont think Im that off though but cheers for the advice :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

I could do it a few weeks ago but my legs started getting bad and wasnt doing anything for me as in walking and cycling was the same so dont want to hurt my legs and with the excess weight too. I dunno even with weight on Im very fit. My Dads the same.

And going to start weighing food on Monday getting a scales Sunday before work! I dont think Im that off though but cheers for the advice :)

I get you, I was wondering how you knew :)

Good luck with it, maybe you're not wrong and you could look at lowering your calories instead- at least you'll have ruled out one potential problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

id question who worked out your maintenance calories and deficit calories...
    i'm much shorter than you and weighed significantly more than you i'm just 5ft and was over 20 stone.
    my deficit was much less than yours and my maintenance is much lower depending on the day and ive successfully kept the weight off (7 stone)
    my BMR when i first started was just over 2000  and my maintenance calories are now around 1600 to 1800, this goes up then depending on if its a long run day or whatnot and i am very active. i run nearly every day as well as spinning, strongman classes etc
    also you asked about the monitoring of calories on MFP, i do this too BUT you have to be really careful with it some of the stuff is just plain wrong, remember anyone can add foods to the app so you need to make sure it matches whats on the food your eating.
    meats its always cooked weight, pasta is the cooked weight, think of it this way 40g of cooked pasta is only around 15-20 grams of dried pasta. it makes a huge difference.
    you mentioned you also had a disordered relationship with food, the best thing i can recommend is to go to an actual dietician, remember in Ireland the only actual person who is properly qualified to give you advise on this is the one who spells it with a  'C' dietician not dietitian. The one with the C is a protected term, dietiTian you can do a weekend online course and be good to go ie a nutritionist , DietiCian you have a degree are registered with the medical board in Ireland it very closely regulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No its not though. Im 5'11 and 16 stone 10 lbs and Im active so its not, 2200 was recommended for weight loss and 1900 was recommended for losing 2 lbs a week

This doesn't seem right, I was a 16 stone man with a muscular build and an active lifestyle and I was eating 1700/1800 calories a day to drop a bit of weight. Even now I'm just maintaining weight and would usually have less than 2200 calories a day, if you are eating 2200 then you are eating more than I ever was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

meats its always cooked weight, pasta is the cooked weight, think of it this way 40g of cooked pasta is only around 15-20 grams of dried pasta. it makes a huge difference.

That's madness! It's always the raw weights, as there are so many variables that impact the cooked weight! The raw weight is what's labelled on the packaging! sure then people would be throwing out tonnes of food each day cos they had to cook it before they would weigh it! Even 50g of dry pasta will come out different weights depending on how long it's cooked, like if you cook it al denté it will weigh less than if you let all the water boil off!!

Op weigh first then cook, when searching for foods on MFP just search chicken breast raw, or wholegrain rice dry weight for example, if the results don't match the packaging you have just add your own and make it recognisable so you can use it without thinking the next time.

That's madness! It's always the raw weights, as there are so many variables that impact the cooked weight! The raw weight is what's labelled on the packaging! sure then people would be throwing out tonnes of food each day cos they had to cook it before they would weigh it! Even 50g of dry pasta will come out different weights depending on how long it's cooked, like if you cook it al denté it will weigh less than if you let all the water boil off!!

Op weigh first then cook, when searching for foods on MFP just search chicken breast raw, or wholegrain rice dry weight for example, if the results don't match the packaging you have just add your own and make it recognisable so you can use it without thinking the next time.
    are you for real? if you use the raw weight your not taking into account the way you cook the meat,
    a deep fat fried chicken breast is significantly higher in calories than a grilled chicken breast, or a fried breast in rapeseed oil v dry fried. are you saying a raw chicken breast which is approx 120 calories v a grilled chicken breast 100 calories (both the same weight obviously) v 260 in a fried chicken breast. that only counts if you eat it raw.
    when your counting calories of course its the cooked ones you use, your not eating raw chicken breast or 50g of dried pasta are you? not your eating a grilled chicken breast and 100g of of cooked pasta. no wonder people cant lose weight.
    i dont care if you weigh it before or after as long as you log it correctly, the OP is struggling so is clearly missing a trick when logging her food.  there no point logging that your eating 50g of pasta when your not, your doubling your calories without realising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It's more accurate to weigh uncooked and then take into account cooking method and/or cooking additions. It's not always practical, but for things like pasta and rice it's not that hard. Or a baked or grilled chicken breast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭bladespin

are you for real? if you use the raw weight your not taking into account the way you cook the meat,

MFP already does this for you, enter the food's raw weight then select cooking style - simples.

bladespin wrote: »

MFP already does this for you, enter the food's raw weight then select cooking style - simples.
    i know, but im trying to help the OP who seems to be eating to many calories so assumed she might not know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

a deep fat fried chicken breast is significantly higher in calories than a grilled chicken breast, or a fried breast in rapeseed oil v dry fried. are you saying a raw chicken breast which is approx 120 calories v a grilled chicken breast 100 calories (both the same weight obviously) v 260 in a fried chicken breast. that only counts if you eat it raw.

