Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir proof of stealing this month.

Options
  • 02-05-2017 3:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I've had enough of this **** show. 
    We have to  get TD's involved or something. 
    Last month they charged me €100 for being over limit. First time in 20 years I was charged for being over ALSO first time using Direct debit.

This month simply charging me €100 for nothing, again knowing its DD.

Their running a con here people. Wake the **** up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭175010012017

When does someone step in and stops eir from doing this? How it's legal to advertise unlimited broadband and put a fair usage policy with a limit in place is beyond me. I can't help but wonder if eir doesn't realise that they likely will lose these customers when their contract is up?
    1TB for a household is simply not enough in this age and their advertisement and sales practices are immensely dodgy.
    They're taking the mickey with charging OP for going over their dodgy fair usage even they only got close to it. This will only get worse if we don't do something about it. 
    It's also a joke that they don't have a tool for customers to check for this. The usage customers can check on myeir resets on the last day of the month, while billing period usually covers different dates. This is so dodgy and misleading, eir should be ashamed. 

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057733064
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057725499
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057576745

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭eir: Anna

Hi Gaelmart,

I'm very sorry to hear this.

If you check your billing cycle you will see why you have been charged this as your usage shown above is your monthly usage which would usually be different to your billing cycle.

I apologise for any confusion caused.

Thanks,
    Anna

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'd like to jump in here because I am still confused about the whole fair usage policy.

In the 'my eir' online facility it tracks your data usage on a monthly basis. It starts from 0 on the 1st day of each month and resets back to 0 at the very end of the last day of each month. As the customers uses their service, the data updates from 0 to whatever amount they use up to the last second before the monthly reset and then the months total can be viewed under a link view historical usage. For example if it shows that during April I downloaded 545mb out of a 1tb allowoance, is this total not an indication of what Eir see's a customer using for their billing period. 

As everyone could have a different billing date, each customer has to work out what they download, for example, if the billing date is 8th April to 8th May, does that mean a customer only has to be concerned about their data usage between the 8th of April and 8th of May and ignore the monthly reset?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Gaelmart

Now add to  that. The Bill says "Usage to 25 Apr 17" I kept my usage to  25 Apr 17 under the limit. Now they tell me that is pointless because they have picked some other month to base my bill on. Its a no win situation for the customer with everything setup against them. 

Only power we have is our 'custom'.

When does someone step in and stops eir from doing this? How it's legal to advertise unlimited broadband and put a fair usage policy with a limit in place is beyond me. I can't help but wonder if eir doesn't realise that they likely will lose these customers when their contract is up?
    1TB for a household is simply not enough in this age and their advertisement and sales practices are immensely dodgy.
    They're taking the mickey with charging OP for going over their dodgy fair usage even they only got close to it. This will only get worse if we don't do something about it. 
    It's also a joke that they don't have a tool for customers to check for this. The usage customers can check on myeir resets on the last day of the month, while billing period usually covers different dates. This is so dodgy and misleading, eir should be ashamed. 

Hi 175010012017,

I'm sorry you feel this way.

I'm afraid it is stated in our terms and condition that there is a fair usage policy of 1TB and all customers are expected to read the terms and conditions before agreeing to a contract and can be viewed on our website.

You can view your monthly usage on Myeir.

Thanks,
    Anna

• Advertisement

Gaelmart wrote: »
    Now add to  that. The Bill says "Usage to 25 Apr 17" I kept my usage to  25 Apr 17 under the limit. Now they tell me that is pointless because they have picked some other month to base my bill on. Its a no win situation for the customer with everything setup against them. 

I'm afraid if your billing cycle is from the 8th of April to the 8th of May, for example, your monthly usage would only show from the 1st of April to the 30th of Myeir and this is why it would show differently to the usage used for the billing cycle.

Thanks,
    Anna

Gonzo wrote: »
    I'd like to jump in here because I am still confused about the whole fair usage policy.

In the 'my eir' online facility it tracks your data usage on a monthly basis. It starts from 0 on the 1st day of each month and resets back to 0 at the very end of the last day of each month. As the customers uses their service, the data updates from 0 to whatever amount they use up to the last second before the monthly reset and then the months total can be viewed under a link view historical usage. For example if it shows that during April I downloaded 545mb out of a 1tb allowoance, is this total not an indication of what Eir see's a customer using for their billing period. 

As everyone could have a different billing date, each customer has to work out what they download, for example, if the billing date is 8th April to 8th May, does that mean a customer only has to be concerned about their data usage between the 8th of April and 8th of May and ignore the monthly reset?
    Hi Gonzo,

Thanks for getting back in touch.

