Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir proof of stealing this month.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Gaelmart

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Literally about to sign on the dotted line to get Eir in my new house coming from Virgin(Virgin not available). Nothing short of false advertising!
    As someone who works from home this could have cost me my job down the line, shady at the very least.
    I was on phone to Magnet there. (recorded it also :-)). All I asked was is there limits either download or throttle and he NO. 
    "Absolutely not." he says
    Its costing me €300 euro to  switch but Eir are going to  cost me at least that anyway before contract up in 7 months. 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Gaelmart wrote: »
    Literally about to sign on the dotted line to get Eir in my new house coming from Virgin(Virgin not available). Nothing short of false advertising!
    As someone who works from home this could have cost me my job down the line, shady at the very least.
    I was on phone to Magnet there. (recorded it also :-)). All I asked was is there limits either download or throttle and he NO. 
    Its costing me €300 euro to  switch but Eir are going to  cost me at least that anyway before contract up in 7 months. 
    Just sorted mine with Pure telecom there. 45 a month no messing asked 3 different people in there was their a usage limit , all said absolutely not , i had to laugh one of them stated "You understand we are in no way affiliated with Eir" music to my ears. 

You can change the logo all you want but deep down they still think they operate in a monopoly.  I know this is off topic but by the way Eir when someone calls looking for broadband can you please tell your sales staff to answer questions directly and not deflect especially by trying to ram mobile phones down our throats. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭eir: Anna

Just sorted mine with Pure telecom there. 45 a month no messing asked 3 different people in there was their a usage limit , all said absolutely not , i had to laugh one of them stated "You understand we are in no way affiliated with Eir" music to my ears. 

You can change the logo all you want but deep down they still think they operate in a monopoly.  I know this is off topic but by the way Eir when someone calls looking for broadband can you please tell your sales staff to answer questions directly and not deflect especially by trying to ram mobile phones down our throats. 
    Hi thomas 123,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I'm sorry to hear this and I will, of course, pass your feedback on to the relevant department.

Thanks,
    Anna

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

My contract is just up and I was thinking about moving to EIR, wont be now anyway.  
    Being allowed to call any service unlimited but there being a limit is just sharp practice that the regulators have only been too happy to facilitating for years. If everyone emails Comreg, they might have to listen and start bring in polices for the consumers good, rather than working for these companies.    

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Gaelmart

eir: Anna wrote: »

Hi thomas 123,

I'm sorry to hear this and I will, of course, pass your feedback on to the relevant department.

Thanks,
    Anna
    Anna while your talking to  them explain that its not the money so much, its the underhanded nasty way you(Eir) have of denying the obvious scam going on here. All hidden under a phrase. "Fair use".

Ask someone who can make a difference to  look at this image for 5 mins, then go and kiss their kids good night telling them to  be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭shelly22

I found out about Eirs fair usage policy last month
    Cancelled my contract and got sky which is unlimited and has no fair usage policy

I probably wouldn't of minded so much if I knew about the fair usage policy but the way eir are advertising their broadband as unlimited is wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭175010012017

When does someone step in and stops eir from doing this? How it's legal to advertise unlimited broadband and put a fair usage policy with a limit in place is beyond me. I can't help but wonder if eir doesn't realise that they likely will lose these customers when their contract is up?
    1TB for a household is simply not enough in this age and their advertisement and sales practices are immensely dodgy.
    They're taking the mickey with charging OP for going over their dodgy fair usage even they only got close to it. This will only get worse if we don't do something about it. 
    It's also a joke that they don't have a tool for customers to check for this. The usage customers can check on myeir resets on the last day of the month, while billing period usually covers different dates. This is so dodgy and misleading, eir should be ashamed. 

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057733064
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057725499
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057576745
    Hi 175010012017,

I'm sorry you feel this way.

I'm afraid it is stated in our terms and condition that there is a fair usage policy of 1TB and all customers are expected to read the terms and conditions before agreeing to a contract and can be viewed on our website.

You can view your monthly usage on Myeir.

Thanks,
    Anna
    What I love about this is that I asked the eir rep during the sales conversation if there any limits. The person said "no". Later they made me acknowledge the T&Cs in which it says that there is a limit. eir is hiding behind their T&Cs and allows their sales rep to lie in their conversations with potential customers. I spend countless hours on the phone with eir debating this. 
    As a result, I will cancel my contract at first opportunity and eir will never get another cent from me. 

"Can we lie during our sales and promise everything?"
    -"Yeah, just make the sale and end it on the T&Cs. We can tell them everything."
    "That's fantastic!"
    I am very sorry if you were advised there was no limitation by one of our reps.

