Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir proof of stealing this month.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Well thanks for the thread. My contract is up this summer so I'll go elsewhere then. There's nothing I hate more than a company 'fining' me for using their service.

eir: Anna wrote: »
    Johnnio13 wrote: »
    Every month since I left Eircom in 2013 I've been getting an email to say I have a refund due for €67.75. I've contacted them a number of times but now I don't even bother.
    Nobody can tell me why I am getting them as I have no account anymore ('cause I cancelled it), There is no record of me at that address (even though I have bills for 2 years) Its a new system (ya right!)
    I gave up trying when they changed to Eir.
    I was told that I was due a refund but when I tried to get it I just got the run around and it was so much hassle that I gave up. Did not stop Eir continuing to bill me for the account which was closed down with no outstanding balance on it, not did it stop them having a debt collector harass me, nor did it stop them telling me that if I did not pay them for the months 8 months after our contract was ended that they would ensure I was unable to get a mortgage or credit card as the "debt will follow you till you die". 
    Hi Deleted User,

I'm very sorry to hear this.

Can you please PM me your full name and account number and I would be more than happy to follow this up for you?

Thanks,
    Anna
    Why? So that you can give me the run around for the hundredth time. I gave up on your company and it's woefully pathetic customer service a long time ago. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

This takes me back. Sounds like Eir...com haven't changed. Bought my first house in a new estate back in the noughties, fully wired and with phone point etc already laid. Called Eircom to get it connected and was told it would be the following year before they got round to it so I went with a mobile instead. 

A year later I get a bill for line rental for a year. Called and was told the line went active a couple of weeks after I moved in so I owed for the year. Told them I hadn't known, was told that's no excuse, told them I didn't have a phone other than a mobile, was told that was a mistake and they'd remove the phone rental from the bill (big of them). Told them to look at the account activity. They did and admitted there was zero usage but were still adamant I pay a bill for a service I didn't even know I had, never mind signed for.

In the end I demanded they show me a contract with my signature on it. Didn't have one of course so I just refused and hung up. Cue calls for the following few months threatening me with debt collectors, court, fines etc. Was only when I said I had talked with a solicitor and was going to sue for harassment if they continued contacting me that the calls ceased. 

I then went through a different provider with the active line. Not a chance I was paying them anything and never dealt with them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

hi Anna,

which of the following words best describes eir's broadband offering?

[ ] limited
    [ ] unlimited

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

RGDATA! wrote: »
    hi Anna,

[ ] limited
    [ ] unlimited
    In fairness it is the second. You just pay €100 extra for the pleasure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭eir: Anna

Johnnio13 wrote: »
    Every month since I left Eircom in 2013 I've been getting an email to say I have a refund due for €67.75. I've contacted them a number of times but now I don't even bother.
    Nobody can tell me why I am getting them as I have no account anymore ('cause I cancelled it), There is no record of me at that address (even though I have bills for 2 years) Its a new system (ya right!)
    I gave up trying when they changed to Eir.
    I was told that I was due a refund but when I tried to get it I just got the run around and it was so much hassle that I gave up. Did not stop Eir continuing to bill me for the account which was closed down with no outstanding balance on it, not did it stop them having a debt collector harass me, nor did it stop them telling me that if I did not pay them for the months 8 months after our contract was ended that they would ensure I was unable to get a mortgage or credit card as the "debt will follow you till you die". 
    Hi Deleted User,

I'm very sorry to hear this.

Can you please PM me your full name and account number and I would be more than happy to follow this up for you?

Thanks,
    Anna
    Why? So that you can give me the run around for the hundredth time. I gave up on your company and it's woefully pathetic customer service a long time ago. 
    I'm very sorry you feel this way.

Please feel free to PM us if you would like us to look into this for you.

Thanks,
    Anna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭eir: Anna

DamoKen wrote: »
    This takes me back. Sounds like Eir...com haven't changed. Bought my first house in a new estate back in the noughties, fully wired and with phone point etc already laid. Called Eircom to get it connected and was told it would be the following year before they got round to it so I went with a mobile instead. 

A year later I get a bill for line rental for a year. Called and was told the line went active a couple of weeks after I moved in so I owed for the year. Told them I hadn't known, was told that's no excuse, told them I didn't have a phone other than a mobile, was told that was a mistake and they'd remove the phone rental from the bill (big of them). Told them to look at the account activity. They did and admitted there was zero usage but were still adamant I pay a bill for a service I didn't even know I had, never mind signed for.

In the end I demanded they show me a contract with my signature on it. Didn't have one of course so I just refused and hung up. Cue calls for the following few months threatening me with debt collectors, court, fines etc. Was only when I said I had talked with a solicitor and was going to sue for harassment if they continued contacting me that the calls ceased. 