Yes, your account usage is shown monthly on Myeir, however, you are billed for usage during your billing cycle.

If your billing cycle is up until the 8th and your Myeir resets the data usage on the 1st this does not reflect your bill as your bill resets on the 8th.

Thanks,
    Anna

Hi yammagamma,

I'm sorry to hear this.

Can you please PM me your account number, full name and package you agreed to online and the price advertised and I will follow this up with the relevant team?

Thanks,
    Anna

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

eir: Anna wrote: »

I'm afraid if your billing cycle is from the 8th of April to the 8th of May, for example, your monthly usage would only show from the 1st of April to the 30th of Myeir and this is why it would show differently to the usage used for the billing cycle.

Thanks,
    Anna
    I'm not an Eir customer but that's an absolute shít show. You say you provide a tool for customer's to check their usage yet the tool gives different data than your bill is based on. How is a customer meant to know if they are over their monthly usage if the tool is reporting different data than their bill is based on?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭yammagamma

Hi 175010012017,

I'm afraid it is stated in our terms and condition that there is a fair usage policy of 1TB and all customers are expected to read the terms and conditions before agreeing to a contract and can be viewed on our website.

Thanks,
    Anna
    it also states this, so which is true,
    Unlimited Usage
    Absolutely no usage limits

what your being sold in advertising and by sales reps also forms part of the contract

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Would'nt it be much better if Eir matched the usage to the customers billing cycle or alternately put everyone on a calender month billing cycle.

Thanks,
    Anna
    I'm not an Eir customer but that's an absolute shít show. You say you provide a tool for customer's to check their usage yet the tool gives different data than your bill is based on. How is a customer meant to know if they are over their monthly usage if the tool is reporting different data than their bill is based on?
    Hi AlmightyCushion,

On each customer's bill, it states the billing period and what usage they are charged for.

There are several different billing cycles for customers and this is why Myeir shows monthly usage.

Thanks,
    Anna

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Thanks,
    Anna
    To be honest you would think people would wake up and move provider. 

Advertising unlimited, then putting in a fair usage policy, THAT YOU CAN BE PENALISED FOR, is a throwback to wonderful Eircom days. Being kept a float gouging people in areas that don't have Virgin access.

That 1TB fair use policy makes me balk every time. 

yammagamma wrote: »

Hi 175010012017,

Thanks,
    Anna
    it also states this, so which is true,
    Unlimited Usage
    Absolutely no usage limits

what your being sold in advertising and by sales reps also forms part of the contract
    I understand your frustration, however, our terms and conditions are available to all customers online and you are expected to read this before signing up.

-Anna

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Thanks,
    Anna
    Hi AlmightyCushion,

On each customer's bill, it states the billing period and what usage they are charged for.

There are several different billing cycles for customers and this is why Myeir shows monthly usage.

Thanks,
    Anna
    Their myeir should show their monthly usage based on their billing cycle. Doing it any other way just provides data that is inaccurate and not very useful to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Gaelmart

The Terms are 600+ pages long and the usage limits bit is one sentance of size 6 font Text in the middle of all that .

Go look.

Have you read them Anna. Do you think a judge would let this stand for a 'resonable person' to comprehend.

What am I talking to you for? Sorry I know its not you're problem and you're only allowed to give one of 5 or 6 stock answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭strokeslover

Would'nt it be much better if Eir matched the usage to the customers billing cycle or alternately put everyone on a calender month billing cycle.

They can't con you then

Thanks,
    Anna
    Hi AlmightyCushion,

Thanks,
    Anna
    Their myeir should show their monthly usage based on their billing cycle. Doing it any other way just provides data that is inaccurate and not very useful to say the least.
    I completely understand where you're coming from and apologise for any inconvenience caused. 

I have forwarded your feedback on to the relevant department.

Thanks,
    Anna

The Terms are 600+ pages long and the usage limits bit is one sentance of size 6 font Text in the middle of all that .

Go look.

Have you read them Anna. Do you think a judge would let this stand for a 'resonable person' to comprehend.

What am I talking to you for? Sorry I know its not you're problem and you're only allowed to give one of 5 or 6 stock answers.
    I do apologise you feel this way Gaelmart.

I'm afraid this is the fair usage policy and is stated in the terms and conditions.

We do appreciate your feedback and this will be forwarded to the relevant department.

Thanks,
    Anna

Go look.

I'm afraid this is the fair usage policy and is stated in the terms and conditions.

We do appreciate your feedback and this will be forwarded to the relevant department.