Yes I'm for real, One chicken breast, fried in 1tsp of oil, log the chicken log the oil? I don't I don't know what's unbelievable about that at all!
    no wonder people cant lose weight.
    Plenty of people lose weight by weighting, measuring and logging all of the ingredients of a meal. cooked weights require too much adjustments for cooking method and time. The easiest way to do it is to say ok this meal requires 100g raw chicken, 2 tsp oil, 1 clove of garlic, 20g green pesto, 50g tomato and 50g dry pasta. Add all those things to mfp and that's the cals for the meal. I don't see what you think that's complex or odd

Yes I'm for real, One chicken breast, fried in 1tsp of oil, log the chicken log the oil? I don't I don't know what's unbelievable about that at all!
    no wonder people cant lose weight.
    Plenty of people lose weight by weighting, measuring and logging all of the ingredients of a meal. cooked weights require too much adjustments for cooking method and time. The easiest way to do it is to say ok this meal requires 100g raw chicken, 2 tsp oil, 1 clove of garlic, 20g green pesto, 50g tomato and 50g dry pasta. Add all those things to mfp and that's the cals for the meal. I don't see what you think that's complex or odd
    with respect i think your missing my point. the OP is not losing weight, i suggested that perhaps she is logging the foods incorrectly. ie logging a raw chicken breast instead of a fried or grilled one, or logging 50g of pasta when it is in fact 100g cooked pasta. or logging a grilled chicken breast instead of a fried one.

it was a suggestion to help someone. no need to get all worked up over it. i successfully lost 7 stone by logging and monitoring my food as well as a few other things it was hit or miss for a while because if your not used to being aware of your consumption you can miss some simple things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

with respect i think your missing my point. the OP is not losing weight, i suggested that perhaps she is logging the foods incorrectly. ie logging a raw chicken breast instead of a fried or grilled one, or logging 50g of pasta when it is in fact 100g cooked pasta. or logging a grilled chicken breast instead of a fried one.
    The OP has already they said they were estimating not weighing. It wasn't the "complexity" of cooked or uncooked.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    The OP has already they said they were estimating not weighing. It wasn't the "complexity" of cooked or uncooked.
    dude chill out, no one said it was complex of not but if you dont know and are unaware of the difference then you can get caught out. shes not losing weight, theres something not right.
    she also said she had an ED so was basically the rain man of calories and was always on point with them, i doubted it and gave some examples of how she might be going wrong.
    no need to be on the massive defensive. its all just to help someone. chill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Day Lewin wrote:
    Is it possible, that your food, exercise, height and size are now in balance - neither gaining nor losing - you may be already at your optimum weight; and if healthy and strong, maybe you could turn your attention away from this topic?

Nearly 17 stone. Encouraging someone to remain at that weight is not good advice. It's just not healthy.

Nearly 17 stone. Encouraging someone to remain at that weight is not good advice. It's just not healthy.

Hmmm, how do you know? 240lbs could be quite a reasonable weight for some, for others it would be morbidly obese.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

are you saying a raw chicken breast which is approx 120 calories v a grilled chicken breast 100 calories (both the same weight obviously) v 260 in a fried chicken breast. that only counts if you eat it raw.
    If a breast is 120 cals raw, then it will be 120 cal when grilled.
    Cooking doesn't change the calories of the actual chicken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

bladespin wrote:
    Hmmm, how do you know? 240lbs could be quite a reasonable weight for some, for others it would be morbidly obese.

You're generalizing a specific response.

nhunter100 wrote: »
    You're generalizing a specific response.

Think you're the one who generalized assuming 17st was overweight, the poster you criticize could be perfectly right.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

bladespin wrote: »
    Think you're the one who generalized assuming 17st was overweight, the poster you criticize could be perfectly right.

Sure, the 17 stone poster asking for help losing fat and weight could be perfectly healthy, it is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

bladespin wrote:

Since I don't know the waist measurement of the OP I can only use the BMI scale to give an indication. Given her weight and height she is classed as obsese with a BMI of 32.*. I prefer the newer waist measurement but as I said the BMI is an indication. Plus I'm dealing with what the OP has stated not with what might or might not apply to others.

• Advertisement

Sure, the 17 stone poster asking for help losing fat and weight could be perfectly healthy, it is possible.

I don't refer to the OP, merely the comment you made in response to another's post who could very well be right, though it is a stretch in the OP's case, asserting that 17st is overweight is not necessarily the correct assumption, there are many out there who weigh that or more who could never be described as overweight, think Lomu, Thorpe.
    nhunter100 wrote: »
    Since I don't know the waist measurement of the OP I can only use the BMI scale to give an indication. Given her weight and height she is classed as obsese with a BMI of 32.*. I prefer the newer waist measurement but as I said the BMI is an indication. Plus I'm dealing with what the OP has stated not with what might or might not apply to others.

I agree, personally I think BMI is a bit stupid but it this case it's fine, we're not talking 1 or 2 points.

Advertisement