Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Collaborate colours on laptop- inexepesively

• 02-05-2017 11:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭

Hi,

What's the best inexpensive way to collaborate colours on a laptop please? The laptop is old, will be replaced within the next year (hopefully) so I don't want to spend a lot on it.

I use LR for editing but want to ensure that colours are as true as possible. (please don't post about getting a decent monitor etc. as I'm aware of the limitations of an budget laptop display).

Thanks,
    Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

It depends on how cheap you want it to be, a screen calibrator like a colour monkey or spyder would do and could be transferred to another computer in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I have a ColorMunki Photo. I've had it for years now, and they still make the same model. It's not super cheap, but it's less than some of the seriously pro series solutions. (I used to use an i1, and I loved that... but it was $5,500, and the ColorMunki $500 at the time.)
    A ColorMunki calibrate your screens, projectors, and printers.
    There are many solutions out there, including i1, and Spyder. There are some serious differences between them.
    The lesser expensive solutions are generally colorimiters, or spectrocolorimiters (I'm not sure there's actually a difference between these two types.) The more expensive ones are photometers or spectrophotometers (again, not really sure if there's a difference between these, or if they are just different names manufacturers use for the same thing.)
    Photometers are more precise than colorimiters, so if you're doing hardcore print production that absolutely MUST match exactly.. that's what to get.
    For most purposes the colorimeters are fine.

You might find some used on ebay or the like, which might save you money, but you might get stuck with someone else's colour problem.

If you're friendly with someone on here who already owns equipment like this, you might get them to do a calibration for you inexpensively, but it's something you should do with displays at least weekly, and printers at least monthly. (and with printers, it's once for each printer/ink/paper combination you use, so if you have one printer with two different ink sets and 10 different types of paper, that's 20 separate calibrations each month. Ideally any ink cartridge running out & being replaced should also trigger a recalibration of any ink/paper combinations that utilise that.. but that's not a rigid rule.)

Sorry if I'm blathering on. I have a habit of doing that. =O

Advertisement