Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maldron Roundabout

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

Slightly related and discussed in this thread, but today I saw a van getting pulled over by a Garda car at the Whitford Roundabout. The Garda car was waiting on the far side of the roundabout on the Rosslare side. The van was traveling towards Rosslare, coming from the New Ross/Maldron roundabout. He used the right lane approaching the roundabout (as if he was taking the third exit), overtaking everyone waiting in the left lane and cut back into the left lane mid way around the roundabout.

The Garda car was obviously waiting there to catch this sort of thing. Its the first time I have seen anyone getting caught doing this. There must have been complaints prompting the presence of the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Mini850 wrote: »
    He used the right lane approaching the roundabout (as if he was taking the third exit), overtaking everyone waiting in the left lane and cut back into the left lane mid way around the roundabout.

I had that done to me, fair frightened the sh1te out of me when the guy swept across me to make the exit. Glad your guy was nicked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭webpal

They are often there and for good reason too, drives me cracked when people do this. Happens every morning, guards can’t be there the whole time unfortunately

On a separate note, roundabouts have very quiet last few evenings northbound, probably cos stena boat has been late

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

webpal wrote: »
    They are often there and for good reason too, drives me cracked when people do this. Happens every morning, guards can’t be there the whole time unfortunately

I've seen them there twice, the first time I saw them was on my way home heading back home. Sitting in the same place. I thought they were there to watch out for people trying to make two lanes out of one on the opposite (Rosslare side) of that round about. Didn't see them catch anyone though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭Azatadine

On a separate note, roundabouts have very quiet last few evenings northbound, probably cos stena boat has been late

Noticed that alright and was wondering why!! Hope it's late every day from now until the end of time!

Its brutal altogether these days. 25 mins to get through the Whitford roundabout and Maldron roundabout in the evenings now after 4.45. I sometimes go over Forth Mountain but it's a bad road in the dark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Changes to Lane Layout at N25 Whitford Roundabout
    From today, Thursday 23rd January 2020

Please be advised that the existing Lane Layout at the N25 Whitford Roundabout will be partially altered from today, Thursday the 23rd of January 2020.

For Traffic approaching the Whitford Roundabout coming from the Maldron Hotel direction, the Left Lane will be for left turning traffic only (R733 Wexford Town) and the Right Lane will be for all other directions (Straight On for N25 Rosslare Harbour & Right for R733 Duncannon.

WCC. GCPW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Changes to Lane Layout at N25 Whitford Roundabout
    From today, Thursday 23rd January 2020

Please be advised that the existing Lane Layout at the N25 Whitford Roundabout will be partially altered from today, Thursday the 23rd of January 2020.

For Traffic approaching the Whitford Roundabout coming from the Maldron Hotel direction, the Left Lane will be for left turning traffic only (R733 Wexford Town) and the Right Lane will be for all other directions (Straight On for N25 Rosslare Harbour & Right for R733 Duncannon.

WCC. GCPW

This will be tricky for a bit, people in left lane will still go straight and then you’ve those on the roundabout taking the n25 exit - both trying to get into the one lane exit. Hopefully people read the road signs to prevent this. Of course a better solution would have been to build a dedicated left turn lane only (plenty of room for it too) but that would cost money.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

vicwatson wrote: »
    This will be tricky for a bit, people in left lane will still go straight and then you’ve those on the roundabout taking the n25 exit - both trying to get into the one lane exit. Hopefully people read the road signs to prevent this. Of course a better solution would have been to build a dedicated left turn lane only (plenty of room for it too) but that would cost money.

I'm not sure you'd need three lanes coming into a roundabout. I dont know of many roundabouts that have 3 lanes entering it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

bruschi wrote: »
    I'm not sure you'd need three lanes coming into a roundabout. I dont know of many roundabouts that have 3 lanes entering it.
    Most junctions on M50 would have 3 lanes entering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Loads of drivers in LH lane heading straight for Rosslare today. Then you had people in the correct lane trying to exit at the same time. Going to be loads of knocks there

Loads of drivers in LH lane heading straight for Rosslare today. Then you had people in the correct lane trying to exit at the same time. Going to be loads of knocks there

Cant wait until ttwo HGv , one of which will invariably be LHD, try to go straight.

Chiparus wrote: »
    Most junctions on M50 would have 3 lanes entering.

A lads, we're not seriously trying to compare the Whitford roundabout to the busiest junctions and motorway in the country? Plus there is no actual roundabout on the M50 anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

A lads, we're not seriously trying to compare the Whitford roundabout to the busiest junctions and motorway in the country? Plus there is no actual roundabout on the M50 anyway.