Thanks,
    Anna
    All customers are being lied to through eir's misleading advertisement. eir is misusing the term "Unlimited" and continues to do so; even further builds up up on it. This is going on for years and the only reasons to keep doing it can only be that it works out for eir. There is no difference between me being lied to by eir when signing up and putting out ads that say UNLIMITED when it is in fact LIMITED. 
    The many times that eir have lied to me are countless over the dumbest stuff. An eir agent will say anything to get me off the phone and then do nothing. Everyone worked a sales or CS job in their lives and it's clear that this is a strategy. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

It sounds like you are actually getting a very good deal for only €50 a month, 1 TB is a lot of data for a residential customer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

jahalpin wrote: »
    It sounds like you are actually getting a very good deal for only €50 a month, 1 TB is a lot of data for a residential customer

Is it as much data as the unlimited data that's being advertised though?
    Doesn't seem like a good deal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

If I was a manager in Eir and I had a customer that was using so much bandwidth on a continuous basis I'd seriously consider showing them the door

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

was offered a bundle today from eir - decent price - phone , broadband , tv.
    but after reading this I won't be moving....the fact that my usage on myeir won't match my bill cycle is nonsense.
    Id' rather by pay more tbh than suffer that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭thomas 123

If I was a manager in Eir and I had a customer that was using so much bandwidth on a continuous basis I'd seriously consider showing them the door
    Yes but if you were a manager at EIR it would be your responsibility to show were and when this usage occurred, your right 1TB is a good chunk of data, however its still advertised as unlimited.

For me id use a TB in a month easily, streaming, downloading games, playing said games online. Every hour on netflix/youtube is at least 1 gb depending on the definition.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

that depends on what connection speed you have and how many people are in the household and how do they spend their time online.

for ADSL and FTTC speeds under 40 megs, 1tb is plenty and people are unlikely to reach it. However fast FTTC and especially FTTH services, 1tb is not much especially if there are 4 people in a household all streaming on different devices several hours a day. Wouldn't be long burning through that fair usage policy with parents on Netflix several hours a night and kids each one on a different stream watching their own stuff. 

For a situation like that, Eir have no option for those who use more data, it's a one size fits all fair usage policy across a huge varying range of connection speeds and customer usage patterns.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Sphinx's

The subject line grabbed my attention; glad I came was considering Eir for a new build - won't be now! 

I am all for fair usage to ensure no line contention; and warnings/fines for excessive usage but this is out and out money grabbing.

Eir are beyond a joke, I left them a year ago and up until last month was still getting bills and threatening debt collection letters even after repeated calls, letters, emails,tweets and pm on here to them. Their solution was not to wipe out the last 10 months of wrongly issued bills but rather to change the email and number on the account to gibberish. They told me the issue was sorted and that nothing was owed but then this month a call from an Eir agent telling me that "changing my account contact details does not mean that we can't find you". Joke of a company.

Gonzo wrote: »
    that depends on what connection speed you have and how many people are in the household and how do they spend their time online.

for ADSL and FTTC speeds under 40 megs, 1tb is plenty and people are unlikely to reach it. However fast FTTC and especially FTTH services, 1tb is not much especially if there are 4 people in a household all streaming on different devices several hours a day. Wouldn't be long burning through that fair usage policy with parents on Netflix several hours a night and kids each one on a different stream watching their own stuff. 

For a situation like that, Eir have no option for those who use more data, it's a one size fits all fair usage policy across a huge varying range of connection speeds and customer usage patterns.
    Fair usage should measured against previous usage like electricity companies are doing it to calculate the average. Most months I'm well below the fair usage, when I had to re-download my Xbox One games due to an error I went over it. By the way, I went over by 24GB and got the €100 penalty. 

In 2007 maybe, but with HD content and games getting larger a household can easily hit this limit. 
    It's also besides the point, if eir would not advertise that their broadband has absolutely no usage limits and there was a way to reliably check if a customer is going over the limit this problem wouldn't exist. 

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Green Peter

eir: Anna wrote:
    I'm sorry you feel this way.

I signed up a week ago and specifically asked the rep who was in my house to clarify that it was unlimited usage and he said yes and made no reference to fair usage or extra charges, this is scamming people and nothing else, it's time comreg take these people to task it's about as effective as the financial regulator in the boom!

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Anna while your talking to  them explain that its not the money so much, its the underhanded nasty way you(Eir) have of denying the obvious scam going on here. All hidden under a phrase. "Fair use".

Ask someone who can make a difference to  look at this image for 5 mins, then go and kiss their kids good night telling them to  be good.

Time to talk to Joe I think

Might be far more effective than ComReg etc

Image above sums up situation very well

Who's going to ring Joe? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Time to unleash the media. Shine a light on this. Money talks. Eir will soon chance their tune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Every month since I left Eircom in 2013 I've been getting an email to say I have a refund due for €67.75. I've contacted them a number of times but now I don't even bother.
    Nobody can tell me why I am getting them as I have no account anymore ('cause I cancelled it), There is no record of me at that address (even though I have bills for 2 years) Its a new system (ya right!)
    I gave up trying when they changed to Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,131 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

1TB is one million Mb >?

