Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contact councillors for Liffey Cycleway today/tomorrow

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

good that kenny can speak for cyclists as a whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

If anything all that piece showed was the ineptitude of Dublin City Council as an entity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

to be fair, ciaran cuffe put in a decent show.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    If anything all that piece showed was the ineptitude of Dublin City Council as an entity.
    my wife works in DCC, and the comment cuffe made about low staffing is an issue in there. not that i'm contradicting some of the other complaints made about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

my wife works in DCC, and the comment cuffe made about low staffing is an issue in there. not that i'm contradicting some of the other complaints made about them.

My comment is more in relation to no communication or joined up thinking between departments, as evident in the case of that apartment building being built but the planners of the cycleway being unaware of it when planning routes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

that's the journalist pat kenny was talking to earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 amyplify

tomasrojo wrote: »

Thank you, I saw that but not everyone who visits the website will look at this Boards thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Cakewheels wrote: »
    Snip

Yeah, but Cllr Burkes remarks, that cyclists need to start obeying the laws and must wear high viz etc etc really just shows his prejudices, all road users must start obeying the laws.

From what I saw and heard in that meeting, the Liffeycycle, if it is ever built, will be rubbish and too compromised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Cakewheels wrote: »
    I understand you made this point after a long frustrating meeting, but I'm calling it out anyway because I don't think you'd be the first.
    Can people please not make comments like this?

Good point. Deleted. Feel free to delete your post quoting mine.

• Advertisement

interestingly, the only responses i have got from the dozen or so mails sent on the topic, the responses i got were from cuffe, horgan jones, and paul hand - and the latter two support option 7.

Contact emails and numbers for polite emails and texts to the Transport Committee, and a few have Twitter accounts:

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-your-council-strategic-policy-committee-corporate-policy-group/transport-traffic

Emails: Ciarán Cuffe, Chairperson <ciaran.cuffe@dublincity.ie>, Paul Hand <phand@dublincity.ie>, Teresa Keegan <teresa.keegan@dublincity.ie>, Frank Kennedy <frank.kennedy@dublincity.ie>, Dr Paddy Smyth <paddy.smyth@dublincity.ie>, Paddy McCartan <cllrpatmccartan@gmail.com>, Deputy Lord Mayor Larry O’Toole <larry.otoole@dublincity.ie>, Ray McHugh <ray.mchugh@dublincity.ieL, Jane Horgan-Jones <horganjones.jane@gmail.com>, Kieran Binchy <Kieran.Binchy@dublincity.ie>, Ciarán O’Moore <ciaran.omoore@dublincity.ie>, Mannix Flynn <mannix.flynn@dublincity.ie>

Phone: Ciarán Cuffe 087 2652075, Chairperson, Paul Hand 087 3390561, Teresa Keegan 087 1469902, Frank Kennedy 087 3383972, Dr Paddy Smyth 087 181 9000, Paddy McCartan 087 2248817, Deputy Lord Mayor Larry O’Toole 086 854 1940, Ray McHugh 087 9369611, Jane Horgan-Jones 086 837 5219, Kieran Binchy 087 1774365, Ciarán O’Moore 086 807 2753, Mannix Flynn 087-2246664

Twitter: @CiaranCuffe @paulphand @frankjkennedy @padsmyth @councillorpaddy @larryotoolebohs @ray_cllr @horganjonesjane @KieranBinchy @mannixflynn

Sectoral members of the committee are:
    Derek Peppard, Dublin Cycling Campaign
    Frank Mulligan Irish Road Haulage Association
    Mr Keith Gavin, Irish Parking Association
    Fiona Kelty, National Council for the Blind of Ireland
    Richard Guiney, Dublin City Business Improvement District

i didn't bother emailing the last five people on the list. felt like i'd be preaching to the converted or pissing into the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I got replies from Ciaran Cuffe and Paul Hand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I got a reply from Paul Hand last night giving details of how the meeting went, he said that 'the can has been kicked down the road 6 months' and that 'more reports will be carried out on option 7 and option 8 in that time'.

