Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maldron Roundabout

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

90% of traffic is going straight or left, yet they all have to use the left lane. hardly any traffic turning right here, so right lane is under-used.
    they should make right lane, for turning right and straight on, and left lane for left. I think it would help a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭ballystephen

Thats the obvious solution alright. Any idiot can see !

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

marathont wrote: »
    90% of traffic is going straight or left, yet they all have to use the left lane. hardly any traffic turning right here, so right lane is under-used.
    they should make right lane, for turning right and straight on, and left lane for left. I think it would help a lot.

That's the way the Roundabout at Scarawalsh north of Enniscorthy is used. I use the N11 daily for work and i have seen a lot of near misses using the roundabout that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Azatadine

ezra_ wrote: »
    It isn't that bad. Last few days there has been about 5 minutes delay at each round-about. It is hardly approaching M50 levels of delay yet.

You must acknowledge how bad it is every day at this stage? It's shockingly bad and getting worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭jd

Extra left turn only lanes before the roundabout might help the flow
    eg
    422059.png

I've seen them in Ireland, can't remember where
    schematically it is something like this

422062.png

• Advertisement

Yep. They would.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

That's the answer but is there the will in the co co offices? Not likely

Completely disastrous.....and will get worse when NR bypass is completed.

jd wrote: »
    Extra left turn only lanes before the roundabout might help the flow
    eg
    422059.png

I've seen them in Ireland, can't remember where
    schematically it is something like this

422062.png

The main one that should be done is the left one to NR. They should build another “left only” lane straight away. You could then keep the current left lane for straight only and the right lane for third exit traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

You are entitled to use the right-turning lane if you are going straight on at the roundabout, I don't see a problem there?
    Fair enough you can't turn left, but going straight on is fine by me.

• Advertisement

No. The right hand lane is for right turn only according to the arrow.

Azatadine wrote: »
    No. The right hand lane is for right turn only according to the arrow.

Well then they need to put a straight on arrow too. No point in people sitting in a queue of traffic turning left is there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

You are entitled to use the right-turning lane if you are going straight on at the roundabout, I don't see a problem there?
    Fair enough you can't turn left, but going straight on is fine by me.

so what are you going to do when the person on your left lane is going straight on too? game of chicken?

bruschi wrote: »
    so what are you going to do when the person on your left lane is going straight on too? game of chicken?

Game of having a bit of manners, we all want to get there but is it worth having a row over? Also if you look at the rules of the road, there are 2 ways of taking a roundabout.

bruschi wrote: »

I've played that game too - anybody who tries to cut in on me from the right hand lane ends up on the island. No way will I let anybody jump me.

Game of having a bit of manners, we all want to get there but is it worth having a row over? Also if you look at the rules of the road, there are 2 ways of taking a roundabout.

The rules are different where the road markings are different

I've played that game too - anybody who tries to cut in on me from the right hand lane ends up on the island. No way will I let anybody jump me.

I think you are right, cheeky gits doing that. Stay in line like others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Chiparus

After a while the council will make the left lane left turn only ( with no provision for cyclists).

If you want another trick, then keep in the right turn lane and just go around the roundabout so you end up turning left. I'm giving away all my trade secrets.....

It's no secret....pisses me off tho.

• Advertisement

It's no secret....pisses me off tho.

Nothing illegal about it, just join them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Unless you have to cross continuous white lines on the approach to the roundabout to turn right. If you are at the point you don't have to do this, you might as well stick in the left hand lane

Unless you have to cross continuous white lines on the approach to the roundabout to turn right. If you are at the point you don't have to do this, you might as well stick in the left hand lane

Yeah don't break the rules of the road for sure.

If you want another trick, then keep in the right turn lane and just go around the roundabout so you end up turning left. I'm giving away all my trade secrets.....

The right turning lane only begins maybe 50 meters ahead of the stop line.

Asshole 1. Car pretending to go right -
    Overtakes cars in lane on approach to the roundabout by overtaking on the continuous white line towards oncoming traffic

Asshole 2. Car going left -
    Tries undertaking a car in lane heading towards the roundabout

Major issue here 1. People no patience 2. People think there are 2 lanes along the approach to the roundabout - there is only one lane until about 50 metres to the entrance to the roundabout

Yes the co co, or whoever is responsible for that road, are to blame for not reconfiguring the area, but while it is like that drivers need to cop on and take responsibility for their lack of adherence to the rules of the road.

A GARDA at that roundabout for a week for an hour an evening would help sort the problem.

I used the trick of turning right after the Whitford roundabout and coming out at side of the Maldron for a while but that's all backed up now these days too. I'd say the residents on that road don't know what's happened with the increase in traffic on that road now that so many people try to avoid the roundabout.

I used the trick of turning right after the Whitford roundabout and coming out at side of the Maldron for a while but that's all backed up now these days too. I'd say the residents on that road don't know what's happened with the increase in traffic on that road now that so many people try to avoid the roundabout.

Maybe get some patience, what exactly is the rush, it's tops 10 minutes out of your day. Jesus. Play some funky music, think, have a smoke, relax.

It's not 10 mins at rush hour....plus I have another 45 mins after that.

Besides, it's an issue that could be remedied by adjusting the lanes.

1850 715 815 is yer only man so!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

I have been pulled by a Garda for doing this. I know someone else who got penalty points for doing this on the Whitford roundabout. Eventhough I didnt think it was breaking any rules.

• Advertisement

A lane to take traffic left just prior to the roundabout would solve all the problems there. I notice that's how the new roundabout outside New Ross is designed.

Advertisement