Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creeping over-hanging plant

Options
  • 02-05-2017 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am building a new patio. At the end of the patio I will have a small wall ( about a foot and a half) and then beyond that is my garden. I am ideally looking for something to plant in the grass that will drape down over the wall onto the patio to soften the appearance of the wall. Something with nice, bright colours would be great but not required. The patio / garden are facing directly south and not blocked by anything. The reason for wanting to plant directly in the ground (as opposed to pots) is the need to keep them irrigated.

Thanks in advance,
    Loire.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Creeping/trailing Rosemary would be lovely, evergreen, scented, blue flowers, fairly drought tolerant and useful in the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Thanks,

Any ideas what these are - they look like what I am after:

http://users.actrix.co.nz/hokpines/wall.jpg

Thanks,
    Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭looksee

They are mostly aubretia, which would be good for your situation. Not sure about the white one, it could be arabis but that can be a bit of a thug (ie over-enthusiastic), there is a yellow one that is more biddable.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭the goon

Excuse me for jumping in here but I have a similar kind of question. Our garden has a block wall between us and neighbour. It is about 3 feet high and 40 feet long. I hate it. So ugly and harsh to look at.
    I would love to put up some wood panels or have some nice creeper sort of shrubs to cover it and add colour. Anybody have advice suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Three feet high is not really high enough for creepers, you would be better to just plant shrubs or hedging in front of it. Which way does it face - how much sun does it get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭the goon

looksee wrote: »
    Three feet high is not really high enough for creepers, you would be better to just plant shrubs or hedging in front of it. Which way does it face - how much sun does it get?

Thanks. It gets alot of sun as it runs east west and is unobstructed. I don't fancy the looking after involved with more hedging so was just looking for something different if possible.

Advertisement