I then went through a different provider with the active line. Not a chance I was paying them anything and never dealt with them again.
    Hi DamoKen,

I'm very sorry to hear of your experiences.

If there is anything you would like us to follow up on, please feel free to PM us your account number and full names.

Thanks,
    Anna

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

DamoKen wrote: »

Hi DamoKen,

I'm very sorry to hear of your experiences.

If there is anything you would like us to follow up on, please feel free to PM us your account number and full names.

Thanks,
    Anna
    I don't have an account number, never signed a contract. Something I tried to explain each time I got threatening calls demanding I pay a bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

so it's a 1TB "unlimited" broadband - anything over that and ye pay through the nose?
    an extra hundred a month for bingewatching netflix is a serious poke in the eye on top of your standard bills

Maybe ye should have that in your ads too, you know nobody ever reads the T&C's. 

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ImaCabbage

Always had similar issues with Eir, their "customer service" is absolutely disgraceful. Moved to a different ISP and never looked back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

grogi wrote: »
    RGDATA! wrote: »
    hi Anna,

[ ] limited
    [ ] unlimited
    In fairness it is the second. You just pay €100 extra for the pleasure.
    good point! i withdraw my remark!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Gaelmart

Just to end the myth that all providers have 'usage limits'.
    Eir even copied the words exactly from Sky but were too miserable too  steal the business practice. LOL Pathetic.!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The song No Limits would be very different if it was performed by Eir.

[font=arial, sans-serif]No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no ,no ,no, no there's no limit. Terms and conditions apply. Check our fair usage policy buried in somewhere in our terms and conditions for details of actual limits before you get shafted.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Doesn't have quite the same ring to it.[/font]

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

http://i.imgur.com/SrFzUk7.png

Chat window in the bottom right corner. According to Eir support, no one has reached the limit and if you contact them about it they won't charge you for going over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

Based on the images of Eir's advertising shown in this thread it is plain that it ticks the boxes in "misleading advertising".

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumer_advertising.html

Misleading advertising means advertising that deceives or is likely to deceive anyone that sees it. Misleading advertising may affect consumers' choices regarding what they buy. It's worth bearing in mind, that it may be an offence for a trader to advertise good or services if it is likely to mislead and therefore cause loss, damage or injury to the public. The following are examples of how advertisements can be misleading:
    • Claims made about the characteristics of goods and services contain a false statement of fact. (Example: A product weighs 900g instead of 1 Kg)
    • The price or manner in which the price is calculated, is misrepresented. (Example: Goods are not offered at sale prices, but advertised as such)
    • The conditions of supply of the goods or service differs to that advertised. (Example: 'free delivery' actually involves a fee or charge)
    • The attributes of the advertiser, (the advertiser's identity, assets etc.) were untrue. (Example: 'an Irish based company' turns out to be based abroad)
    [*]

Advertisements can be deceptive in other ways. For example, if they conceal or leave out important facts. (Example: '50% off everything' - really only applies to certain items). Advertisements are also considered misleading if they create a false impression even if everything stated in the advertisement may be literally true.

Any reasonable person (or judge) would conclude that the "absolutely no limits" message depicted in the images is clearly designed to attract consumers looking for that level of service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭175010012017

http://i.imgur.com/SrFzUk7.png

Chat window in the bottom right corner. According to Eir support, no one has reached the limit and if you contact them about it they won't charge you for going over it.
    They will tell you anything to have you sign up. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

Gaelmart wrote: »
    Anna while your talking to  them explain that its not the money so much, its the underhanded nasty way you(Eir) have of denying the obvious scam going on here. All hidden under a phrase. "Fair use".

Ask someone who can make a difference to  look at this image for 5 mins, then go and kiss their kids good night telling them to  be good.

That's for FTTH

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Real Psycrow

Originally posted by eir: Anna
    I'm sorry you feel this way.

I signed up a week ago and specifically asked the rep who was in my house to clarify that it was unlimited usage and he said yes and made no reference to fair usage or extra charges, this is scamming people and nothing else, it's time comreg take these people to task it's about as effective as the financial regulator in the boom!
    Get out within your 14 day cooling off period while you still can!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,286 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

RFOLEY1990 wrote: »
    Gaelmart wrote: »
    Anna while your talking to  them explain that its not the money so much, its the underhanded nasty way you(Eir) have of denying the obvious scam going on here. All hidden under a phrase. "Fair use".

Ask someone who can make a difference to  look at this image for 5 mins, then go and kiss their kids good night telling them to  be good.

That's for FTTH
    Which the 1TB fair usage policy also applies to.

Advertisement