So perhaps this is our opportunity to educate those on the disasters of option 8 and why they should change their minds and go with option 7 (that sounds like something out of the godfather :D).

Ciaran Cuffe mentioned in his reply to me that trying to persuade some of the other councillors for the locality would be a good idea, as well as the more car-centric councillors. (These are not his precise words.)

http://www.ciarancuffe.com/north-inner-city-councillors/

Option 8, where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream:
    The proposal for Option 8 is giving the cyclists everything they want — they still have a run from a to b.
    http://irishcycle.com/2017/05/05/lord-mayor-says-cyclists-get-everything-they-want-in-sub-standard-liffey-cycle-route-option-8/

amyplify wrote: »
    Thank you, I saw that but not everyone who visits the website will look at this Boards thread :)
    Oh right, sorry, I thought you wanted to contact him. I thought you might DM him.

does the lord mayor still get the free car for the year?

how about a bike shop makes a big full about presenting him with some fancy-schmancy bike and related equipment for the year, for him to use.

tomasrojo wrote: »

Will Mr Carr still be Lord Mayor next October?

• Advertisement

Chuchote wrote: »

Don't think so. It's a one-year gig, isn't it? Don't know when he started though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Thankfully not, this busy body Nimby will have to step down, just glad that the Mayor is only an honorary type role with no real executive power.. He's quite narrow minded, short sighted and represents the car park owners over the city centre residents

The Lord Mayor can cast a deciding vote if a meeting is stymied, though - former Lord Mayor Cr?ona N? D?laigh used her casting vote recently against a proposal that cyclists could cycle contraflow on one-way streets, causing the proposal to fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

i didn't bother emailing the last five people on the list. felt like i'd be preaching to the converted or pissing into the wind.

I still think it is worthwhile contacting the reps from DCC and NCBI. Presumably they are already against this idea because it is so obviously bad for cyclists and pedestrians but they might be interested in determining how widespread support (or lack thereof) is.

You might contact the car and business lobby but you'd need to change your spiel a bit. "I don't see why I should have to wait like a second class citizen while busses and cyclists go past me at these new traffic lights! We're the ones paying the road tax and keeping the city going! We should be dealing with congestion by getting cyclists off the quays altogether and allow private cars in to the bus lane."

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

does the lord mayor still get the free car for the year?

how about a bike shop makes a big full about presenting him with some fancy-schmancy bike and related equipment for the year, for him to use.

Not worth wasting on him but brilliant idea for the next Mayor. Presume there's a pact so do we know who or at least what party is going to get it? BTW Mayoral elections are always in june

Not worth wasting on him but brilliant idea for the next Mayor. Presume there's a pact so do we know who or at least what party is going to get it? BTW Mayoral elections are always in june

I think the parties take it in turns except in special circumstances. Will the current Deputy Lord Mayor (Larry O'Toole) be next in line, or is that how it works?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

I think the parties take it in turns except in special circumstances. Will the current Deputy Lord Mayor (Larry O'Toole) be next in line, or is that how it works?

Seems to be a pact between SF and Labour so guess SF next time. Not sure how helpful that will be for the Liffey Route, we'll need a charm offensive!

Seems to be a pact between SF and Labour so guess SF next time. Not sure how helpful that will be for the Liffey Route, we'll need a charm offensive!

It would be fun to bring the Transport Committee and adjuncts on a Sunday cycle along the quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

It would be fun to bring the Transport Committee and adjuncts on a Sunday cycle along the quays.

08:30 on a school morning would be better.

It would also be nice to find some existing location that has the same sort of conflict between pedestrians and cyclists that option 8 will create and see what they think of that. Leeson Street bridge springs to mind but perhaps there is a better (worse) example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Another reply, this time from Andrew Montague to say that while he's not on the committee said he would support option 7 over option 8 when it comes around to a council vote.

Advertisement