IS the one coming off the airport not part of the M50?

You said you did not know many roundabouts with three lanes entering - I just pointed out that the ones on the M50 such as the N81 junction ( yes its a roundabout) actually have them.

You said you did not know many roundabouts with three lanes entering - I just pointed out that the ones on the M50 such as the N81 junction ( yes its a roundabout) actually have them.

Is the N81 a single lane secondary road leading onto all single lane secondary roads on the roundabout that would have 3 lanes off it then? Are we really doing this, comparing the Whitford roundabout to the heaviest traffic road in the country? I said I did not know many roundabouts with 3 lanes into it. That's because there is so few of them around

Is the N81 a single lane secondary road leading onto all single lane secondary roads on the roundabout that would have 3 lanes off it then? Are we really doing this, comparing the Whitford roundabout to the heaviest traffic road in the country? I said I did not know many roundabouts with 3 lanes into it. That's because there is so few of them around

The n81 ( r137 to be exact) has three lanes heading onto the roundabout.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2910937,-6.3296285,3a,75y,43.49h,74.97t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZi5ZVb6HtU1Mlu4TO5zAgw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Yes. The N25 to the Whitford is a single lane road that goes to 2 lanes for the roundabout. And now someone thinks that this single lane road should become 3 lanes.

Yes. The N25 to the Whitford is a single lane road that goes to 2 lanes for the roundabout. And now someone thinks that this single lane road should become 3 lanes.

Not me , I just pointed out there are three lane roundabouts - Ideally there should be slip roads to go left , then of the other two lanes; left should be straight and right should be right only.

There is often a 2 km tailback to the Maldron from the Whitford, there should the a left slip road onto the N25 , then left lane for straight onto N11 and right to Wexford town.

• Advertisement

100% agree there should be a slip road to the N25 there.

I notice they only changed the Maldron side of the Whitford roundabout? Some difference in the morning on that side!

there should the a left slip road onto the N25 , then left lane for straight onto N11 and right to Wexford town.

Wouldn't that mean though that there would be a lane coming on to the N25 along with traffic coming out from town merging into one lane. I think that would add to problems as it would clog up the roundabout for traffic coming from town/Ferrycarrig. Same logic would apply to Whitford. There are private properties on the left hand side of both locations so I think a 2 lane highway coming off both roundabouts, whilst would be nice are probably a long way off.

I think what they are doing at Whitford is a step in the right direction.

Wouldn't that mean though that there would be a lane coming on to the N25 along with traffic coming out from town merging into one lane. I think that would add to problems as it would clog up the roundabout for traffic coming from town/Ferrycarrig. Same logic would apply to Whitford. There are private properties on the left hand side of both locations so I think a 2 lane highway coming off both roundabouts, whilst would be nice are probably a long way off.

I think what they are doing at Whitford is a step in the right direction.

No, it would not add to traffic going onto N25, the traffic would be the same - its a slip road from the N11 onto N 25, there is plenty of room for it. Looks like they actually left room for it when they were building the bypass.https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.3377359,-6.5152747,3a,75y,219.75h,79.53t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s6UQ3a-0KRbGpI8No54Hg1Q!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D6UQ3a-0KRbGpI8No54Hg1Q%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D100.13368%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

I didn’t say it would add to traffic, I think it would add congestion to the roundabout. Traffic coming from all directions currently use the roundabout so at any one time there is only one lane of cars heading for New Ross. If you introduce a slip lane, does that not now mean that you have traffic trying to merge onto N25 westbound (one lane) with traffic coming from town/ferrycarrig.

Or do you mean a slip lane that would have to yield to traffic coming from town/ferrycarrig?

I didn’t say it would add to traffic, I think it would add congestion to the roundabout. Traffic coming from all directions currently use the roundabout so at any one time there is only one lane of cars heading for New Ross. If you introduce a slip lane, does that not now mean that you have traffic trying to merge onto N25 westbound (one lane) with traffic coming from town/ferrycarrig.

Or do you mean a slip lane that would have to yield to traffic coming from town/ferrycarrig?

Like every other slip road where you have to give way to traffic from the right.

Here is an example:
    https://www.google.com/maps/@52.3377359,-6.5152747,37m/data=!3m1!1e3

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fr0g

Forgive me for digging up an old thread but does anyone know what was the hold up at this roundabout last evening around 5pm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

Crash near Barntown around 5pm forced road closure.

I assume the Rosslare port increase in traffic will play hell with the roundabouts there now. Could be very bad.

Back as bad as ever again. Shocking tailbacks in the evening.

• Advertisement

I don’t miss it at all

Advertisement