Thanks,
    Anna
    Why don't Eir just advertise their packages as having a 1TB usage allowance instead of saying unlimited? It would be less deceitful.

• Advertisement

we are being mis-sold  a broadband prodduct just like people were mis-sold payment protection insurance policies and just because it was in the contracts didnt stop tens of thousands getting there money back...

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/latest-news/thousands-to-get-refunds-for-missold-insurance-policies-28891237.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭175010012017

Hi 175010012017,

Thanks,
    Anna
    What I love about this is that I asked the eir rep during the sales conversation if there any limits. The person said "no". Later they made me acknowledge the T&Cs in which it says that there is a limit. eir is hiding behind their T&Cs and allows their sales rep to lie in their conversations with potential customers. I spend countless hours on the phone with eir debating this. 
    As a result, I will cancel my contract at first opportunity and eir will never get another cent from me. 

"Can we lie during our sales and promise everything?"
    -"Yeah, just make the sale and end it on the T&Cs. We can tell them everything."
    "That's fantastic!"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Hi AlmightyCushion,

Thanks,
    Anna

But how can a user check their usage prior to going over the limit? So they are not hit with this charge? 

Surely if Eir have this arbitrary limit, then they have a duty of care to the customer to allow them to track their usage within the same cycle this limit refers to.  

Not only are Eir failing to provide a tool, or warn the customer they are going over the limit. They are actively misleading them into thinking they are under the limit by directing them to use the MyEir tool knowing full well that it show incorrect information. 

Also the misleading advertising on the website seems to still be in place despite it being reported last week. From looking here https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/ people would have a reasonable expectation to expect the product to have no usage limits since it says  [font=GT-Walsheim-Regular, Arial]"Absolutely no usage limits" [/font]

Go look.

Thanks,
    Anna
    Why don't Eir just advertise their packages as having a 1TB usage allowance instead of saying unlimited? It would be less deceitful.
    just saying unlimited is 1 thing but to say "Absolutely no usage limits" under unlimited usage is a disgrace every1 needs to get onto com-reg and advertising reg and your local tds

Hi 175010012017,

Thanks,
    Anna
    What I love about this is that I asked the eir rep during the sales conversation if there any limits. The person said "no". Later they made me acknowledge the T&Cs in which it says that there is a limit. eir is hiding behind their T&Cs and allows their sales rep to lie in their conversations with potential customers. I spend countless hours on the phone with eir debating this. 
    As a result, I will cancel my contract at first opportunity and eir will never get another cent from me. 

"Can we lie during our sales and promise everything?"
    -"Yeah, just make the sale and end it on the T&Cs. We can tell them everything."
    "That's fantastic!"
    I am very sorry if you were advised there was no limitation by one of our reps.

Thanks,
    Anna

yammagamma wrote: »

Go look.

Thanks,
    Anna
    just saying unlimited is 1 thing but to say "Absolutely no usage limits" under unlimited usage is a disgrace every1 needs to get onto com-reg and advertising reg and your local tds
    I do apologise for any inconvenience caused to you.

Thanks,
    Anna

Hi AlmightyCushion,

Thanks,
    Anna

But how can a user check their usage prior to going over the limit? So they are not hit with this charge? 

Surely if Eir have this arbitrary limit, then they have a duty of care to the customer to allow them to track their usage within the same cycle this limit refers to.  

Not only are Eir failing to provide a tool, or warn the customer they are going over the limit. They are actively misleading them into thinking they are under the limit by directing them to use the MyEir tool knowing full well that it show incorrect information. 

Also the misleading advertising on the website seems to still be in place despite it being reported last week. From looking here https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/ people would have a reasonable expectation to expect the product to have no usage limits since it says  [font=GT-Walsheim-Regular, Arial]"Absolutely no usage limits" [/font]
    I completely understand your frustration and I have passed this feedback on to the relevant department.

-Anna

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I have currently no idea of what my billing cycle date is. I was issued a new account number and installed on 7th April 2017. The myeir reset on Sunday night. I do not see a billing cycle date and have no idea when I stop counting my data for the month so will have no idea if I go over or not or when it resets. How is every customer mean't to keep track of their FUP allowance when everyone has a different date and the usage checker defaults to the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭niallb

You could leave the data counter exactly as it is and still have it be worthwhile and useful to your customer.
    All you need to do is bill the customer for excess incurred during a calendar month on their next following billing date.
    Requires no technical changes on myeir, just an extra line in your terms and conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Literally about to sign on the dotted line to get Eir in my new house coming from Virgin(Virgin not available). Nothing short of false advertising!
    As someone who works from home this could have cost me my job down the line, shady at the very least.

Advertisement