How is one going to use that in a month?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

1TB is one million Mb >?

It is actually around ten millions Mb. 

Johnnio13 wrote: »
    Every month since I left Eircom in 2013 I've been getting an email to say I have a refund due for €67.75. I've contacted them a number of times but now I don't even bother.
    Nobody can tell me why I am getting them as I have no account anymore ('cause I cancelled it), There is no record of me at that address (even though I have bills for 2 years) Its a new system (ya right!)
    Hi Johnnio13,

I'm sorry to hear this.

If you would like to PM me your full name and account number I would be more than happy to look into this for you.

Thanks,
    Anna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

1TB is one million Mb >?

Very easily, if you stream music/video or play games online regularly, or if you have a family with multiple people doing the above.

But the issue isn't whether or not 1tb is a reasonable amount to use. It's that:
    • eir's advertising and sales reps repeatedly tell people that there are no usage limits when that is clearly not the case
    • eir provides a tool to measure said usage that is completely useless as it doesn't match the billing cycle, leading people to receive considerable fines. They should either provide a tool that works or not at all. As it is, they're tricking people, deliberately or otherwise, into thinking they're under their allowance when they are not. It's incredibly dishonest.

Hi BorneTobyWilde,

The fair usage policy is 1TB of data. This translates to 1,024GB of data per billing cycle for each of our customers.

Thanks,
    Anna

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

1TB is one million Mb >?

1tb = 1000gigs, 1gig = 1000mb.

sounds like alot however mid 2017 with speeds of 70 up to 1000 megs per second it is not much. 

Fair Usage Policys originally were introduced to stop people 'downloading' masses amount of information back in the early days of ADSL. There were people taking the mick downloading more movies and music than they could possibly ever use. However, as internet speeds improved, the fair usage policys were raised to very respectful levels in relation to customer download speeds, and  for the past 10 years have been of a very small concern to most people, until recently.

In 2013, most service providers got rid of their fair usage policys in the UK, and as a result in this country, both Virgin Media and Sky as well as a few other smaller providers have no fair usage policy anymore either and offer totally unlimited usage. 

The internet today is a very different place to what it was back in early 2000s. For many people and especially families, streaming video services such as Netflix, Amazon and Iplayer services have become very common and will eventually replace Live TV as it is much more convenient. 

With a fast connection such as Eir Fibre or FTTH, Netflix can use up to 3 gigs of data per hour. Now if several devices are streaming Netflix at once, a family could look at 12 gigs per hour used. Over the course of a week, a family could end up using several hundred gigs of video streaming. Kids using Netflix and Youtube, maybe streaming on Twitch. Parents using Netflix or downloading content using Sky On Demand. None of this would point towards abuse of service, it is regular customer viewing habits, but the thing is all this video content streaming at 1080p really adds up, especially in a family situation. If 4k services were to be used, the 1tb data allowance probably wouldn't even last a week. Aside from all this video streaming, the data is used for everything else such as browsing, social media, games, patches, updates, audo, mobile wifi. 

I can see why customers are getting hit with excess charges and it seems to be a growing problem very recently. It is a clear sign that 1tb is not enough for every customer type/household and it is a problem that is only going to get worse. 

The Eir reps here are very nice, helpful people, they are doing the best they can, it is not their fault that there is a 1tb cap in place or that the website is misleading people into thinking there is 'absolutely no usage limits', but they can rely all these posts on to the powers that be who make the rules.

I was told that I was due a refund but when I tried to get it I just got the run around and it was so much hassle that I gave up. Did not stop Eir continuing to bill me for the account which was closed down with no outstanding balance on it, not did it stop them having a debt collector harass me, nor did it stop them telling me that if I did not pay them for the months 8 months after our contract was ended that they would ensure I was unable to get a mortgage or credit card as the "debt will follow you till you die". 

I was told that I was due a refund but when I tried to get it I just got the run around and it was so much hassle that I gave up. Did not stop Eir continuing to bill me for the account which was closed down with no outstanding balance on it, not did it stop them having a debt collector harass me, nor did it stop them telling me that if I did not pay them for the months 8 months after our contract was ended that they would ensure I was unable to get a mortgage or credit card as the "debt will follow you till you die". 
    Hi Deleted User,

I'm very sorry to hear this.

Can you please PM me your full name and account number and I would be more than happy to follow this up for you?

Thanks,
    Anna

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

1TB is one million Mb >?

easily.... for example, if you have 2 devices eg games console and computer, and you watch 2.5 hours of Netflix ultra HD content per day on each device then, without using your bb for any other activity whatsoever, you are over your "totally unlimited" amount.
    So to answer your question it is really really easy to go over! watch Netflix for a combined total of 5 hours per day

CALCULATIONS
    2.5 hours per day X 2 devices (@7gig per hour/per device) = 2.5*2*7 = 35 gigs per day * 30 days = > 1TB

Advertisement